News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

<BSG> Unofficial Battlestar thread *And thats a wrap* :-(

Started by Khyron, January 06, 2006, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Well, I gotta believe they were telling the truth on not knowing where this was all going. :yesnod:

I guess I'm the only dissenting vote on the ending (and possibly the whole final season).

No sir, I didn't like it.

Starbuck is an angel (like Baltar and Six?), Adama (Bill) runs off with his dying Rosalyn to build a cabin on a hilltop, Sam is sent to drive Galactica and the rest of the fleet off to burn up in the sun, the other skinjobs are still out there with untold other baseships and the colonials/rebel skinjobs send their remaining centurions off to live life to the fullest on a pursuit of existential happiness.

I'm sorry, but that's cheese.

So the colonials/rebel skinjobs simply sloughing off the burden of their technology would be enough to break the cycle?

Judging by the teaser ending where angel Baltar and Six are in the modern world, guess that awesome idea didn't work, Lee. ;)

It just seemed like the writers ran out of time and had to wrap this up as neatly (and shockingly) as possible.

And yes, seeing OS centurions was cool, but what the hell were they there for?

Where they there just as a nod to the OS, or were the skinjobs running out of modern centurions?

I dunno.

I just know that it's over, and sad to say, I'm happy for that fact.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

TruckDriver

They said in the early episodes (season 1) that they still had the os centurions around as they still had a purpose.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on March 21, 2009, 09:27:45 AM
Well, I gotta believe they were telling the truth on not knowing where this was all going. :yesnod:

I guess I'm the only dissenting vote on the ending (and possibly the whole final season).

No sir, I didn't like it.

Starbuck is an angel (like Baltar and Six?), Adama (Bill) runs off with his dying Rosalyn to build a cabin on a hilltop, Sam is sent to drive Galactica and the rest of the fleet off to burn up in the sun, the other skinjobs are still out there with untold other baseships and the colonials/rebel skinjobs send their remaining centurions off to live life to the fullest on a pursuit of existential happiness.

I'm sorry, but that's cheese.

So the colonials/rebel skinjobs simply sloughing off the burden of their technology would be enough to break the cycle?

Judging by the teaser ending where angel Baltar and Six are in the modern world, guess that awesome idea didn't work, Lee. ;)

It just seemed like the writers ran out of time and had to wrap this up as neatly (and shockingly) as possible.

And yes, seeing OS centurions was cool, but what the hell were they there for?

Where they there just as a nod to the OS, or were the skinjobs running out of modern centurions?

I dunno.

I just know that it's over, and sad to say, I'm happy for that fact.

1. No one ever said that the cycle was now broken and the two people that might have known (angel Baltar and Six) were speculating on the point at the end.

2. I would venture to say it's not over and it's not wrapped up yet. We still have "Caprica" and "The Plan" coming so there's bound to be more pertinent info on the way. I've yet to see any show that was concluded perfectly anyway. Remember the last episode of Seinfeld or The Sopranos? How would this one compare to those efforts?

3. I thought the old centurions involved in the fight was odd too. No good answer from me on that one except perhaps the fight took place on the main Cylon colony and since there were a lot of old models still around it makes sense that's where the majority of them would have been. I'm sure they had a good reason for it or they wouldn't have done it.

4. I happy it's over too but for different reasons. I was getting tired of all the questions and needed some answers. The finale wasn't perfect but I thought it did a fairly good job of wrapping things up.

One question I have though is regarding Starbuck and her being the "harbinger of death who will lead mankind to its end." I can see how the last half of that sentence could be a word play in that her FTL coordinants led mankind to Earth (its end) but how is she the harbinger of death? Maybe I'm overthinking it. I don't know. The only ones who told her that were the jibberish-talking hybrids.

Also, I'm glad we never saw him again but what ever happened to Boxey?

Brock Samson

Quote from: bull on March 21, 2009, 02:58:26 AM
Quote from: Brock Samson on March 20, 2009, 08:53:28 PM
welp, from the special they pretty much admitted they never had a script or plan for the show.. ranger max and I were wondering about that two or three years ago..
let's just frack with everybodys heads... hell, we ain't gots to make no sense,.. it's science fiction!!  :slap:

You're the only one making no sense here... again. :slap: ;)

sorry to step on your tender sensibilities there Bull.. but,..
  I'm with Johnny on this,.. he pretty much summed it up,..
I felt the entire series was only saved by Baltar and Number Six, I liked some of the secondary characters but never emoted with the Admiral or the Prez... personally my favorite secondary character was Heras' Dad.
  I'm glad they spent more then five seconds on the out in space scenes...
I wont be watching any more of the spin offs though...

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 21, 2009, 01:42:40 PM
Quote from: bull on March 21, 2009, 02:58:26 AM
Quote from: Brock Samson on March 20, 2009, 08:53:28 PM
welp, from the special they pretty much admitted they never had a script or plan for the show.. ranger max and I were wondering about that two or three years ago..
let's just frack with everybodys heads... hell, we ain't gots to make no sense,.. it's science fiction!!  :slap:

You're the only one making no sense here... again. :slap: ;)

sorry to step on your tender sensibilities there Bull.. but,..
  I'm with Johnny on this,.. he pretty much summed it up,..
I felt the entire series was only saved by Baltar and Number Six, I liked some of the secondary characters but never emoted with the Admiral or the Prez... personally my favorite secondary character was Heras' Dad.
  I'm glad they spent more then five seconds on the out in space scenes...

I'm not sure what my sensibilities have to do with anything but I'll address your other points.

A huge theme in the series that you don't seem to be acknowledging is faith and the mysteriousness of higher powers being at work in the lives of these people and their circumstances. So asking for an explanation any more obvious than what you got last night is really a lot to ask. By that I'm not saying the people who made the show should get a free pass on how they explain things but I think faith plays a bigger role in the show than you want to allow it and allows the makers to be more vague on certain points where faith on the part of the viewer and the characters is required. A friend of mine also pointed out to me that during the last conversation between "angel" Baltar and Six they were reluctantly referring to themselves as gods. If they are gods than that would explain a lot as to who they are and how they were able to manipulate the events that took place in the physical world.

Overall, considering the fact that there was a lot of faith-based themes in the show, they did a hellluva lot better job of wrapping the series up than they had to. And I don't want to spend too much time arguing this because it is a fake reality and in the end those who created it can really do whatever they want. In this case I just happened to think they did a really good job.

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:
  I had noticed Baltar said "He dosen't like to be called that" when Six refered to "God".. and I wondered if perhaps the writers were making a point to point back to the "Old Testement"..
You make a much better argument then the series did Bull... I kinda' wish you were a consultant.  :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 21, 2009, 01:42:40 PM

Me either,

Caprica just looked plain dumb to me.

The other one sounded like a re-hash of stuff we saw before, but this time from the Cylon veiw point. What's the point of that? :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

I agree about Caprica. To me it doesn't even look as if it should be classified as science fiction. All the opera and none of the action of BSG.

bull

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: bull on March 21, 2009, 08:10:09 PM
I agree about Caprica. To me it doesn't even look as if it should be classified as science fiction. All the opera and none of the action of BSG.

Yeah, after seeing the preview I won't be watching that either.

Might check out the one that show's things from the Cylon point of view, but then again, maybe not.

If it's a one time thing, yes.

Mini-series, maybe.

Full on spin-off with 9 month breaks between seasons, no.

Maybe Boexy will get his own series.  :nana:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

bull

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on March 23, 2009, 10:17:47 AM
Maybe Boexy will get his own series.  :nana:

:o Yea, it's never too late for BSG to jump the shark.

Dodge Don

Just got back from 2 weeks in Florida. I got to see Daybreak 1 and 2 there on the Sci-Fi channel.

I absolutely loved the final episode. But it was pretty emotional as well saying goodbye to characters we've seen for almost 5 years.

I think the ending was wrenching because you see all the survivors fade into history while those that were lost along the way are missed or forgotten.

To me this was the best show I have ever seen on TV. Part of me wishes they had found the earth as today and had the forces of earth begin building more battlestars for defense against the Cylon race however from a purity point of view the ending was very good.

So Say We All

Dodge Don

bull

Quote from: Dodge Don on April 01, 2009, 07:28:58 PM
There is a hole in my life  :-\

Oh well, even if if was going to go on for another season or two it probably would have ended by now and wouldn't resume until next January. :D

Khyron

thats cold Bull :-P

But i'll admit, on Friday i was excited until i remembered it was over :(

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Dodge Don

Apparently the next BSG movie "The Plan" will be out on DVD in October.

And in a bizarre yet fitting scene....BSG was at the United Nations and Admiral Adama emerged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VCkyG_C2s

Khyron

I miss my Battlestar :(

I've been watching the last few on HULU.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

THE PLAN!

Just bought it and watched it... it was fantastic! Loved it, a lot of back story, and just some absolutely WOW fraking moments...

So much makes sence now, if you really pay attention.

and you know will understand why Cavil Picked the name John.... just.... dark.

ohh, and closing credits ... the opening theme... with a twist... awesome!

go buy it!

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Dodge Don

Just arrived in my mail today. Can't wait to watch it.

Khyron

do not pass go, do not collect $200, watch the movie :-) I need to talk about it... I'm in withdrawls lol

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Tilar

http://www.fancast.com/tv/Battlestar-Galactica/8792/1081382657/The-Last-Frakkin--Special/videos   :shruggy: 

I never really got into Battlestar Galactica. Not that it wasnt a good show, I just never really watched it. I was more into Star Trek.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.