News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?..

Started by Brock Samson, February 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok: cast your votes.

Live and Breath DOH!!!! YEE HAWW!!
Love the show that's why I'm here.
They're OK I guess, to each their own.
Like them somewhat but don't see the fuss.
Think the DOH is pretty dumb.

68coronetGLwannabe

Budweiser for me  :cheers:

Wine coolers for you Skip68? 
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

skip68

I will have diet pepsi please with a rum chaser. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Supercharged Riot

I dont really care.

I do think it is over used

But as long as a Charger is alive and driving, I'm happy enough to appreciate it.

As long as I dont see a charger trashed in a movie

Iceyone

I owned my first two Chargers (68 and 70) BEFORE the Dukes of Hazzard came on TV. I liked the show, espicially Daisy but NEVER had any desire to run out and paint a perfectly good 2nd generation Charger like the General Lee. Once upon a time, I lived near HLPAG and 75% of his cars were painted up like the General, thought it was kind of ridiculous, but evidently a lot of people like it. I do remember back when the Dukes of Hazzard was a new show, some kid riding in his dad's new Corvette was getting all excited when I pulled up to them in my Red and White 70 Charger SE, that was cool.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Hissing Cobra

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid and was about 11 years old when it began. I loved Chargers before that and I've loved Chargers since then. I love the General Lee's on the show but don't really get into them at the shows these days unless they are an actual car from the show. I cannot see the need for people to copy a car like that. Why not be original and create your own masterpiece? Choose a non-factory color that'll make it stick out but install a factory decal kit? I would hate the never ending questions that one would have to listen to on a daily basis.
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: I've been wondering if starting this was a bad idea after all the angry P.M.s I've gotten filling my mail box,.. sorry my mailbox seems to always be full,..   :shruggy: anyhow, Thanks for posting up, I'm drinking coffee...  :cheers:  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

I'll have a Dr. Pepper thank you. ;)
But on a side note; even though my Charger is restored to factory correct I don't mind seeing a GL now and then.
Back in 2008 in Kingman, Arizona at the Route 66 Fun Run Car Show, I saw a very nice GL on display. My elderly father was with me on the trip and he really got a kick out of seeing it, so did I. It may have belonged to someone on this board, if so, thanks for having it there. :2thumbs:

Back in the day I cringed every time I saw one of the GL's on TV being jumped because I knew what the results would be. But in all reality those totaled Chargers were a small price to pay for how many people were turned onto 2nd generation Chargers by the TV series.

And as far as mowers, snowmobiles, scooters, etc. painted up as General Lee's? They always make me smile and bring about a chuckle.
Too bad a few on the board take themselves so seriously.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Brass

The show was enjoyable as a kid but that wasn't what attracted me to Chargers.  For me, I like the General because it's a Charger - not vice versa.  Yet having affection for the General, I can understand why people convert them and even appreciate good examples.  I just wish, more often than not, that they wouldn't.  It's not hating - it's just my opinion.  

Quote from: Bob T on February 20, 2011, 01:10:06 PM
Heinekens are good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbxGgCY9PKw

WB General Lee

All I know is when I come home at night I open the garage and smile. I bought a second General Lee because if I sold the first one I may never get another. Now I don't want to sell either  :icon_smile_angry: I really want a wing car so I am really in a bind.

G-man

Very Nice Lee's!

Love how the paint pops out under the light on the right one... thats gorgeous. Now I know why I want my charger to go from QQ1 Blue to Orange.  :cheers:

WB General Lee

G-man. Believe it or not the car on the left pops more. Here is it after cleaning

jb666

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 20, 2011, 02:36:04 PM
  :scratchchin: I've been wondering if starting this was a bad idea after all the angry P.M.s I've gotten filling my mail box,.. sorry my mailbox seems to always be full,..   :shruggy: anyhow, Thanks for posting up, I'm drinking coffee...  :cheers:  :2thumbs:

So empty the damn thing already!  :flame:

PM could not be sent to 'Brock Samson' as their inbox is full!

Mikesmoparperformance

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

G-man

Brock Lee

greenpigs

I have a 69 Charger because of the show but never thought about making a tribute car. The 01 on the door never appealed to me even back then & unless you do it up proper why bother. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

DustinSimmonds

I'm not too partial to the General Lee. Seems a tad too overplayed to me. I myself do not own a 2nd gen so It would look just silly on my 3rd gen.  :popcrn:
However if I did own or when I own a 2nd gen I wouldn't make it a General Lee, Just not for me! Good show, good movie IMHO.

Charger´69

I like Dukes of Hazzard movies. And I understand General Lees if those are or had been original movie cars.  :2thumbs:

But making General Lee clone car, I don´t care. Just because I don´t think General Lee is better looking than original Charger. General Lee is IMO nice movie car, but that´s enough for me. In real life I´d rather see different Chargers than GL´s.
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

Richard Cranium

Would a person be considered a snob or a hater if said person were to bypass a General Lee car (even if it was the real McCooy) without giving it a glance in a row of Chargers at at a Mopar show?  :shruggy:
I am Dr. Remulac

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 21, 2011, 06:52:38 AM
Would a person be considered a snob or a hater if said person were to bypass a General Lee car (even if it was the real McCooy) without giving it a glance in a row of Chargers at at a Mopar show?  :shruggy:

Nope.

Its the ones that stop and just have to say something negative that I don't understand. If I see a car at a show I don't care for I just keep on moving.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Nacho-RT74

There is not an option to my vote, and I won't read all replies.

I simply like GLs due the car and the show, both reasons are valid to me. When I was a Kid I LOVED THE SHOW. Nowdays still love it, but with a diff point of view.

Would I build a GL clone ? DEFINITELLY YES!!!

Would I build a GL on an R/T ? Yes if is not a matching car, No if it has the matching engine. On a matching car will make it mostly sure as factory did, but if not, black on black top and tan interior ( then ghost stripe ), or Bronze, tan top and interior and delete stripe. If not tan top, maybe black and will match the stripe.

Would I build a GL on a diff Charger diff from a 69 ? NO, JUST WOULD MAKE IT ON A CORRECT 69, and would make it with correct saddle interior, never on a diff interior ( like many blacks I have seen ). BUT wouldn't paint everything on cluster including bezels and inserts like many I have seen, just the correct saddle factory look

Conclusion:
I would make it CORRECTLY, not necesarilly with a 440, but BB, and on a non real valuable car. Dunno if with roll bar or not since SURE I will daily drive it. Being a driver it includes, I can take passengers on bench COMFORTABLY. Maybe a "removable" roll bar just for shows ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

troutstreamnm

We've got a guy in our local Mopar Club with a beautiful GL, signed by the cast, first rate restoration and the whole bit.  It's an awesome 69 Charger (under the "01" paint and push bar).  I can tell you at car shows this GL gets way more attention from the general public then alot of original B and E body R/T cars  :shruggy:  It's funny to see families and kids go "ga-ga" over the GL and take pictures with the car and walk right by a 6-pack Cuda.  I guess that's what it's all about for the GL owner.  :shruggy:  Among car people it gets much less attention.    I personally don't care for GL at all, but it's an interesting phenomenon, the "01" thing drive me crazy... :Twocents:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

nvrbdn

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on February 21, 2011, 09:49:42 AM
Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 21, 2011, 06:52:38 AM

Nope.

Its the ones that stop and just have to say something negative that I don't understand. If I see a car at a show I don't care for I just keep on moving.

yep, i agree. i go to shows and see cars and think (why would someone put tons of money in that model?) but dont have to say anything just cuz i cant understand it. that owner picked that certain car for some reason and its not mine to judge what he should and shouldnt like. if we all liked the same thing it would be a boring car show.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

skip68

Troutstreamnm hit the nail on the head.   I think he sums it up.  I think a real charger lover will look at and like a quality restored charger over an average condition GL.  I do.   The general public will love the GL more and do the pictures.   Most GL's are not like Jeff's car.  They are nice drivers.  I can fully understand how Brock and you other guys would get sick of a GL.  Alot of you put more work and money in your cars and when a driver GL gets more attention at a show, it would upset me too to a point.   I know after my car is painted yellow I will get the same crap.  Guy... "you gonna make a GL ? ".   Me...  Nope !. It was a GL.    Guy....  "you should change it back" or "why did you do that?".    ???.   It will drive me nuts too. See guys, I understand you.    Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!