News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much does a K frame and 440 weigh

Started by hcharger, April 06, 2011, 07:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcharger

I am building a dolly to roll a K frame and 440 and auto under my Charger while it is in the air. I did it a Mickey mouse way when I put the Hemi in it before.  Taking it out I just  used jack stands and then an engine hoist to lift car up and then slide it over. I think it would be more flexible to lift car straight up and roll K frame and motor under car.  Just want  to make sure the swival casters I order are strong enough.  I am putting a 440 in it for now and latter the new Hemi when it is replaced. I am guessing around 1000 LBS.  for the whole unit  but has anybody weighed  the assembly?
Thanks

bull

Yea, I'd say 1,000 lbs isn't too far off. I bought a pair of furniture dollies at Harbor Freight; one that has something like 1,000 lb capacity and the other 750 lb or 800 lb I think. So far they work great. I can wheel the engine/trans/k-frame/front suspension all over the garage no problem.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67850.175.html

One of the dollies I bought: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-38970.html

hcharger

Thanks For the Pictures Bull.
I am convinced that once  a system is set up for lifting, a good set of  dollies AND the front end  controll arms are fresh (new bolts and have been  renewed) this is the easiest way to re and re a motor. I think it is almost manditory for the Hemi re and re. I am hoping I only have to do it 2 more times. Once to remove this 440 and last time to put the replacement Hemi  back in.

Troy

Well, the "dressed" engine should be about 670. I'd say you'll be between 1,000 and 1,300 pounds if you put it all together like your pictures (front suspension, brakes, transmission, exhaust, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

gtx6970

Quote from: Troy on April 07, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
Well, the "dressed" engine should be about 670. I'd say you'll be between 1,000 and 1,300 pounds if you put it all together like your pictures (front suspension, brakes, transmission, exhaust, etc.).

Troy

As pictured with a 440 , torque conv + trans, K-frame, power steering box, upper + lower controls arms with spindles will probaly push it closer to 1400-1500 lbs.

Hemi with all the above will easily be near 1500 lbs

imo of course

hcharger

Thanks for the  hints and tips etc.
I ended up blocking the K Frame, motor, trans, and suspension on the floor at almost level. Then just lifted the car way up and  slid car over  the Power Train etc.  Had the car  up in front with engine hoist and  back wheels on dollies. Slid over like a dream. All went well. I did make up extended bumper brackets  to get the hoist further away from the car  for it did not get in the way when moving over. This 440 with the big tube headers is as tight as the Hemi was. Not much room  when lowering the car down.