News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Street Legal TV’s 2011 Project ’69 Dodge Charger R/T "Killer Kong"

Started by Rustymuscle, January 21, 2011, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Rustymuscle on January 21, 2011, 07:35:53 PM
Right now, its sitting on an old pair of Hoosier 30x9's. They're tight but they fit amazingly well. We're keeping the finer details of the powertrain under wraps until the article comes out in a couple months.

Awesome thanks for the info. I think its great that you are building a Hemi for the car...just dont hang twin turbos on it or anything really exotic then yall will really catch some flak!

I also like how you are not misrepresenting the car as something it aint like a real Hemi car or something.

ccr-host

Quote from: Rustymuscle on January 23, 2011, 12:05:09 AM
Actually Daveco, if you're talking about me and Street Legal TV, we're a 100% free online magazine. But half of our business is video coverage, interviews, and production (hence the "TV" part).

And I promise CCR Host, we're not going to screw this thing up. No 9-inch Fords or TH400 trannys.

I'm sure most of the sponsors who kicked in on our build would be happy to give you some support. Legendary Interiors, AMD, Keisler, Ted Stephen's, etc... They're all great companies to deal with and have top quality products. Currie does offer a Dana 60, so you don't have to worry about the Ford 9 inch thing. Be sure to contact Bill Reilly for an Alter-K-tion set up too. His rack front end and rear link stuff is amazing. You'll think you're driving a slot car.

Good luck! Have a blast with it! Let me know if you need any help with sponsors or products. I'll even take it down the strip when its done, if you like! :yesnod:

firefighter3931

I'm liking this project !  :icon_smile_big:

I run 295/65/15 Drag radials on mine and they just fit.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rustymuscle

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 24, 2011, 11:05:07 PM...just don't hang twin turbos on it or anything really exotic then y'all will really catch some flak!

No sir, the only dual induction we're using is a pair of Holleys! And although that new Gen III all-aluminum 426 HEMI is sexy, this is a '69 Charger. Only a Gen II will do.

Quote from: ccr-host on January 25, 2011, 12:30:34 PMCurrie does offer a Dana 60...

Actually, CCR-Host, that's our first technical article, which will be out in a couple of weeks! We pulled a junkyard Dana out of a *gasp* Ford F-250 and Currie had everything we needed to switch it over for a B-Body! We're spinning some serious gear, so this Charger is gonna leap out of the hole like a scalded dog.

Quote from: ccr-host on January 25, 2011, 12:30:34 PMBe sure to contact Bill Reilly for an Alter-K-tion set up too. His rack front end and rear link stuff is amazing.

We thought about the Alter-K-tion K-member, but it didn't fit out "pinching our pennies to save up for a HEMI theme." Plus, Dick and Mike Landy didn't have it, so we figured we didn't need it either. Rather, we cut, notched and boxed our K-member like the good ol' Super Stockers did.

I truly appreciate the offer for sponsor help, and I might even take you up on it in the future. And please email me if you'd like Street Legal TV to cover the progress of your new project car! I gushed over the last one at the SEMA booth (and even published a picture of it HERE!), so I'm looking forward to the next one.

-Kevin

1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

Rustymuscle

I was thinking, since CCR-Host let the cat out of the bag a little, I figured I'd drop a sneak peek at the Dana 60 rear project that we're doing.

This housing was yanked out of a '89 F-350 Ford. While we joked about 4.88's on a spool for the street, we're thinking 4.56's spinning a Detroit Locker.

What do you think?
1970 Dodge Super Bee

firefighter3931

The Ford Truck housing is bullet proof ! I have one in mine and it's a heavy SOB  :icon_smile_big:

The axle tubes are thick so you'll have to turn them down at the U-bolts.  :yesnod:

We installed a Locker last winter and so far i like it....a bit noisy going around corners but nothing too bad, you just notice it.

As for the 4.56 gearing that sort of depends on the engine combination. If the motor is being built with a high rpm powerband then those gears are fine. Stock stroke Hemi's like to rev. If you're doing a stroker build then you won't need as much gear. Ideally you want to gear it for 200rpm above peak hp going through the traps.  :Twocents:

If you plan to drive on the freeway those deep gears can be annoying....

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rustymuscle

It's been over a month and I've made some pretty good progress on a couple fronts. First, the Dana 60 is buttoned up and installed in the Charger. People - particularly around the office - have been giving me grief for going with 11-inch drums. When I try to explain the positives of drums - and that they're 1/2 if not 2/3rds the price of discs - their eyes just glaze over. Cest la vie.

Next, the 727 is nearly finished and is next to get in. Finally, I'm piecing together a super-duper budget 440 just to get the Charger plumbed up and running right. That should be coming down the pike soon enough. The Dana 60 article should be published on SLTV within a week or two. The Torqueflite will be a few weeks after that. Here's some snap shots soon to be published.

Thanks for the input, fellas!
-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rustymuscle

Here's another quickie update:

Had the seats recovered and working on restoring the seat tracks. It's raining outside, so the paint is obviously taking its sweet time to dry.

The seat covers have been in boxes since 2004, so the wrinkles are taking a while to relax. Just gotta leave 'em out in the sun a little longer.

I'll have the update up on SLTV later in the month.

-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BOSSHEMI

cool project, so what the plan with the engine. Using parts that were offered back then only?

I restored my 66 Hemi car back to a something like your doing.

just your avg "car guy"

Rustymuscle

Right now, I'm sort of at an impasse. Basically, we're still working with Mopar and some other suppliers for everything to build a stout 540-plus-cubic-inch elephant. So, until all that sales/marketing crap can get handled, I'm throwing together a insanely budget 440 for another article that will simply put the Charger on the road.

A couple years ago, I fished a high nickle-cast 440 out of a motorhome. I've got a good forged steel crank and plan on a 450-horse junkyard motor article. It'll be pretty funny, as the Torqueflite and Dana are set up for a 650-700 horse motor and I'll be plumbing up the Charger with a mild street motor.

She'll leave out of the hole like a scalded dog, but fall flat on its face soon after.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

yeahitsgotahemi!

Looks awesome! I love the no nonsense street brawler look.

Will you be going into any greater depth with the Dana 60 article? I'm at the point where I have to purchase a Dana 60 myself, and I'm wondering what the grand total cost for all the work was and what exactly you did yourself/had someone else do. Did you buy new axle ends and align/weld them up yourself? Did you also set up the locker and gears yourself?

I've been looking at buying a complete rearend from moser or strange, and the price is in the +3500 range complete with all the bells and whistles I want, but I would reconsider if the savings are significant and the work is reasonable. Any issues with the Dana 60 build?

Thanks again for the feature article!

M.S.

"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

tpetty

Looks great so far.  Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Rustymuscle

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on March 22, 2011, 08:12:52 PMWill you be going into any greater depth with the Dana 60 article?

First, sorry for taking so long to respond. Man, I gotta get the RSS feed...

Yes, the Dana 60 is done and in the car, all for about half the cost of the average aftermarket Dana (I say "average," because there's NO way I could ever pay $3,500 for a rear). Now, there's some bits and pieces like a pair of Cal-Trac bars that I haven't nabbed up yet, but the complete housing is ready to roll (I had to nurse three quarts of gear oil in through the stupidest little funnel while not spilling it down my arms.)

-Kevin
1970 Dodge Super Bee

Rustymuscle

OK, well for those playing along, HERE is the full-length tech article on our 800-1,000HP Dana 60 Build!

I went with a set of Motive Gear 4.56's (notably less "noisy") and a Detroit Locker over the 4.88's and spool I originally thought I'd run. I've driven a spool on the street (with 4.10s) and thought I'd shrug off the bad street manners in exchange for the constant hook up, plus I don't mind the car being a little obnoxious. It makes it fun.

Scoring the original '89 Ford truck housing for $50 was the biggest score. It's got the thicker axle tubes too, so I know she'll hold up to anything I can throw at it.
1970 Dodge Super Bee