News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Input needed on Asheville, NC., Greenville, SC., Athens, GA., Chattanooga, TN.

Started by TruckDriver, January 02, 2006, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I am thinking about moving south sooner then later as I am tired of winters here in Wisconsin and I want to change my life as there is nothing left to hold me here. I know we have members in those areas, but I can't remember who and where. So, can you guys please tell me what the job market is (perferably in trucking) what about the cost of renting a 2 bedroom apt. is, and what the overall area is like, people, crime, etc.. If any of you would be willing to send me some classified adds from those areas, I would greatly appreciate it too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

472 R/T SE

I can't remember DCG.  Didn't you have some boys?

Driving jobs always seemed easy to find.  Beneee's were the driving factor on who I worked for when I got off the road.  I drove an ugly truck but was in a strong union and made lot's more money than those guys with 2 exhaust stacks and lots of chrome.  I don't imagine the union's very strong in the South tho.  ???

I can handle the rain out here, it wouldn't be so beautiful without it.  BUT...I'm ready to move somewhere drier and warmer.

TruckDriver

Quote from: AllBlueRT on January 02, 2006, 05:15:35 PM
I can't remember DCG.   Didn't you have some boys?

Yes, but due to something out of my contol, (not bad, just to long to explain right now) I may have to send them to live with their mom :-\

What state you live in again?, I forgot.

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

472 R/T SE

I'm in Washington State, worked out of Portland, Oregon.  Many years ago I was with Roadrunner Trucking and they offered me a salesman job in the Portland office, I initally accepted.  I still think the all female office was just trying to get me in there alone with them. :icon_smile_tongue::smilielol:

skyhawk61

If you're looking for something in trucking, you might want to take a look at Hickory, NC,(Catawba county) which is about 70 miles east of Asheville.  Although the furniture and textile industries have been hit pretty hard here lately, there are plenty of trucking companies here hiring long distance and local drivers for decent salaries, at least for this area.  The equipment looks good, and I notice that our local community college has a thriving driver's school for prospective operators.  Hickory is on I-40, close to I-77 and the trucks are constantly on the move..loaded both ways.  Crime rate is low, the schools are good, and the cost of living is probably way below what you're used to.  Tax rate is very low, and housing is still affordable.
    Nothing wrong with Asheville, though I suspect its trucking market may be somewhat more limited by it's dependance upon tourism.  Let me know if I can help you further.

71charger_fan

Asheville is beautiful. I'd move there tomorrow if I had a job to go to. But, don't lose sight of it being up in the mountains. I imagine the winters are more mild than Wisconsin winters but it still snows there more than most northerners would assume it snows in NC.

twilt

Athens, GA is a college town not really a job Mecca. However, its proximity to ATL and its suburbs would most definitely put it within range of good emplyment. You wouldnt have any problem finding employment in the Atlanta market. Housing isn`t bad either. I live in the burbs. was renting a decent but small 3 br house on 1/2 acre for $800 per month, ended up buying it for less than 100k.  Being a car person, i wouldn`t suggest apartment living. In this area you could easily find a cozy small house or modular to rent (if you aren`t in a position to buy) for about the same you would pay for renting a apt.. Another plus is that i live here  ;D  and your search for 72 parts would be over  ;) I`d be willing to take you on some junkyarding adventures too!  :icon_smile:   If you are interested in
the ATL area, i`d be more than happy to send you some local newspapers that might help you research housing/employment.       

Orange_Crush

The cost of living in Asheville is fairly high right now.  I love Asheville, but keep in mind the winters get pretty cold.  There's also a lot of Floridiots who go up there during the summer and make it impossible to drive anywhere.  I like it because it has an awesome arts community, if that's what you're into.

If you're a trucker, I would recommend you look elsewhere though.  Driving on 26 or 40 out of Asheville in a car is scary enough 7-9% grades for miles at a time and they are windy and curvy...I wouldn't want to do it at the helm of an 80,000 pound rig.  Those escape ramps get used A LOT (I witnessed it once).

Milder weather and LOTS of trucking companies can be found around Charlotte.  Look in Charlotte's university area.  Lots of fairly inexpensive apartments.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Orange_Crush

Greenville is in a bit of a slump right now.  I'd probably stay away from there if you're a job seeker.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

TruckDriver

Thanks for the input guys! This is what I wanna hear. I'm not yet set on where I wanna live. This is why I want the input. I'm looking for something as far as trucking, in the construction field (i.e. dump truck). I got I got 16 years in asphalt and gravel work. 23 years total driving. As far as North Carolina, I just wanna see the mountains out my window if I move there. I just picked Asheville cause I knew where it was. O_C, I used to get to N.C. a lot when I drove over the road, so I know about the mountain roads. Skyhawk, Hickory wouldn't be bad either, but I also don't wanna live to close to the east coast just in case a hurricane would hit. I wanna live far enough inland so the winds would not be hurricane strength if one hits. I don't mind the rain. I know Tom's area in Georgia is one of those areas. I been there a few times too and like the area as well. Tom, if you don't mind, I'll drop you a PM as to getting some classifieds from you. Keep the input coming guys. :yesnod:
PETE

twilt

PM away. I`d be glad to help you out in any way i can.. I do have a bro-in law that works for a local construction company. they have enough work to keep him working  6 days a week-12 hours a day , year around.   

Lightning

any towns close to Mooresville that don't cost a ton of money just to live there?

(NASCAR Tech Inst. is in Mooresville and I'm hoping to move outta FL in the next couple years)
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Lightning 06 on January 03, 2006, 02:10:33 PM
any towns close to Mooresville that don't cost a ton of money just to live there?

(NASCAR Tech Inst. is in Mooresville and I'm hoping to move outta FL in the next couple years)

Charlotte, Davidson, Concord, Kannapolis, China Grove hell...Mooresville's cheap for that matter.

rare69

i live in washington  state on the Olympic peninsula and wouldn't trade it for any place on earth! i have seen allot of truck driving jobs in the paper lately and in the Seattle paper.lot's of mopar fans in washington also.

TruckDriver

Quote from: rare69 on January 03, 2006, 08:19:04 PM
i live in washington   state on the Olympic peninsula and wouldn't trade it for any place on earth! i have seen allot of truck driving jobs in the paper lately and in the Seattle paper.lot's of mopar fans in washington also.

Believe me, I thought about it. I'd love to live near the mountains. But I wanna stay in construction (asphalt or gravel) and I am not sure how they deal with all the weather :-\
PETE

WM23N1

You could always drive a concrete truck. I work for thomas concrete and we have lots of locations here in the south. The local papers are always full of truck driving jobs.Constuction in the northeast georgia area is really booming right now.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

TruckDriver

Quote from: WM23N1 on January 04, 2006, 09:01:12 PM
You could always drive a concrete truck. I work for thomas concrete and we have lots of locations here in the south. The local papers are always full of truck driving jobs.Constuction in the northeast georgia area is really booming right now.

I actually drove a concrete truck for about 6 months in the 90s. It was one of the front discharge ones and I hated it. But it did pay good. I'd consiter it again if I got a rear discharge mixer :yesnod: Do you live in GA too?
PETE

WM23N1

TruckDriver

Are you around Tom in Conyers too? I'm pretty sure thats about where I wanna move as I found out one of my neibours knows that area and said it's nice there. If I move, I would like to be near a few Mopar guys just so I have someone to ask questions while I learn the area.
PETE

WM23N1

Im about an hour or so from conyers.Im near gainesville.I would suggest the jefferson/winder/braselton areas. They are just now having big increases in growth and there is tons of opportunity in trucking around those areas.Plus yearone is in braselton. You could save on shipping like I do ;D

TruckDriver

PETE

doechsle

I live in the Stockbridge , Conyers area and there is construction and dump truck everywhere. I wished I had a CDL so I could drive a dumper, I think the automotive high perf. buisness is drying out.

Dodge-Charger

My Bro in law has his own truckin Co. and is looking for another driver. My father in law works for Averett ( spell check) so he can let me know if they are looking. You also have alot of Loggin Co. Heavy Equipment Co. and other Trucking Co. right here by the house. To give you an Idea of Location  15min Danville VA , 30min Durham NC , 30min Burlington NC, 45min RTP NC, 45min Greensboro NC, 1 hr Charlotte NC.  Plus its Country so loud cars and cold beer is a must.

Most truckers that run Local ONLY make around 10 - 14 an hr.  My Bro In Law runs coast to coast and Local. He has a truck that needs a driver but he wont just put anybody behind the wheel.   Rent ( if you rent ) is around 375 - 450 pending on where you live. If you live in RTP you can be looking at 1200 - 2500 a month.

TruckDriver

Looks like I'll have to take a cut in pay to move huh. :P  I make $15.00 an hour now + overtime, and the company I am currently working for is behind the average pay level. A lot of places around here are now paying the local drivers betwen  $16.00 to $18.00 a hour. But a lot of the road work and paving is seasonal because of the snow and cold.

Doechsle, go apply for a CDL, a class "B" CDL is straight truck with air brakes. If you can drive stick, you can drive a straight truck. And, I don't know about down there, but here, a lot of them are starting to now go to automatics.
PETE

yellowcuda

We live about 25 minutes from Athens.  I am also a licensed real estate agent.  I don't practice much (don't take listings) but I have access to send you listings for info and can help you purchase a house too if you want.  In Georgia the buyer doesn't pay the agent, the seller does :)  Let me know in a PM what price range you are looking for and what specifics, such as house or condo, 3 bedrooms or 4, big yard or no yard etc. and your e-mail and I can send you some listings if you want.  I think I did that for Steve when he was thinking of moving up from Florida.

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)