News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Charger SE stalls

Started by thebarkingdog, May 07, 2011, 05:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebarkingdog

Hi.  We have a 1973 Charger that starts and when the car heats up it stalls.  The ballast is hot.  We put in a new ballast, module, electronic ignition, starter solenoid and it still stalls.  Could this be an electrical problem or could it be the rotor?  Thanks.

flyinlow

Ballast resistors do get warm. normal.  Probably not the distributor rotor or it would not start.

Describe stalls.  Dies at a stop sign after a few minutes of driving or does it just quit running ? Does it start back up?

With the advent of electronic ignition , ignition drivabilaty problems decreased dramatically. A distributor pick up can be temperature sensitive and quit when hot,then work after it cools. Not common.

Stalling after it warms sounds more like a carb or choke problem.

Welcome to the forem.

thebarkingdog

When we had it running, it would stall after idling in the drive way a few minutes.  Now it turns over and won't start at all.  We were thinking something electrical.  We'll have to look into the distributor pick up.  We put a new distributor cap and rotor on it.

W4ATL

Try replacing the coil. A bad one will stop working when it gets hot and then will start again when they cool down. Easy to do and cheap to replace.

flyinlow

Check the choke. Should be wide open after 5-10 minutes. If it is not open all the way the engine will run too rich and stall.

thebarkingdog

Hi, We had the Charger running and when he moved some wires it stalled.  We've ordered wiring harness's for it now, the ones on it are original and are old, cracked and have splices.  Will report when we get it going again.

flyinlow

I had the blue wire that feeds  the ignition and alternator field short out. Shuts things down like a switch. Was just coming back from cruise night at the Mopar Nationals. Coasted into a Ford dealership , closed luckily ,and made a temporary repair. At least it did not happen right in the middle of RT 79  in front of everyone.

Glad you found it in the driveway!