News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Audio System

Started by freddyd02, February 24, 2011, 12:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyd02

I have a 69 charger im restoring and i want to upgrade the radio and speakers, any recommendations??  :cheers:

twodko

I'm in the same predicament with our 69. We have a plain jane AM radio in the car, part of me would like to send it to Turnswitch and have them convert it to a AM/FM stereo radio plus iPod jack. They want about $450 to do this and they offer modern speaker replacements for the stock dash speaker(s). These are pricey too but the OEM radio looks the same. Kinda cool but they don't add an amp to drive rear speakers. What are looking at?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

I had my AM done by Tayman Electric in FL. Very reasonably priced, radio sounds awesome.
Has LT & RT RCA inputs for an iPod/MP3, CD changer, etc. I put a dual-voice coil speaker in the dash from Custom Auto Sound, & a pair of 6x9's in the back. Sounds great in my '68.

Or, check out this if you want something more elaborate:

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

Bull, did Tayman add an amp when they upgraded your radio? Did they change the impedance so you could drive rear 6x9's?  :popcrn:

bill440rt

Quote from: twodko on February 25, 2011, 12:11:57 PM
Bull, did Tayman add an amp when they upgraded your radio? Did they change the impedance so you could drive rear 6x9's?  :popcrn:

Hi Tom,
There is no amp "added", but the radio comes back a true 180 watts (45w x 4 channels).

Read here:
http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

Installation instructions here:
http://www.garytayman.com/Instructions.html

It was super easy to install. It plugs directly into your dash harness as original. Hook up your speaker wires, & your done.
If you're looking to install subs & amps, I would suggest the SST hidden audio system.
:2thumbs:

BILL   :D
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

Hello Bill,
Thanks for the Tayman info. I contacted him yesterday and he made all the right sounds (no pun intended  :smilielol:). His conversions all drive 4 ohm speakers that he sells. Did you buy your own 6x9's or did you get yours from Tayman? Based on 45watts @ 4ohms for 4 channels, that's plenty enough for me, no outboard amps needed!. These days I don't crank Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly or Black Sabbath like I used to back in the day.  :icon_smile_big:

bill440rt

Glad to hear it!
Gary from Tayman was very helpful for me, too.

I had an old set of Jensen 6x9's in the back. I hardly played the original AM-8track radio that was in the car so the speakers saw very little use so they were still very good.
The dual-voice coil speaker up front is excellent. Although it's one speaker, it sounds much better overall vs two small 3" speakers in the same speaker location. It puts out a stereo signal, & combined with the larger cone you get better bass response.
:2thumbs: