News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carpet advice - would like to order one today!

Started by BananaDan, March 17, 2011, 10:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I have heard good things about ECS's carpets (pricey), and ACC's carpets have been recommended as well (more reasonable).  I called Herb's and Bob says he carries Trim Parts carpets.  Legendary carries both ACC and Trim Parts for the same price and you can specify which you want.

So, I am 90% leaning towards ACC and legendary seems to have the best price $165 versus $245 on ACC's site.  Does anyone know about Trim Parts' carpets?  Legendary told me that they are almost the same thing, they use the same material.  They said Mopar guys tend to stick to ACC and GM guys tend to stick to Trim Parts.

Maybe it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other?

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

twodko

I bought my interior from Legendary and I'm happy with all of it except the carpet. Carpet is crap and the finished sewn edge of the front piece began to fuzz while the guy was installing it and the carpet has separated from the plastic grommet the high beam button goes through. I'd go with another carpet supplier.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BananaDan

Do you know if yours was a Trim Parts or ACC carpet?  They carry both for the same price.

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Bleh, Legendary is just delay after delay these days.  Two weeks for them to get the carpet, then ship to me.  I ended up ordering from Year One with a 20% code, ended up being $145 plus shipping, about $100 less than ACC direct on their website (for some reason).  Year One confirmed they carry only ACC carpets.  We'll see how it goes.

Dan

twodko

I don't know who made my carpeting but it did take a couple weeks to arrive. I hope yours is of much better quality.

Just 6T9 CHGR

ECS is the way to go.....spend the extra coin now & you'll never have to worry about it.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bobs66440

I recently installed mine and it's Trim Parts. The quality isn't bad but the molding and fit in some places isn't great. It just didn't lay down very well. And some of the edging isn't factory. The worst part is the vinyl pad under the pedals. The vinyl is kind of wavy.  This is also my first time so I may be doing some things wrong. Overall I'm not thrilled with it, but will the others be better? You'll find out when you install it.

BTW, I got it from Dante's and it shipped right away.

Bob

CornDogsCharger

Wow!  So many mixed responses.  I remember reading Dante's was the best, right under ECS's carpet.  I don't know who Dante's supplier is though.  I have used ACC (through Legendary) on most all of the car I have done and they seemed to lay out nice and the molded form seemed to fit good too.  Whatever you do... as soon as you get it, go ahead and pull it out of the box and lay it flat.  The shorter time it is rolled up in the box, the better.  A day or so sitting out in the sun helps too. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

bobs66440

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 20, 2011, 09:54:59 AM
 I don't know who Dante's supplier is though.    

Justin
"CornDog"
Dante's carries Trim Parts. That's who I got mine from.

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

68r/t

I got Trim Parts  carpet and the fit around the tunnel is terrible,  keep away .

Charger-Bodie

The ECS carpet is more expencsive because its FAR better.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

I got ACC and all I can say is will try another one next time ( if I need ). Not bad but I expected better. Got some trimming issues due didn't match correctly in some areas. Rubber pad is not EXACTLY where it should be
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BananaDan

I spoke with ECS today and they told me there is no holes cut for the dimmer switch or the seat holes, and they do not provide the plastic grommet for the dimmer switch hole.  I found that odd/interesting considering the accuracy they claim and the price they ask for.  I already had the ACC carpet on order, so I'm going to see how that fits.  If it fits I'll stick with it, if not I'll return it and get an ECS carpet.  For less than 1/2 the price it's worth the shot.

Dan

resq302

from an assembly drawing sheet, I seem to remember that the plastic ring around the high beam switch was never a factory item on mopars.  They are always there though on repro carpets.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on March 22, 2011, 03:46:54 PM
from an assembly drawing sheet, I seem to remember that the plastic ring around the high beam switch was never a factory item on mopars.  They are always there though on repro carpets.

I agree.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BananaDan

Interesting, I was under the impression that they were factory.  Thanks for the info.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 22, 2011, 04:16:37 PM
from an assembly drawing sheet, I seem to remember that the plastic ring around the high beam switch was never a factory item on mopars.  They are always there though on repro carpets.

I agree.

I third...but thank goodness the repro I got 15 years ago from ACC had it because I screwed up BIG TIME cutting the hole for the dimmer :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

doctor4766

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 22, 2011, 05:08:07 PM
from an assembly drawing sheet, I seem to remember that the plastic ring around the high beam switch was never a factory item on mopars.  They are always there though on repro carpets.

I agree.

I third...but thank goodness the repro I got 15 years ago from ACC had it because I screwed up BIG TIME cutting the hole for the dimmer :rotz:
Yeah me too.
So how did the factory do it? Was the hole stitched around?
Gotta love a '69

BananaDan

What do you guys recommend for cutting the hole for the dimmer, and the holes for the seat track studs?  A razor knife and careful cutting?  For the seat holes, do you actually cut a hole the size required for the studs, or do you do more of an X slit so the studs can pass through (remove material or not)?

Dan

doctor4766

Quote from: BananaDan on March 22, 2011, 06:20:57 PM
What do you guys recommend for cutting the hole for the dimmer, and the holes for the seat track studs?  A razor knife and careful cutting?  For the seat holes, do you actually cut a hole the size required for the studs, or do you do more of an X slit so the studs can pass through (remove material or not)?

Dan

I used a utility knife to cut the seat holes. Worked great.
I also used the same knife to cut the hole for the dimmer switch.. not so great.
In hindsight I should have used scissors for that hole as it's easy to accidentally slice too far with a blade like I did.
In fact I'd go as far as saying fit up the carpet with the switch underneath it and even stretch it out and fit the kick panels on if you can. Then mark where the centre of the switch hits the carper, cut a small hole first to allow the carpet to sit in it's correct position and THEN remark and cut the bigger hole. It's easy to be just a few millimetres off and get the hole wrong otherwise.
Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

For the dimmer switch:
I unscrewed the dimmer switch from the floor so I could lay the carpet flat and mark where the hole goes. If you try to do it with the switch installed it will be very difficult to get it in the right spot. Then I carefully cut a hole about the size of the inside of the grommet with a sharp razor blade. It worked perfectly. Just make sure the carpet is exactly where you want it before marking it.

For the seat studs:
I am going to do the same as I did for the gas pedal studs. I ran a small drill bit up from the bottom through the carpet then stuck a punch down from the top to hold the spot. If there's no jute padding under the carpet you can probably get away with just running a bigger drill bit through to make the hole (the danger with that is the drill possibly grabbing a fiber thread and yanking it out, damaging the carpet), I would just use a razor blade to cut a small hole from the back. If there's jute you will have to struggle with it and use a razor blade or knife to cut it away and clear a hole.

twodko

bobs66440 dimmer switch idea is a good one. For the seat stud/gas pedal holes I used an old PC board soldering iron and melted clean holes right through. :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

I agree.

I removed the original carpet on my car and it did have the rubber ring... altough repro is plastic
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html