News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Break-In

Started by Roger 68 charger, April 06, 2011, 01:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger 68 charger

68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

femtnmax

Quote from: Roger 68 charger on April 06, 2011, 01:28:17 PM
Has anyone tried this?
I had not read this, but YES, I do approximately this method of break in combined with other details.  Such as...
Don't lather the pistons/rings with oil during assembly.  Just a light coat of WD-40 or ATF on the cylinder walls and piston skirts.  Such as spray it on and wipe most of it off.
I have also read that for auto engines work the rings during the first 200 miles.  So that is what I go for.  Run the engine fairly hard in 2nd & 3rd gears, decelerating down from 3rd in gear to pull oil past the rings and wash down the cylinder walls.  Then repeat.  Do this on and off during some cruising around, then let the engine cool to dead cold.  Next time out go thru the same routine finally getting into the carb secondaries...working your way up to full rpm between each gear.  I even run my engine rebuilds back and forth over a nearby mountain pass a bunch of times during the first 50-100 miles pushing sort of hard thru the gears, but not to the floor thru each gear for the first while.

There is probably infinite variations of this method.  But yes, I would NOT be taking it easy on the engine during the first 100 miles.  Pushing it will also show if the cooling system is up to the task.  At a Direct Connection seminar years ago, they said to run the car down the 1/4 mile a few times at part throttle running thru the gears, then go for it...full throttle passes and your ready to go.  The car probably doesn't have maybe 5 miles on it and they are saying it is broke in and ready to race.  I would completely agree.  If the engine was put together correctly it will hold up.

For my latest Mopar engine build, I broke in the flat tappet cam for the 20 minutes, then let the engine cool to dead cold.  Next day check for loss of fluids, and retorque all fasteners that can be reached, including head bolts if possible.  Then warmed up and ran the car on jack stands for 3 miles to break in the ring & pinion gears, while waiting for the deep snow to melt off the roads.  With the snow gone, took the car out to seat the rings as described above.  At first you may smell paint baking or burning, if you get concerned back off a little, maybe take it home and let everything cool down again, then back out and keep pushing it.   JMO  
Phil