News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bracket racers, would you rather get the handicap or play catch up?

Started by Ghoste, January 31, 2011, 08:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

No particular reason for asking this except that it's winter and I'm bored and I keep thinking about cars and drag racing and warm weather.

I know the general opinion is that it's better to get the early start but I have met a few guys over the years who preferred to always be in the quicker car. 

Cooter

I'm a fan of going fishing...Reel 'em in like a big 'ol Catfish....oh and Ketchup's good on my hamburger's and Hot dog's too...Heads up baby...That's my favorite though...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

I've played the game both ways over the decades, and the biggest factor IMO either way, chased or chasing, is of course to be able to run your own Race "Consistently" without getting flustered by being "caught" to soon as you get to the end of the Track ?
or conversely,
getting rattled by a Guy leaving 2 seconds AHEAD of you ?

Either way, a bit of sandbagging for the unforeseens always seemed to help, was easier on parts, and overall more consistent ? Can be difficult to hide over the long term though ?

11.0 to 11.2 years were the magic for me(at 4800ft elevation),
I would foot launch at 2500rpm and shift it at 6K always(1&2), then lift at an even 6300rpm in High, and just run it out the traps static at that speed.
"Whatever" it wanted to run that Day doing the above from time trials was my dial in for that day.
Also, when Racing and REQUIRED
Lotsa time to look around, gauge how quick I was being reeled in by the faster cars, or, how fast I was doing the reeling on the slower cars,
with,
that "reserve" power & E.T. ready at the pedal(I could run 10.60's at wide open shifting at 6700rpm, but alas I did not have an SFI balancer and the Tech Guys watched closely for me going below 10.99 for the punt, so I didn't).
SHIAT ! It was a "Street Car" driven to the Track, dammed if I was gonna go buy a Balancer !

Anyways,
Re-Mash it, Fender Park and "Dump" at the traps, can work wonders when Req'd on slower Cars, you'd be surprised how many of them sandbag also ?
and,
Re-Mash it & Dump at the Traps on the Faster Cars when required, can be a contest of "best brakes" or WHO dumps first ? Seems lotsa sand baggers there too ?

Anyways, IMO
I'd rather be CHASED, in a top end of the Bracket(slower) Car, with a half second in the bag for the trap play when needed. I took home ALOT of Money that way although VERY unpopular ! Hey, it's Racing, lotsa "baggers" hang out at the top end of the Bracket ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Which is why the race ISN'T always won or lost at the finish line.

firefighter3931

I prefer heads up but don't consider myself a serious racer....more of a test & tune type  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 01, 2011, 03:40:22 PM
I prefer heads up but don't consider myself a serious racer

Any serious racer would prefer heads up, handicapping is an abomination.  :down:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BBKNARF

Back in 1986-88 I was involved in bracket racing  :2thumbs:, I think I prefer being chased less chance of red lighting.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Challenger340

Yeah, I think "Heads Up" is obviously the best way to Race also !
problem is,
how do you find enough cars out there, all closely enough matched running WIDE OPEN, to actually "Race" each other these days ?

I even tried running my junk in the 9.90 Index Super Gas "Heads Up" Class, a real anomally for a street driven to the Track, "Foot Launch"(No TranzBrake) Car !
Only to find,
That the Guys I was running WIDE OPEN and "Heads Up" against,
most of them,
Were easily capable of running in the 8's, but were using Computer Controlled Throttle Stops to control the acceleration and slow the Car down, and keep it up at 9.90. WAAAY more consistent than I could ever be ?

For those that don't know, a "Throttle Stop" is a device, that actually "Controls" the Gas pedal. All the Cars Driver does is MASH the Pedal, the COMPUTER Monitors the G Forces and "Adjusts" the throttle to keep the Car within the preset ET desired.
The Driver is just along for the Ride, because they also usually have a Computer controlled "Air Shifter" Solenoid that SHIFTS the Car for them also, at preset rpm's.

Abomination or NOT, the way I see it,  "Bracket Racing" is about the only way to evenly match Cars of different ET spectrums ?

Just isn't any other way, to attempt to EVENLY match a 10.5 Car against an 11.0 Car in a HEADS UP Race ?
If they both left together, at roughly 120 mph for 10.5/11.0 et's, thats roughly 5 CAR LENGTHS the slower guys gonna get CRUSHED by ?
Driver skill just ain't gonna make that up, unless the Faster Guy is a total  DIMBULB 90% of the time at the lights ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Cooter

Electronics is not racing IMO...bout the only thing electronic on my street car is the ignition...Same goes for Sandbagging, and "money" cars..

Two reasons people drag race IMO...For the glory and for the money..I just happen to give two rats asses bout the Money side..Once you introduce money into it, then you have cheating and sandbagging going on...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I've seen more than my fair share of cheating done just in the name of glory too.  (I'm sure you all have)

Cooter

Depends on your definition of cheating..I always try not to cheat myself, as when I race..... I race against my most fierce competitor...Myself.

69 OUR/TEA

Since I stopped bracket racing in 99,really enjoyed it and and missed doing it,so bought another car to get back into it.Nothing fancy or real fast,but runs a respectful 12.0@ 110.00 ish.Last spring is when I started taking it to the track,and after some test and tunes,some changes to the car,I pretty much got it dialed in,and got it very consistent.
I run it in the street classes so no slicks are allowed,I use the MT ET DOT streets.They work awesome IMO.
Basically those who have said run your own race is exactly right!!!My style is that I know the car real well,so sandbagging is not my thing.I can push the car close to my dails as the car runs dam near right on the number every time,no electronics,manually shifting ,etc.For some reason,even from the heat of summer to the crisp cool fall air,the car runs pretty much the same times,so with that it has been an easy car to race with,NTM,reliable.You can drive it down the highway,park in bumper to bumper traffic not overheating,etc.
On one particular track rental day,the guy putting it on came down from the tower to get people into a gamblers race,and came up to me and  suggested to get in(only $10.00),as he has watched me all day and in twelve runs I made the car did not leave the window of 12.03-12.08,and said I was the only one doing runs that close that day.
Long story short,after six rounds of eliminations,I made it to the final round but was beat on the tree from the other guy.I was the faster car,reeled him in,caught him right at the line,so close that we had to get our slips to see who won.The other guy even said in his car he was pissed as he thought I won as I flew around him so quick.Still walked away with $65.00 for runner up,paid for my day!!!
If I had the choice,even thought you should be worrying about yourself,keeping calm,etc,I like being the faster car because you get to see if the other guy red lights,and if so,you don't have to try and push the tree so hard,and back yourself off just that little bit.
NTM,I have also lost from redlighting when trying to push the tree to hard when you did'nt have to,meaning you get your slip and see the other guy was terrible,and you yourself could have been alittle later and still won.
One thing that was hard for me was the last time I avidly was going to the track,they were still reg bulbs,now they are LED's,and had to adjust to them as I was leaving to early by going at the certain time as I used to.Also,when it gets to dusk,or dark out,you find yourself seeing the lights alittle fatser than in the day,resulting in a few red lights!LOL.
Bottom line,bracket racing is my fav as there are alot of driver factors coming in,not just being that your car is faster.Very fun dialing your car in,trying to cut a good light,moving up in the rounds,etc.Plus,let that guy your racing do some sandbagging,I enjoy  seeing them break out against me!!!

Hissing Cobra

For me, it really doesn't matter as I always focus on what I have to do to win. This means doing a good burnout, cutting a good light, and shifting at the right rpms. I try to do the same exact things on every single run as it helps with consistency. I do not have electronics in my car except for the MSD ignition so I have to be on my game during every single race. If I'm behind, I'm on the throttle all the way to the end and if I'm in front, I'll be tapping my brakes so I don't breakout. I only go to the track twice per year because it's a 2.5 hour ride for me to get there but I get better each and every time. On my last visit I made it into the final 4 of a 64 car field and picked up a check for $49.00. It's always good when nothing breaks but even better when nothing breaks and you win money!
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

HPP

I've done both the chasing and been chased, and it seems I've always gone further into the rounds when I was the slow car. Then again, I've never been real good at running my own race. I also noticed my street cars seemed to be much easier to keep consistent than the dedicated drag car I had. Sure the drag car would e.t. and m.p.h. better, but it also was less predicatable and would change more with ambient conditions.

Ghoste

Interesting split of opinions.  Myself I always preferred to be in the quicker car and I figured I was in the minority on it so it has been interesting to learn that I'm not at all.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 03, 2011, 12:15:36 PM
I even tried running my junk in the 9.90 Index Super Gas "Heads Up" Class, a real anomally for a street driven to the Track, "Foot Launch"(No TranzBrake) Car !
Only to find,
That the Guys I was running WIDE OPEN and "Heads Up" against,
most of them,
Were easily capable of running in the 8's, but were using Computer Controlled Throttle Stops to control the acceleration and slow the Car down, and keep it up at 9.90. WAAAY more consistent than I could ever be ?

So you're saying you can't build a consistent 9.90 car that isn't throttle-stopped? I see running on an index as the best alternative to handicapping.

QuoteAbomination or NOT, the way I see it,  "Bracket Racing" is about the only way to evenly match Cars of different ET spectrums ?

Handicapping is merely PC on a race track, a way to satisfy all the whiners.

QuoteJust isn't any other way, to attempt to EVENLY match a 10.5 Car against an 11.0 Car in a HEADS UP Race ?
If they both left together, at roughly 120 mph for 10.5/11.0 et's, thats roughly 5 CAR LENGTHS the slower guys gonna get CRUSHED by ?
Driver skill just ain't gonna make that up, unless the Faster Guy is a total  DIMBULB 90% of the time at the lights ?

As hard as it is to believe that's actually the way it was done before handicap timers. That's the way I raced for many years and had a lot more fun than after handicapping. Brackets were developed to equalize the chances of those who couldn't build a competitive class car. Again, PC.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Scaregrabber

You can get antsy waiting for your light when you leave second. However It's a lot easier to judge how fast you are catching the slower guy than it is to watch the mirror and figure out if the other guy is going to pass you. Plus I like having the faster car anyway, it's the Mopar way.

Sheldon

morepower

I think being chases has its advantages especially if your car run spot on every run. But being the chaser gives a lil more wiggle room to play with your time to where you know you can catch up and pass etc...
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

69 OUR/TEA

Thats a good point,I have found myself numerous times catching the other guy easy,and having to let up or tap the brakes.
Happens so instantaniously,but when you launch and feel like you went red,and out of the corner of your eye you see you did'nt,you know right then you're in for a good run.Great feeling!!!!!
Where I go,sometimes you wait for hours before your next run,and when it changes from daylight to dusk/dark,sometimes bites me as I "see" the light juuuuuust that much faster,and go red,that is a shitty feeling when you lauch and see that big red light on your side.Just for kicks I still run it out,go by them,just to make them cringe alittle,till they get their time slip and realize what just happened.You'd be suprised that some don't know about the win light down on the jersey barrier per winning side.

kamkuda

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 01, 2011, 03:40:22 PM
I prefer heads up but don't consider myself a serious racer....more of a test & tune type  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

I'll race ya,  well  next year LOL :cheers: :cheers:

Blown68Coronet

I'll run the winner Rob  :D

I prefer heads up but for bracket i like chasing down the other lane.

aifilaw

I'm going to skip the long and sordid tale of my years in bracket racing, and hit a highlight. There was a white station wagon that ran a 16 second quarter, he had a stock engine, a trans-brake, and was just as good at reaction times as anyone else. light would go green, he would hit the transbrake and off he went, nailed his time within a couple hundredths no matter what. He won I'd say 7 out of every 10 days he'd show up. That was the end for me.

If I had the money, I would build a dragstrip, set two dyno's side-by-side and two scales. Hire myself 6 fast techs, 2 to setup the cars, two to handle the computers, and two to run the scales and make sure no sandbagging was being done on the dyno. Racers after getting a weight and a HP would get thrown into 6 or 7 classes:
A = > 0.3
B = 0.25-0.3
C = 0.20-0.25
and so on, ie: 400 RWHP and 3400 lbs = 400 / 3400 = 0.117 gets into the 0.10-0.15 class.

Idea being, pure weight divided by horsepower, tree hits at the same time, first across the finish line wins. Easier said than done obviously, but that's my idea of racing and making it as fair as possible while making it as fun as possible.
Nowadays I go to the dragstrip rarely, I much more enjoy autocross and road racing than straight-line.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

RECHRGD

Quote from: aifilaw on April 25, 2011, 09:15:10 PM
I'm going to skip the long and sordid tale of my years in bracket racing, and hit a highlight. There was a white station wagon that ran a 16 second quarter, he had a stock engine, a trans-brake, and was just as good at reaction times as anyone else. light would go green, he would hit the transbrake and off he went, nailed his time within a couple hundredths no matter what. He won I'd say 7 out of every 10 days he'd show up. That was the end for me.

If I had the money, I would build a dragstrip, set two dyno's side-by-side and two scales. Hire myself 6 fast techs, 2 to setup the cars, two to handle the computers, and two to run the scales and make sure no sandbagging was being done on the dyno. Racers after getting a weight and a HP would get thrown into 6 or 7 classes:
A = > 0.3
B = 0.25-0.3
C = 0.20-0.25
and so on, ie: 400 RWHP and 3400 lbs = 400 / 3400 = 0.117 gets into the 0.10-0.15 class.

Idea being, pure weight divided by horsepower, tree hits at the same time, first across the finish line wins. Easier said than done obviously, but that's my idea of racing and making it as fair as possible while making it as fun as possible.
Nowadays I go to the dragstrip rarely, I much more enjoy autocross and road racing than straight-line.

Not a bad idea.  I go back to the heads up racing days and had good fun back then.  I never got into the bracket scene.  What's the fun of building a quick car only to be beat by a slow car that has no traction or related issues to deal with?
13.53 @ 105.32