News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to clean out water pump housing?

Started by sixpack_sid, May 15, 2011, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I just bought a used water pump housing from a junk yard and it's pretty rusty inside & out. I plan on sandblasting what I can see, but how do I clean the inside? Also, when it's cleaned up, do I paint the inside or leave it bare metal?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

terrible one

I would get some Evapo-rust and soak it in it for 24 hours. You'll be amazed!  :yesnod:

FLG

Muriatic acid works wonders, mixed it 1:1 with water or even 2 parts water (remember to add acid to water)

I recently did a 1:1 mix in my moped gas tank and the damn thing came out clean as a whistle, only took about 20 min.

Paint the outside leave the inside bare.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: FLG on May 15, 2011, 10:26:33 PM
Muriatic acid works wonders, mixed it 1:1 with water or even 2 parts water (remember to add acid to water)

I recently did a 1:1 mix in my moped gas tank and the damn thing came out clean as a whistle, only took about 20 min.

Paint the outside leave the inside bare.

I wish I would have taken "before" pics! I can't believe how clean this thing got! It was SO CRUDDY and RUSTY I didn't think even sandblasting it would get it clean! I dipped it in the muriatic acid for 30 min and it is IMMACULATE! It looks like new! I painted it right away-it's so rainy and damp here I was afraid it would start rusting. I'll let it cure and put the pump on and bolt it up.
Thanks so much for the advice! I would've been blasting that housing for HOURS and not gotten the results I got with the acid!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

FLG

I may have made a bit of a error, completely forgot to tell you to neutralize the acid by dipping the part in vinegar and/or baking soda mix :brickwall:

I highly apologize for that error  :rotz:

nrt69

i sandblasted the outside of mine....not a good idea. you can hear sand grinding inside....even after soaking andflushing it.