News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 oil prime help

Started by koshe, February 13, 2011, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koshe

I just rebuilt my 68 318. All new parts. I am priming the motor before the install and the top end (rockers/valves) are not getting any oil. The lifters and such are and a oil pressure guage reads 75 pounds. I am using a 1/2 drill to move the pump. after 1/2 hour still no luck. I am turning it clockwise. The motor and everything was all boiled out. I am 70s 360 heads on it that are all shaved and rebuilt.

I went so far as to remove the rocker assembly...still no oil coming through the head.

What am I doing wrong here??

71charger_fan

Rotate the crank with a breaker bar. It doesn't send oil to the valve train all the time. You have to align the oil holes in the camshaft with the passages to the head. Once you've pre-lubed one side, rotate the crank until the other side gets oil. I know there's a thread on this somewhere, but that's the short of it.

FLG

Quote from: 71charger_fan on February 14, 2011, 09:39:55 PM
Rotate the crank with a breaker bar. It doesn't send oil to the valve train all the time. You have to align the oil holes in the camshaft with the passages to the head. Once you've pre-lubed one side, rotate the crank until the other side gets oil. I know there's a thread on this somewhere, but that's the short of it.
:yesnod:

Cooter

Make DOUBLE sure you install the rocker shafts the correct way.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

koshe

71charger_fan

Drove me nuts the first time I put an engine together. Fortunately, Chrysler's service manuals have nice oil system diagrams.