News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Distributor/Oil pump drive bushing help

Started by NMike, January 25, 2011, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMike

my old bushing stuck to the oil pump drive, spinning in the block. new pump drive and i installed a new bushing.

the new bushing is very tight on the drive. i got another one from the dealer, same. the manual lists a special tool to install and ream the bushing. they don't have one, and i'm not going to spend $150 on a tool i'll never use again.

any ideas, i'd like to open up the one i've already pressed into the block, and not have to get it out.

elacruze

You need a pilot reamer. Here's some on ebay, $75 Or best offer-you might get them for $50 or so. I have an ancient set I bought to do the kingpins on my pickup-who knew they'd be handy for this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADJUSTABLE-REAMER-GUIDES-PILOT-6-PCS-SET-3-8-15-32-/270648303629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f03e5600d#ht_623wt_1024

You're probably in a hurry, but if you aren't you can just cruise ebay every day, the right one will come along sooner or later. If you're in an area that has a lot of farm auctions, I've seen plenty of them around there too.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

matrout76

John_Kunkel

The bushings shouldn't be reamed, they should be installed with the proper tool that burnishes the ID while expanding the bushing for a tight fit in the block.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NMike

and thats the $150 tool i don't want to purchase..........

FLG

Got a engine builder local that can do it for you? Or leave him a deposit and lend you the tool?

gtx6970

my  :Twocents:

unless done right you take the chance of having the exact same thing you already have. a bushing spinning in the block

http://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1041