News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wow. I had no idea it would feel this miserable...

Started by bull, April 17, 2011, 08:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

To lose my dog, Jessie. We got her in January of 1999 from the county animal shelter. At the time I worked for the local newspaper and I took her picture for the "Adopt-A-Pet" feature where they print a photo/description of a dog or cat in need of a home. The moment I saw her I knew I had to have her and so we ran down there the next morning and were second in line to adopt her. Thank God the first person in line had to pass and she was ours.

She was the best dog I ever knew. Sadly, about two years ago her health started to go down hill quickly. Nothing major but a few little things. Then, about three months ago she injured right rear leg somehow on the carpet while getting ready to go for a walk and that slowed her down even more. Finally, about two weeks ago she really started acting strange. She would always hide when she laid herself down which was very non-typical for her, being a very social dog. She would either hide under my desk or lay with her head behind a curtain or chair. Before she had always wanted to be near us and now she was avoiding us. It was as if she knew something was coming.

Well, last Friday it came. She had a seizure that lasted about five minutes. She'd never had one before so it really freaked us out but we called some family in the know about dogs and he told us it might (hopefully) be a one-time thing so we let it go. Early Saturday morning she had another one that lasted about five minutes too (you're supposed to time them) so my wife took her to the vet on Saturday and she checked out fine but they took some blood to test and gave us the number to a 24-hour clinic. Saturday evening she was acting strange too, as in running around the house whimpering as if she was being chased by a bear. Then Saturday night after 11 pm she had a seizure, then another one at 2 am and then a big one at 3:10 am, another at about 3:20 and again at about 3:35. Each of them lasted 6-8 minutes each and once she came-to she was not the same. Distant, unresponsive, unable to stand, etc. Obviously something was very wrong. She wouldn't come out of it and we didn't recognize her anymore. So we made the call and took her in to have her put to sleep today. None of us could take it anymore; we couldn't stand to see her suffering as she was.

I didn't know I could cry as much as I did today. I had no idea her death would effect me this much, even though I could see this day coming over the past few months. I've owned a lot of dogs and I've known a lot of dogs but none of them were close to being as perfect as this one was. :'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PS-LkEdq40

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

skip68

So sorry to hear of  your loss. Pets are very much family! (and usually behave better than our children!) Prayers with your family! Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bobs66440

Very sorry to hear.  :'( 

When I had to put mine down it was very painful. But the pain eventually subsides and you go on.  :yesnod:

A383Wing

we lost our cat of 16 years back in 2005.....it was real hard..we swore we would never get another pet again...

but we did last year....

time heals

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

I hear you Bull. We had to put down our eldest lab Iris last summer and it just crushed me. She was such a great dog and I didn't deserve her but she stuck with me anyhow. Frankly, she was always a mess, her medical rap sheet was probably 14 pages front and back but she was always right there with us.

Sorry for your loss.  :'(  It will be tough for a while but you will eventually get through it. We still miss Iris. She has a great resting spot on the far side of the lot with lots of irises to remind us.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BIGBLCK11

Sorry to hear that.  It is tough to lose a pet.  Focus on all the good from the past 12 years and how chance crossed your paths together.

TruckDriver

Pets are like our children. They get in our hearts, and you can't live without them. My condolences Curtis.  :pity:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mopar440+6

I'm sorry man, just try to focus on the good memories and with time the pain will subside...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

bmoparmofo

Sorry to hear it, I have been through it as well. Its never easy. Best wishes, R.I.P.
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

71ChallengeHer

hemi-hampton

Cooter

Damn Bull, Sorry to hear this. I know all to well bout havin' to "Take that loing walk" with a family dog. Hardest thing I think I'll ever have to do. Could hardly hold myself straight. She's in a better place now and she's waitng for you to join her again. May "Jessie" Rest finally...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mikesbbody

Bull, I am truely sorry to hear this  :'( I was in a similar situation not long ago. About a year ago, I saw a pure breed
British Bulldog at the Local Animal Shelter I thought "this must be a mistake he must have been found wandering and the Owners will come and collect him" but no, not the case and he had very little time left before they were going to put him to sleep. 2 other People put their Name's down for him one already had a Dog, the other's I was told were "not suitable" so I got him! named him Jimmy and I couldn't be happier! I have no idea how I'm gonna handle losing him  :'( he's my best Friend. Remember, you saved Jessie and gave her a good life! for that your deserve endless amounts of  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Tilar

That's sad to lose a pet like that. Mom lost 3 cats that she raised over the last year and it was like she lost a child each time.

That's a pretty cool video there.  :yesnod:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

kokxville

I'm sorry to hear from your loss,but you did everything you could.

Good luck.
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

hemi68charger

Curtis,
I hope you will find confort in knowing she's in a better place and in comfort..

Romans 8:19(KJV)
The lesser creatures await 's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HPP

You have my sympathy, Bull.
I do not look forward to the day when we have to do that for our dog. At 12 years old, I know it is coming someday soon.

I've seen a phrase somewhere that talks about dogs, as our friend, their loyalty, their trust, and endless devotion to our happiness, and how we owe it to them to be worthy of such admiration. I trust your relationship with your dog was one so worthy.

bull

Brock Samson

bull

I must say, talking to the cat isn't nearly as much fun. I could have conversations with Jessie and the whole time her ears would be up and she'd be tilting her head like the RCA dog, trying to understand. Finally she'd just give up and go back to wagging her tail. :lol: