News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why isnt anyone restoring custom vans?

Started by jeryst, February 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adauto

Ahh yes the van craze days. I went through that phase myself. Admit it sure helped getting laid. I had 3 differnt vans over the years, my first was in my last yearof high school. For my woodshop project I made a bed for my van. Raised lots of eyebrows till the shop teacher saw I was serious. Still took crap for it the whole year. But I had classmates who understood the concept so to speak. Did up the upolhstery nice with storage cabinets underneath. It still resides in my mom's basement!! 

Even back then with vans MA did some pretty wierd $hit. I had a 68 "doorless" for awhile. Talk about a low production vehicle. There were NO side cargo doors (hence doorless). In those days MA also had a few units with side cargo doors on both sides! Mine was LWB/V8/727 witha bunch of mods  and an Earl Shieib paint job!   :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

LeeBoy

Another cool van from the day
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

LOREK41

sweet van i like it
here is my next build

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Richard Cranium

Quit yo Jibber-jabber! If I ever catch you acting like a crazy fool again, you're gonna meet my friend pain!

I pity the fool.
I am Dr. Remulac

downie519

Here is the thing. These vans are being restored and are still being customized. Check out showvans.com, vannin.com, americanvanclub.com
vanner, not just an owner
Mopar fanatic, I have owned: 71 Challenger, 73 Cuda, 74 Charger 79 Ramcharger, Currently customizing an 89 Dodge B-150 Van Scarlette Widow

nvrbdn

glad you rekindled this thread. i just picked up a cargo van im puttin together right now. i will check those sites out.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Musicman

Last year the wife & I were invited to a camp out beside a river up in the mountains about 10 miles from anywhere. The beer was flowing, Bands played all night long thanks to a portable generator, just a big all night party really... Half the vehicles that showed up were part of a Van Club from the New England area. A lot of old school customs... we even had one of those old VW Camper vans with the pop-up roof camped right next to us... Bright frigg'n Lime Green with a White top and trim... it was actually pretty cool.  :lol:
Like most folks here, I hadn't really seen any of the old custom vans around either, so this was a real treat as well as an eye opener.

nvrbdn

it was alot of fun vannin. i started in 76 in california when i lived in victorville. was in a club called "passin thru vans".thats when it was huge and would have 1500 vans show up to a weekend party. now days a regular van run will have 50-75 vans and the national event will have 500 if lucky. but they are still fun.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BigBlockSam

Quote1500 vans

yea, i remember those days . i went to a couple of Van Nationals and they had about 2000 vans . wild times  and very little sleep  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nvrbdn

heres a few pic's the first is my tire cover on my pink floyd van.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

mean chopped dodge
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

another early dodge
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more, notice the 77 style charger/cordoba front end on the dodge van
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

doctor4766

Here in Oz we had lots of custom vans in the 70' and 80s.
Most of our breed were based on the same models you could buy in a sedan, station wagon or ute though,not purely a van model on it's own.
And we called them panel vans or PV's for short.
It was a parent's worst nightmare if their daughter was dating a bloke with a panel van. Especially when the PV donned stickers like "If this vans rocking, don't come knocking" & "Don't laugh,your daughter may be inside"

Here's a link to an story done by the ABC (Australian Bradcasting Commission) back in 1977.
Enjoy.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/05/09/3211117.htm
Gotta love a '69

Fred

I remember those days only too well..............sigh!
It always amazes me that they never really made a comeback............not sure you can do in the back of a ute what you could in a panel van. :D

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

troy.70R/T

HalfastJav

Quote from: jeryst on February 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PM
Over the years, I've had a lot of vehicles. Back in the 70's, along with my muscle cars, I also had a dodge van with a custom paint job.

Used to go to "truck-ins" and "van-ins" all over the place. Had a great time.
Got drunk, stoned, screwed. Not necessarily in that order.

Everyone is restoring antique cars, muscle cars, classic trucks, even station wagons, so I
was just wondering why no one is reviving the old custom vans.
I have seen one dude at the All Mopar Spring Roundup in Wa state that had a badazz Dodge Van totally retro w/beer fridge wood floor diamond tuck panels, C/B and tons of chrome...... since then....nada.

I like the Vans and Trucks too.

bobs66440

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 10, 2011, 01:34:46 AM
Here in Oz we had lots of custom vans in the 70' and 80s.
Most of our breed were based on the same models you could buy in a sedan, station wagon or ute though,not purely a van model on it's own.
And we called them panel vans or PV's for short.
It was a parent's worst nightmare if their daughter was dating a bloke with a panel van. Especially when the PV donned stickers like "If this vans rocking, don't come knocking" & "Don't laugh,your daughter may be inside"

Here's a link to an story done by the ABC (Australian Bradcasting Commission) back in 1977.
Enjoy.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/05/09/3211117.htm

Cool video! Thanks  :2thumbs:

68coronetGLwannabe

This is as restored as mine will probably get. Still a blast to drive.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

djcarguy

back in the day ,the ladies were hot and hairy,ready willing and able......hot bodys ,hairy as long pretty hair.....now day yes their are hot and hairy,but the hot is from hot flashes and the hairy is on their faces and other parts unshaved ,and not the pretty long hair of younger years.....and now they are ready willing and able to divorce ya,if you want to spend money on a van or ask them to have sex in avan.....  and maybe ready and able to kill you or drop dead while trying to have sex in a van......hahaha,,,good luck

have my  78 tradesman  custom since 92 and now have a 67 econoline-supervan  with bunk and wood ceiling rest carpet and curtins...dj

p.s. van was fun with x wife ,,not big hit with single gals now days????????????

nvrbdn

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on December 10, 2011, 09:32:48 AM
This is as restored as mine will probably get. Still a blast to drive.

well i absolutely love your van. that thing is very cool.i wouldnt be afraid to take that rolling museum to a van happening right now. (er not right now since they are done till spring.) they do a big event for "lets get snowed" and a big hall party for "groundhogs day" here in illinois.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

a few more
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House