News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

thinking about upgrading my front brakes any thoughts?

Started by towscum, May 20, 2011, 01:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towscum

i have stock disc brakes on the front of my 69 charger.maybe some drilled discs and double piston calipers, what brand? and where should i get em?
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

towscum

towscum

Rolling_Thunder

front brakes do something like 70% of your braking -  upgrade them if anything....       

If you want to go really nice go to AR engineering and mount some viper calipers on some drilled and slotted 11.75" rotors.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HPP

What wheels do you have? That will limit what you can do size wise. What budget do you have? That will limit the type of hardware you can use.

Braking improvements in absolute stopping power come from larger diameter discs. Its a leverage thing, more leverage, more power. Wheel size limits rotor diameter. Braking improvements in fade resistance come from being a larger heat sink to disipate the kinetic engergy into heat energy. Thicker rotors, better air flow, and improved pad compounds is how you acheive these gains. Improvements in pedal feedback at high speeds are about clamping force. The ability to "feel" and modulate heat in the pads and the resulting feel comes from additional pistons in the caliper.

Drilled and slotted, well, there is a lot of debate about the absolute value of those additions. The three above points will be the biggest gains over holes and slots.

Define driving like mad man, please. Is this jamming gears down the highway and whipping up behind people, does this include drag strip passes, is it autocross activity, does it include any open track days, or are you just going to be putting alot of miles on it drivign around town? All of these will have slightly different requirements to reach optimal performance.

kamkuda

The viper calipers work well in a wide range of driving situations.  A buddy has them on his car, Street and 9 second 1/4 mile times.