News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 HEMI?

Started by DustinSimmonds, April 25, 2011, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustinSimmonds

I've wondered this lately. Is there a way you can make a 440 Hemi?   :shruggy:

Kern Dog

There was a company several years back that made cylinder heads that would work on Wedge blocks. I dont know how many sets that they produced though......................................

mikesbbody

It required so much screwing aound (external oiling etc) it wasn't worth the hassle.

A383Wing

"Ball Stud Heads" was the name I think...ferget the company who did them

Challenger340

Yes.
The Company that produces the kit is called Stage V Engineering, and the Kit is known as the "Conversion" Head.

It involves clearancing the Lifter Gallery for the HEMI style Pushrod Angles,
and,
the Installation of External Oil Drainback lines from the Heads to the Oil Pan
Of course, HEMI Pistons are also req'd when building the Shortblock.

I have built a few for Customers over the years, the last one being about a year ago.

The popularity of the Kits has waned dramatically over the years, due to ready availability of regular HEMI Blocks and Heads, however the Conversion stuff is still available as far as I know.
I do not believe you save much, if anything Moneywise, from a regular HEMI build. 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Troy

We've discussed it many times. I don't really see the cost savings since a BIG chunk of the "factory style" Hemi budget is in the top end (heads, rockers, shafts, valve covers, intake, carbs, air cleaner, etc.). Where you *can* save money is by using a 440 crank and balancer which allows you to use the 440 accessory brackets, pulleys, and belts along with the 6 bolt flex plate or flywheel. I believe you can get a dyno'd 426 Hemi for a little over $13k from For Hemis Only so I really don't see where you can build one much cheaper (I had almost $9k in parts and still didn't have a block).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DustinSimmonds

So would you guys say its worth making a 440 Hemi or just finding a 426 Hemi?

A383Wing

find a real one....everything will fit better

TK73

That only has a "screw with" the senile old guys who "had one just like that but it had a 440 Hemi"

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!