News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68, 69 headliners different?

Started by jaak, May 03, 2011, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

I started installing my headliner on my 69. I got a new headliner, still in the box from PUI, and on the box it says '68 Charger. Now my question is the factory headliner I pulled out of the 69 was a one piece, the top and the sail areas. And you had the little short bows for the sail areas. Now this '68 liner is different, It has a roof section, but no sail areas attached, but comes with two triangular shape pieced (I assume to cover the cardboard pieces that clip to the sail panels). Make sense? Whats the deal?

Jason

resq302

To my knowledge, headliners are the same 68-70 for the chargers.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

DJReynolds

68-70 are the same headliner, most of the re-po headliners are done that way.
DJ Reynolds
Auto Upholstery (retired)

no40jm

I would say it's the wrong headliner. You should have a one piece headliner with cardboard under the headliner in the sail area. (headliner  goes over the cardboard) Legendary sells the correct headliner!!!!!!
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

resq302

Quote from: no40jm on May 10, 2011, 12:08:27 PM
I would say it's the wrong headliner. You should have a one piece headliner with cardboard under the headliner in the sail area. (headliner  goes over the cardboard) Legendary sells the correct headliner!!!!!!

You mean the headliner covers the cardboard but does not get glued to it.  Just so there is no confusion.  Originals were pulled tight in front of it and never glued down to the cardboard.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

jaak

Yep box listed as a 68, but it was a '3' piece headliner (sails seperate), the one I pulled out was a one piece. I got it in though, looks pretty good, I'll post pics later.

Jason

no40jm

Quote from: resq302 on May 10, 2011, 02:42:09 PM

You mean the headliner covers the cardboard but does not get glued to it.  Just so there is no confusion.  Originals were pulled tight in front of it and never glued down to the cardboard.

I think the headliner was glued to the sides of the sail cardboard.
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

DJReynolds

Quote from: no40jm on May 11, 2011, 06:49:34 AM
Quote from: resq302 on May 10, 2011, 02:42:09 PM

I think the headliner was glued to the sides of the sail cardboard.

This is the correct way for gluing the sail panel tails to the board.I have installed many of these headliners in the past, and every one that I did was like that.
DJ Reynolds
Auto Upholstery (retired)