News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?..

Started by Brock Samson, February 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok: cast your votes.

Live and Breath DOH!!!! YEE HAWW!!
Love the show that's why I'm here.
They're OK I guess, to each their own.
Like them somewhat but don't see the fuss.
Think the DOH is pretty dumb.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: WB General Lee on March 14, 2011, 06:46:31 PM
Forget the General Lees lets talk about this :2thumbs:

Imposible... I think I can't talk now... my tongue is in the middle
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 14, 2011, 11:58:03 PM

I know we are for the most part adults on this site, but try to keep it appropriate!  :o
I'm just giving ya crap!  ;)

WB General Lee

She is gorgeous and i love her innocent look. She was in one of those Dukes of Hazzard later specials.

Ghoste

April Scott.  A worthy girl to wear the role of Daisy if I must say so myself. :cheers:

WB General Lee

I am going to have to look her up. Is she single?

At least we're all agreeing on something finally :smilielol:

THE STIG

I fall into both of the most extreme categories. I think the show is incredibly goofy, however when I was between the ages of 2-4 I loved it. My parents used to tease me(and still do) because I would watch it so intently while sitting on my potty, but they never complained when I would sit down and shut up for an hour but one of my earliest memories is thinking that I only watched the show becouse I loved that car so much. As for someone making a GL clone out of thier 2nd Gen It's thier car, when somone complains because I put CD player of steering wheel from a 71 in my 70 I just say "don't do it to yours" and they say "I don't have one". But I've also heard horror stories from GL owners and even owners of orange 2nd gens in general who can't go to the hardware store of even take thier kids to get ice cream in thier  cars without morons climbing all over it and tring to get pictures with it and all that. 

Blakcharger440

For me it was the 68 Charger in Bullitt that made me like Chargers and also the DMCL Charger as well.

Kern Dog

I loved the show. Still do.
The 2005 movie was a departure though... I LOVED the stunts and action, but they changed the dynamics of the show too much. The TV show used Rosco and Boss Hogg as the Laurel and Hardy comic relief, and it worked. The movie switched to the Duke boys as the comics. I thought that Burt Reynolds was terrible as Boss. He was wooden and stiff....No acting range at all. Whatever acting skill and charisma he had seems to be gone.
Regarding the car..... I agree with a previous post: Having a classic Mopar attracts attention, but a General Lee car? It would be like running down a crowded sidewalk NAKED with your hair on fire! How could you avoid attention?  People are idiots. They WILL try to slide across your hood with rivets from their Levis carving into your paint... who knows what else.
I made a home movie in 1999 using a 73 Duster painted to look like the General Lee. It was a kick in the pants, but at that time I LIKED the attention.

Mike DC

The 2005 movie couldn't figure out whether it respected the source material or not.  They sorta tried to do both.  They respected it, but they also changed it more than any fully-reverent remake would have dared to do. 

I'm just glad they didn't try to tear it down. 

WB General Lee

Mopar Collectors Guide just came out and did a video on what is in your garage on me. All you do if you want to look at it is go on the Mopar Collectors Guide website, click on full episodes and click number 7. If you do make sure you catch the end it will surprise you.

Jake

WB General Lee

This is the best I can do. As soon as you type it in you go to page 7 and it will play.

WB General Lee

Thanks for the help. I need to figure out how to do that.

FastbackJon

I don't like either how the show took a car made as an upscale gentleman's car, and turned it into somewhat of a redneck icon.

Given that, the original shows were kind of cool, when it was actually filmed in Georgia on real streets, but after it moved to a hollywood backlot and dry dirt roads (which looks nothing like Georgia) the show just became hokey.

Don't even get me started on when they used plastic models of the general lee jumping trains and water towers, etc...
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on March 15, 2011, 12:48:34 AM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 14, 2011, 11:58:03 PM

I know we are for the most part adults on this site, but try to keep it appropriate!  :o
I'm just giving ya crap!  ;)

in the middle just right between my teeth LOL ( just in case )

so like this :drool5:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Cooter

Hmmmm, At 18 years old, All I could afford was a broken down 1967 Belvedere II, with a 318....How does an 18 Y/O afford a 440+6 Superbird in 1983?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

WB General Lee

Start working when you are 12 and save all your money that's how. I bought the car for $3400. By the way I am a much better driver now. I was only 17 years old. Wait until I buy my next winged car then I will really put on a show lol. Its coming soon.

Mike DC

QuoteI don't like either how the show took a car made as an upscale gentleman's car, and turned it into somewhat of a redneck icon.

I sympathize with other Charger owners for that one.  It's definitely true.  

However, it was sorta true for all the musclecars.  GTXs, Monte Carlos, Skylarks, Cougars, Torinos, GTOs . . . there were numerous "Gentleman's hot rod" cars from the muscle era that became redneck icons when they eventually became cheap throwaway used cars a decade later.  I'm sure it would have happened to the 2nd-gen Charger (albeit to a lesser extent) even without the GL.  

QuoteGiven that, the original shows were kind of cool, when it was actually filmed in Georgia on real streets, but after it moved to a hollywood backlot and dry dirt roads (which looks nothing like Georgia) the show just became hokey.

Don't even get me started on when they used plastic models of the general lee jumping trains and water towers, etc...

Once Vance & Coy showed up the show had jumped the shark for sure.  Bo & Luke eventually came back but it was too late.  The producers had slashed the budgets & childproofed the scripts too much to be very watchable by seasons #5-7.  

WB General Lee

I bought it in 1982 actually. Before that I owned a 1970 383 Road Runner factory 3spd car. I wish I still had that one! I bought the Superbird the day I graduated and did a burnout in the high school parking lot and then raced a Camaro a guy owned in my class and blew his door off.

jaak

Quote from: WB General Lee on March 20, 2011, 04:13:26 PM
Thanks for the help. I need to figure out how to do that.

No problem... I didn't realize that BOTH your GL's were movie cars, I just thought one of them was. I noticed in the episode you said the 'pre-cooter' car was already fixed up when you bought it. It would have been cool if they did the pre-cooter paint job, that way you would have one of both (the way they appeared in the movie), But its still awesome that you got two of them. Is there a thread on how you acquired them?

Jason

Kern Dog

Quote from: FastbackJon on March 20, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
I don't like either how the show took a car made as an upscale gentleman's car, and turned it into somewhat of a redneck icon.

Given that, the original shows were kind of cool, when it was actually filmed in Georgia on real streets, but after it moved to a hollywood backlot and dry dirt roads (which looks nothing like Georgia) the show just became hokey.

OH those CRAPPY model car stunts!
During the shows original run, I tuned out when Bo and Luke left. I never saw the Coy and Vance episodes until the show was rerun on TNN in the mid 90s. It was also then when I first saw those terrible plastic scale model stunts. What the hell was that? The books and magazines I've read about the show tell that there was no safety reasons for switching to fake stunts. FEW injuries were reported during the Dukes show. Knight Rider also resorted to using the plastic cars, as well as The Fall Guy. I have wondered if the company that produced the fake stunts convinced the TV production companies that the fake stunts were safer and cheaper.