News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 build for 410 horses

Started by jmagga 73, February 06, 2011, 01:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Well said Troy,
far EASIER and cheaper to do 400hp with a 360  :2thumbs:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Troy

I learned everything I know from here. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68corazonetR/T

That was a great link.
I'm thinking about the valves in my 67 now.
I only used the highest octane I could find when I drove it, not sure if that helps slow the seats from being distroyed.
Damm the 360 I have is a 1970 so those heads will won't have the hardened seats.
Living with a conscience is like driving a car with the brakes on..... FLOOR-IT !!

jmagga 73

hey guys thanks for the help ive just come through with some more money and im still going with the 318 so far ive put in about 1500 and im at 300 hp with it rebuilt and already have new heads and a new carb and intake from my bro im gonna go put on a turbo if i can find one would anyone know where i could find one and if it can run with one. idk much about these older engines ive only worked on 2000 and up cars before this one

greenpigs

Thats a big step & much more involved than just tossing on a turbo. I would get the rest of the drivetrain up to snuff & save that money for bodywork.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

jmagga 73

in the rebuild i replaced the crank shaft with a forged one and im redoing the cam ive already had the body work finished besides paint and i can get that done for the cost of just the paint 600 maybe a little more according if i want any kind of special additives in the paint /metal flake oh and ive had the tranny alttle modified with newer gears plus a new rearend all i need is that extra push from the turbo if theres one that fits   

Transporter

I'm also sitting on a 318 with no upgrades, probably is doing around 200HP (its a bit rusty), I'm thinking on rebuilding it, maybe not aiming at 400HP but I would be happy to get it to 340 - 360 HP I hope I can get there with the same budget (1000-2000$). But fist im doing the paint/body work.
-My wife yes, my dog maybe, my Dodge... NEVER!

64dartgt

I like the Mopar Muscle article, but its dated (2004).  Since then they state that it is tough to find uncracked Magnum heads for such a project.  The other problem with trying to get 400hp out of a 318 without nitrous (from my research) is that you will have to run a lot of cam and in doing so you lose vacuum for important things like power brakes to stop your 4000lb car!

You have to consider what you want to do with the car.  If you just want to lay rubber at every stop light and have a 2 mile commute then a set of 4.10's and 300hp will likely do the trick.  But if you will routinely drive the car long distances you may want to trade some tire smoke for mpg.

axeman

Yes you will need a 318 of course. 302 casting heads. 273 cam . 4bbl intake. edelbrook dual plane spread bore . A Holley 4165
double pumper carb. And headers. Oh forgot flat top pistons. I spent $863 and the engine is 450hp . Don't change the intake valve to the larger 360 but . Do change the exhaust valve. By doing this you gain torque. All this can be bought used from junk yard or ebay.. but look closely at what you get. I personally like you pick your part places. You can pretty much get the parts you want with little cost.
Oh not to forget double roller cam crank and timing chain. I got mind from autozone for $35. Make sure the heads are ported and polished. Port matching is a good thing. This you can do yourself. Buy a set of old heads to practice on first. That way you don't screw up to heads you'll going to use. It'll take about 6 hours per head to port and polish. Take your time do it right and you won't have any trouble.  Inline fuel pressure regulator and gauge as well. engine has been dyno tested . 

Parts cost
$70 intake
$60 pistons
$400 headers and exhaust pipe
$299 for the 4165 double pumper carb
$34 for the 273 cam
Heads i already had and the gaskets about a
year before the build. Gaskests will cost about
$120 the dyno well i got a friend who build drag cars
He has the dyno and did the test.

Cooter

:2thumbs:
a 318 can be made to make 400 hp. All you need is money.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

64dartgt

jdscofield

I understand what you want to do and why.  Have the 318 bored out .30 over, install a cam around 240/480, a set of late model 360 J heads, Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane high rise intake, Holley 650, set of headers, flowmasters, and have some fun.  That 360 might have J heads.  This should keep you in your budget and you will notice a big difference.
MOPAR or no car