News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning and Painting of plastic dash bezel?

Started by madmike, February 21, 2011, 08:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

For you do-it-yourselfers:  How did you clean and paint your plastic dash bezel, that goes on top of the gauge cluster?  This plastic piece looks like it was molded, then chrome plated, and then painted black, with appropriate detailing from the factory.

My plastic part looks like it's in good shape, no cracks or breaks, but most of the black paint has fallen off.  What remains can mostly be (soft) wire brushed off, but not all.  How do I remove the paint without damaging the plastic?  What are you guys using to repaint the plastic?  What color black, flat, satin or gloss?

I used to build models when I was a kid, so I think I can handle this...just need a little advice!

Thanks, Mike

oldcarnut

Somewhere in the painting section there were some threads on doing this.  Try a search for it as there were a few suggestions that worked for other members

Sixt8Chrgr

I recently touched mine up and used satin Krylon...matched fine.

Try wax and grease remover first to remove all the dirt etc. I would then try to paint over what was left. I bought chrome paint from auto zone recently for my door arm rest pieces and it looked ok...maybe try that then tape it off for the final coat of black.

tsmithae

I used Super Clean to remove the paint.  BUT, it will also remove the chrome... so, Beware!  As for the paint, I am updating my car and doing a nit of a resto-mod and went with a gloss and then a product called alclad to redo the chrome. I have pictures on one of my threads here if you're curious.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

oldcarnut

Saw a few more cleaning/painting ideas in this thread.  You'll just have to read through it as a few different people spoke of a few methods they used.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19711.0.html