News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are projects more fun to you or are restored cars?

Started by paironines, January 23, 2011, 02:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paironines

I've finished my 69 R/T a couple years ago and it came out nice. I've driven it around some with a "now what ho-hum" attitude but I really still get a kick out of my 68 beater base model charger. It's the kind of car you can jump in and drive to Illinois or Ohio and not worry about rain or hail or rocks. Maybe I just need an attitude adjustment? Ha. Anyone else really enjoy the beaters?

moparsons

You can give me the 69 if you want...   :icon_smile_big:
   nah seriously I have a Dart that's the same way....fun to drive, no worries.
Just be thankful that you not only have TWO chargers, but you can drive either of them. I'm sure we all wish we had your dilemma.  :cheers:

paironines

Oh I know,  crying about nothing! I just thought I'd make myself use the finished one more.

terrible one

Well sadly I don't have a fully restored example to compare it to but I will say that my beater Charger, now that it's on the road, is a blast in it's current form! It's kind of a phony though since all mechanical and electrical has been restored or replaced, but I haven't touched the body except to grind a few pounds of bondo off and spray paint it all one color. It's great not having to worry about the paint, etc. when parking, tearing it up on dirt and gravel roads, and most of all, when WORKING on it! After working on and around nicely and freshly painted cars it's such a relief to not have to worry about leaning over the fender of my car, etc. :2thumbs:

paironines

Your red charger is about in the same shape as mine except mines green. I guess I just remember seeing them driving around as beaters. Don't get me wrong, nothing like a fresh Charger.

twodko

Now that our car is done I've had those same fleeting thoughts! What do I do now? Restoring our cars, cosmetic or rotisserie, is an in-depth undertaking. Its kinda anti-climatic when its finished. The hundreds of details, parts everywhere, to-do lists and then the finished product in our minds eye is a reality. Poof, its done.
I worried about the same things listed by terrible one and still do but our 69 is a driver. My beater is a pickup but I'd rather drive that 440!  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BigBlockSam

:yesnod:  i dig the building part. finding all the rite parts and trying to get the best deals . plus you don't have to worry about scratching the paint
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ChgrSteve67

I'm glad I'm done with mine for the most part. I still have some engine compartment touch ups to do.

I enjoy driving mine and going to car shows.

I'm really excited about driving to MI this year for the CEMA car show in June and taking Route 66 on the trip home.
Will be around a 6,000 Mile trip in the Charger.

I would love to do Carslile or the Hot Hod Power Tour some day.
Or even Moparfest in Canada.

-Steve

Cooter

You guys must be gettin' the "Stuck inside, cold as hell, snow on the ground, BS Blues" or something....I can't drive all mine, and NONE of 'em are "Finished"...All you need to do is drive the thing to a car show during the summer and all is right with the world again...

I prefer building my own junk, then DRIVING my own junk...While beaters are nice, that thought ever so slightly begins to creep up in your mind about that "beater" nd before you know it, that "beater" has a better paint job than your restored one does...It's all relative...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

drifter69

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

694spdRT

I did the show car thing with the '69 restoration. Now I want to build driver cars that I can have fun with like back in the old days.

When I get the winter blues I just whip cookies in the driveway while I am plowing snow with my '93 Dodge pickup....good fun.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlockSam

QuoteI did the show car thing with the '69 restoration. Now I want to build driver cars that I can have fun with like back in the old days.

:yesnod:  i did the car scene too . i had a room full of trophies .done that .got tired of cleaning them. to much work   none of my cars are beaters . there #1 drivers . mechanically there top notch machines and there good looking cars too . they just don't have to be perfect . just fun
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

694spdRT

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 24, 2011, 05:22:18 PM
QuoteI did the show car thing with the '69 restoration. Now I want to build driver cars that I can have fun with like back in the old days.

:yesnod:  i did the car scene too . i had a room full of trophies .done that .got tired of cleaning them. to much work   none of my cars are beaters . there #1 drivers . mechanically there top notch machines and there good looking cars too . they just don't have to be perfect . just fun

Yeah, I just may throw a set of old school Cragars on the '69 this year and drive it too. No sense in saving it for shows I never attend. Putting a couple hundred miles on it every once in a while instead of leaving it in the shed will be nice for a change.

I might go to a couple shows a year as a spectator and hit the swap meets.  I just don't have the time to sit around on every nice weekend when there are multiple cars I should be workiing on.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

chargermike

i loved building my charger. but i love having it done. me and my mopar friends are allways driving them to shows or just a cruise threw the mountains. there show cars that never see trailers.  sure over 6 years there are a couple of rock chips in the paint. but can repaint when needed. nothing better than a bunch of mopars rolling together threw the rocky mountains. i find reasons to drive my car. when spring gets here it will fire up and i will drive it all summer. but i like my beater cars also. i mean beater trucks. there great to work out of or go 4 wheeling with. but none of them is as fun as the charger to drive. the looks that little kids and old people give you is awsome. all the old stories people tell you about what your car reminds them of. thats the cool thing you get when there done. but my wife liked it better when i was just building it. i was home and not out hotrodding.