News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 Harmonic Balancer

Started by nrt69, March 24, 2011, 08:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

can I use the old harmonic balancer off the 360 im building, or should I buy a new one?
If a new one, does anyone know of a reasonably priced replacement?

tricky lugnuts

As to whether you can reuse it or not, they can degrade over time, so close visual inspection is warranted. You want to make sure it hasn't "slipped," i.e. that it still gives accurate display of timing marks.

Looks like Summit sells an OEM style non-SFI balancer for about about $80 - should be OK for a stock rebuild - and they go from there up to $400 plus, depending on how radical of an engine you're building and how radical of a balancer you want.

Of course, I ordered a new low-dollar balancer like that for my 440 build (not from Summit) and the machinist bolted it on and found the indicator off by about 5 degrees - so be careful with any new parts you order. After that, I reused my original like you're considering, albeit with a repair sleeve.

Also, 360 engine is external balance, so if you do get a new one make sure you get the right kind.

John_Kunkel

You might consider purchasing a rebuilt or having yours rebuilt.

http://www.damperdudes.net//index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=3dc943923b9c79e3d3e3565672ab47fd
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.