News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to bypass the heatercore?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, April 15, 2011, 03:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Need to bypass my heatercore (non AC), is it better to remove the heaterhoses and plug at the waterpump or can I plug the heatercore and let the hoses still be mounted although the water can't circulate?

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

GPULLER

I currently have plugs in the water pump.  Took out the nipples for the heater hoses and installed pipe plugs into the pump housing.  Cleanest way to bypass the heater core in my opinion.

chargd72

I have heard that just plugging the holes can impede effective cooling.  I just ran a hose connecting the nipples.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

bull

Quote from: chargd72 on April 15, 2011, 04:54:37 PM
I have heard that just plugging the holes can impede effective cooling.  I just ran a hose connecting the nipples.

I doubt one would be much different than the other. If the coolant is not running through the heater hoses and core it might run at a slightly higher temp but I don't see how plugging the holes would cause any more troub;e than a bypass hose.

chargd72

You're most likely right.  I'm running a small block and the passages that feed the heater core come from the waterpump and intake manifold which then cools the heads.  It's probably still not going to make much of a difference, but on a big block it would make even less.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Charger-Bodie

I have pumped windshied urethane in the heater core tubes on several of my past cars. I wanted it to look stock with the hose in place . Worked fine on those cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: GPULLER on April 15, 2011, 04:17:30 PM
I currently have plugs in the water pump.  Took out the nipples for the heater hoses and installed pipe plugs into the pump housing.  Cleanest way to bypass the heater core in my opinion.
I packed the nippels with that hard two part grey epoxy.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mhinders

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on April 15, 2011, 03:13:34 PM
Need to bypass my heatercore (non AC), is it better to remove the heaterhoses and plug at the waterpump or can I plug the heatercore and let the hoses still be mounted although the water can't circulate?
Per
Up here in Norrland it would be unwise to plug the heating...even in summertime... :icon_smile_big:
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

amd5150

i was looking to do the same thing but i still drive in November and in Buffalo....
318 Engine
904 Torqueflite Transmission
2176 Edelbrock Manifold
1406 Edelbrock Carb
2177 Edelbrock Camshaft Kit
7803 Edelbrock Timing Chain Set
1065 K&N Air Filter
1/4in Magnaflow High Performance Dual Exhaust
M6902 Carter Fuel Pump
M72HV Melling High Volume Oil Pump
KD-2904HT Lokar Transmission Kickdown Kit
SRK-4000 Lokar Stainless Steel Throttle Cable Brkt & Spring Kit