News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two questions about this Charger website

Started by bull, April 06, 2011, 12:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Not sure about a few items they mentioned, including:

4.  Incorrect 1968-70 Charger Tail Light Lenses:
It looks almost identical to the 1969 lens with the silver pinstripe with the exception of a rectangular shaped red reflector mounted horizontally in the center of the lens face. (New safety mandates for 1970 required that all 1970 models have rearward facing reflectors for better visibility at night) Weren't early 1970 model year cars (maybe just XH's) made without the rectangular reflector "insert"?

8.  Incorrect Console and Shifter Combinations:
All 1968 and some early 1969 models with an automatic transmission and floor console used an all chrome shift knob. Later built 1969 and all 1970 models used a woodgrain knob.  There are lots of late 1969 automatic cars that came with chrome knobs.  LOTS of them.

10.  Incorrect 1968-70 Trunk Lid Styles:
Later 1968 and 1969 models have a frame structure that is solid underneath. No top panel skin can be seen.  I have two '69s, a January and June car, and both have holes in them where you can see the top skin. 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemigeno on April 07, 2011, 01:40:27 PM

All 1968 and some early 1969 models with an automatic transmission and floor console used an all chrome shift knob. Later built 1969 and all 1970 models used a woodgrain knob.  There are lots of late 1969 automatic cars that came with chrome knobs.  LOTS of them.

This is another one that is not a hard and fast rule. There is a change over time period and would have more to do with plant inventory and not a calendar. Most of the late built cars probably had wood knobs but if a plant still had chrome knobs in inventory late in the year, I'm sure they got used. "Early" and "Late" might be nice guidelines if you do not know for sure which knob originally came on your car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

UFO

10.  Incorrect 1968-70 Trunk Lid Styles:
Later 1968 and 1969 models have a frame structure that is solid underneath. No top panel skin can be seen.  I have two '69s, a January and June car, and both have holes in them where you can see the top skin. 

I think they have it listed backwards.
I had a '68 as a parts car.The deck lid was solid on the underside(was the same color with no indication of it being a replacement).
The '69's I have do have the holes.

472 R/T SE

4.  Incorrect 1968-70 Charger Tail Light Lenses:
It looks almost identical to the 1969 lens with the silver pinstripe with the exception of a rectangular shaped red reflector mounted horizontally in the center of the lens face. (New safety mandates for 1970 required that all 1970 models have rearward facing reflectors for better visibility at night) Weren't early 1970 model year cars (maybe just XH's) made without the rectangular reflector "insert"?

My August 19th R/T SE doesn't have the reflectors, same with my Sept. 5th car below.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bakerhillpins

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2011, 08:33:44 PM
I had an XH 383.

I have a question though about white interiors. That K4 '70 up there has the orange dash pads, steering wheel, etc., but my white interior XH had an all black dash with white seats, headliner and door panels. So if they were going to be consistant with the white, wouldn't thay have white dash pads, white kick panels, white steering wheel and column, etc.?

They probably never had that combination because the glare of a white dash and other components would be way annoying when driving. Not to mention get seriously dingy in short order.

I personally love the blue and white 68 interiors!  :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on April 07, 2011, 04:57:14 PM

This is another one that is not a hard and fast rule. There is a change over time period and would have more to do with plant inventory and not a calendar. Most of the late built cars probably had wood knobs but if a plant still had chrome knobs in inventory late in the year, I'm sure they got used. "Early" and "Late" might be nice guidelines if you do not know for sure which knob originally came on your car.

While I'll add the usual "I ain't seen them all" disclaimer, I can say that all of the original/unrestored Daytona's I've looked at - including more than a few June '69 SPD cars - have all had chrome knobs.  That's not to say none were made with woodgrain auto shift knobs.  There are admittedly some Daytonas that have woodgrain knobs now, but they are all restored cars for which I do not know the history.  In those instances it's probably better not to draw conclusions from them either way without more info.  Maybe they came that way originally, maybe they didn't.

I agree with you that it was probably a supply issue, but MaMopar's supply chain for these must have been pretty weak.  Which cars got them and which did not remains a mystery to me anyway.  There is no hard-and-fast rule AFAIK, but I would probably err towards using chrome on most any '69 car. 

:Twocents:

gtx6970

same thin applies to the black door handle button thing.

supposedly, it was Dec 1968 and prior were black with Jan 1969 forward are chrome.

my old 1969 GTX convertible was a Jan 1969 Date and it still had it's original exterior black button handles on it

and my former Feb 1969 built car had chrome button handles

UFO

Isn't there some differences in regards to which assembly plant built the car?
Or would there have been one supplier shipping parts to all the plants?

charge-it

My engine bay is black and my new outside door handles have the oriiginal black knobs in them from my original handles.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

charge-it

I also have a molded hood pad with the correct metal clips but haven't installed it because I like looking at the reflection of my engine in the hood when the hood is open.
Visit our new website:

tan top

Quote from: charge-it on April 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM
My engine bay is black and my new outside door handles have the oriiginal black knobs in them from my original handles.

:scope: looks good  :coolgleamA:  any more pictures
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: charge-it on April 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Is the car a 68 or 69?

(Hate to be a jerk but are your heater hoses routed correctly?)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

charge-it

My car is a 68 and yes the heater hoses are routed correctly. In 69 they were moved off the valve cover and into a bracket on the inner fender.
Visit our new website:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: charge-it on April 08, 2011, 06:44:59 PM
My car is a 68 and yes the heater hoses are routed correctly. In 69 they were moved off the valve cover and into a bracket on the inner fender.

Thanks. Good looking car.

1969chargerrtse

Guilty on having my hood insulation on backwards.  :slap: Redid it today. Glad I have the metal clips.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bull

This is why I posted the top ten list. You guys love this nit-picky detail stuff. :lol:

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 09, 2011, 07:01:37 PM
Guilty on having my hood insulation on backwards.  :slap: Redid it today. Glad I have the metal clips.

yer air cleaner pie tin is turned the wrong way also....or do ya look at it from the drivers seat??  :D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: A383Wing on April 09, 2011, 09:51:42 PM

yer air cleaner pie tin is turned the wrong way also....or do ya look at it from the drivers seat??  :D
Really?  I thought the larger word Magnum should be read from the front? That put 440 the other way. Someone answer this in detail please.
Also what about the debate about red or orange pie tin?

Turning my insulation around was like installing a brand new piece, nice and clean.  :2thumbs:  For now.  :'(
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 10, 2011, 07:45:20 AM

yer air cleaner pie tin is turned the wrong way also....or do ya look at it from the drivers seat??  :D
Really?  I thought the larger word Magnum should be read from the front? That put 440 the other way. Someone answer this in detail please.

Huhh?   So basically you are saying you read "MAGNUM" as "MUNGAM"?  Thats why you also must read "440" as "044"  

Makes perfect sense to me....Im gonna put mine upside down now as well.  Thanks for the insight!

:slap:

PS---a few less trips to DD please or if you still must go get decaf or something....  :rotz:

;) :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ACUDANUT

Picky, Picky, Picky....Don't you guys ever give up...WHO CARES....IMO...If it came from the Factory that way...It probably needs to be fixed.   :D

69CoronetRT

QuoteReally?  I thought the larger word Magnum should be read from the front? That put 440 the other way. Someone answer this in detail please.
Also what about the debate about red or orange pie tin?

Think it through. Was the pie designed to impress(intimidate) the driver or people standing in front of the car looking at the engine? I'm pretty sure the driver should know what engine is in the car.

The red to orange pie tin transition took place in '69. Red 'early' and orange 'late'. My Nov 68 STL built car had a red one.

jb666

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 10, 2011, 09:08:10 AM
Picky, Picky, Picky....Don't you guys ever give up...WHO CARES....IMO...If it came from the Factory that way...It probably needs to be fixed.   :D

:lol: That's exactly how I feel. It's funny, but this past weekend at the World Of Wheels I met a LOT of "Mopar Experts" (self proclaimed). They love to point things out like "your lower doors should be the color of your interior". WHO CARES?? When the guys were doing my car, they WANTED (almost insisted) on doing them Tan to match the interior. I told them I prefer the body color.  Other comments such as "your radiator support bracket shouldn't be that color" just make me laugh..I HATED the look of my car with the Black engine bay, so when the opportunity came up, it was changed to match the body color.  To the guy doing a 100% factory correct restoration and is being judged on accuracy, fine.. But most of us have our cars(key word OUR) done the way we want.  The purists, IMO, can go pound sand.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 10, 2011, 08:45:18 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 10, 2011, 07:45:20 AM

Huhh?   So basically you are saying you read "MAGNUM" as "MUNGAM"? That's why you also must read "440" as "044"  

Makes perfect sense to me....I'm gonna put mine upside down now as well. Thanks for the insight!

:slap:

PS---a few less trips to DD please or if you still must go get decaf or something....  :rotz:

;) :nana:
To you I'd like to say, you are all New Yorker. You and another Chris I know have a way with words.  :2guns:
You people will find this hard to believe but I really never looked close at the word direction. :slap: I'm 100% wrong, what Chris said was correct, and what I was saying made no sense. :smilielol:
I went outside to look at my car, because I actually drive mine unlike some people here with comments, and turned the tin around.  Ahhh ha ha  I can't believe it. What a toon.( me ) .
I do like some of the nit picking info. On this site I don't mind it, but if I'm showing someone the car, just say " wow great shape ".
Been backwards for 3 years and someone finally noticed it. Thanks.  :2thumbs:

I've come a long way with this engine compartment.  Used to have a truck block, headers all mis matched this and that, and the engine was painted while in the car.  And of course the rear main poured oil.