News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

frame replacement

Started by dodgeboy67, May 20, 2011, 06:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgeboy67

this might be a dumb question,

i know there are some companies that make complete chassis for unibody muscle cars, but has anyone ever tried to swap a full frame under a b body? maybe a dakota frame, or even a shortbox ram frame? it looks like the wheelbases are close, pending on the model and cab.

just for the record, i am NOT talking about putting it on a 4x4 frame.

SRT-68

I have put a few different pans under b-bodys but a frame just won't fit. Putting a full frame under the car will raise it up and that would look terrible and handle badly to boot. Also, trying to channel the car and bringing the rails into the body will eat up all of the inside area.

For the record I have seen a few 4x4 b-bodys and they were pretty cool.

200MPH

Charger

dodgeboy67

For the record I have seen a few 4x4 b-bodys and they were pretty cool.

[/quote]

i have too....just not the look i am going for

dodgeboy67

Quote from: 200MPH on May 20, 2011, 07:03:31 PM
http://www.gmachinechassis.com/mopar.aspx

here is one and i think they are ebay too

they are a little pricey, and you have to use the components that they offer. i thought maybe using a stock frame would make finding parts a little easier

Mike DC

I'm sure a (junkyard donor) perimeter frame swap could be done.  But I REALLY doubt you would improve on the stock Mopar unibody in any way whatsoever. 

Kern Dog

Adding a separate frame? Sounds brilliant: Hey, it may be heavier, but at least it won't handle as good...........

472 R/T SE

dodgeboy67

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 21, 2011, 12:28:43 AM
Adding a separate frame? Sounds brilliant: Hey, it may be heavier, but at least it won't handle as good...........

gee................... thanx for your insight.

why cant somebody ask a question around here without the ridicule?

miller

speedfreak68 is putting a frame under his charger, maybe he could give some insight?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63123.0.html

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Mike DC

The Schwartz frame looks nicely made and it mounts the right G-machine suspension parts.  But I don't see how it could possibly be very stiff.  The Charger's factory unibody would probably beat it in a big way.  

I'm not trying to bash the materials and workmanship of the Scwartz frame but it's a matter of the raw dimensions.  IMHO you could create that frame by cutting the whole thing out of one huge chunk of solid forged steel, and it probably still wouldn't be stiff enough.  The final car would call out for a rollcage in addition to that frame to stiffen it up.  

Kern Dog

Quote from: dodgeboy67 on May 21, 2011, 06:48:15 AM

Why? Its because some of the questions asked are NOT sensible.

dkn1997

Quote from: dodgeboy67 on May 21, 2011, 06:48:15 AM

and your feet are too big and you smell funny!  lol  just kiddin.. and to your question:   you might be better off with a GM midsize car frame  like chevelle or early Impala.  No matter what frame you used, if it's OEM, you are in for a lot of custom fab work.

By the time you did all that work, you likely would have given your left nut for a time machine to go back and buy the schwartz one in the first place.....  If you want to do all that work, search for str-68's thread on grafting a 2nd gen charger body onto an 09 charger pan.  That has the advantage of parts store/dealer parts replacements, aftermarket upgrade support, efi, great seats, etc...   Don't forget that you're probably not doing this kind of custom work to an already done nice car.  This means with a frame that you will be replacing the rusted floor, inner fenders, trunk floor, floors, torsion bar crossmembers, etc...  with the 09 charger pan you can just cut a lot of it out.

RECHRGED

dodgeboy67

just to clarify, i seen the original thread on the scwartz chassis. i was just thinking, why couldnt you use an oem frame to end up with a more stock appearance.

but it was just a thought.

i am getting ready to tear into my car, and i am just trying to decide what direction i am taking it. if the floors and rails are trashed, i am going to lean toward more of a restomod.

there is a wealth of info and knowledge on this site, and i apreciate the feedback. thats why i am asking. i had a pretty good hunch that one of you either tried it, or perhaps knew why i shouldnt.

six-tee-nine

If you really WANT to restore a car you have then it is not a problem imo. Sheetmetal body parts are commonly available as are some frame rail repar parts. If you need other stuff there are still plenty of guys around that part out cars to provide you the needed frame rails or stuff that you cant buy new.
I bought a 69 B body firewall recently from a guy on Moparts that was parting out several cars and it took me less than 2 days to find one after I decided to replace mine.
Wether the car is worth the extra cost and labour is up to you of course.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Wicked72

hmm how would you run the exhaust with the G machine Chassis? I dont think they planned that part out to well  :Twocents:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected