News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head gasket sizing?

Started by 1BAD68, May 16, 2011, 08:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

After 3 years it finally dawned on me that I might have been running the wrong head gaskets  :brickwall:
I have a .030 over bore 318 with a 4" stroker kit.
Lately my engine has a coolant leak from one of the heads and some coolant is coming out of the exhaust.
So late last night started thinking about the head gaskets I used when assembling the engine and sure enough after looking through my receipts I found that I ordered a standard 273/318 Felpro gasket kit. Would a stock head gasket for a 3.91 bore be too small for a 3.94 bore?
What size head gaskets should I get and what other symptoms would I have had running them too small besides a blown gasket?

firefighter3931

I'm not familiar with smallblocks but as far as head gasket sizing ; as long as the fire ring doesn't hang into the bore or combustion chamber on the cylinder head you're good to go.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs