News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Street Legal TV’s 2011 Project ’69 Dodge Charger R/T "Killer Kong"

Started by Rustymuscle, January 21, 2011, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustymuscle

Kicking Off 2011, Street Legal TV's Project Car Will Be a 1969 Dodge Charger HEMI R/T (Non-Original). Read The Article HERE!

With all of the high-octane, supercharged, turbocharged, nitrous-fogged, multi-port fuel injected, and methanol-fed project vehicles here at powerTV, there is little to appeal to the bare bones, keep-it-simple-stupid bad ass muscle car enthusiasts. No line-locks, trans brakes, or electronic rev limiters. Just a heavy breathin' carburetor or two topping a big cube plant with a lumpy solid mechanical-lifter cam, a hard-snapping automatic, and backed with a stout no-nonsense low-gear rear.

With not enough oomph to make it an R/T and not enough doodads to qualify as an "SE" (Special Edition), this T7 Tuscan Bronze '69 Charger was as middle-of-the-road as they got. Damaged in a front-end collision with a motorcycle in the late 1980′s, the car needed plenty of work. The grille plastic was past salvaging, the fenders and hood had been replaced, and to our best assessment, there wasn't a square foot of straight sheetmetal on the car.

This Charger will answer whether a '69 HEMI Charger running on pump gas 91-octane can be driven in Southern California traffic – or back-and-forth to Vegas – all with a full interior and make regular 10-second passes while driving back-and-forth from the track.

Light 'em up,
Kevin
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blakcharger440

What is the size of the rear wheel and tire on that 69 Charger?
It would be great to know what the specs of the HEMI are as well.

Looking good!

Rustymuscle

Right now, its sitting on an old pair of Hoosier 30x9's. They're tight but they fit amazingly well. We're keeping the finer details of the powertrain under wraps until the article comes out in a couple months.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

daveco

R/Tree

Cooter

Not hard to hit all those goals when you have a sponsor...try doing that on a budget of around $15K in the whole damn thing...That paint and body job alone would gobble up half that....They mention all those "Record breaking" things these cars did back in the day, over 40 years ago..Well, most of those cars were raced by Dick Landy, Sox And Martin, Herb McCandless, etc. ALL of which were FACTORY BACKED racing teams...(Read Sponsor)..

Nice to see a Mopar in the Chevy and Ford dominated scene, but It's almost a moot point when you consider the $$$ it's gonna take to do what they claim was done so "easily" Back in the day...."Old School" has a bunch of different meanings evidently...To me it means just that..Cars being built in the back yard, with not so badass engines, running not so badass timeslips, making not so badass HP anf Torque...This will be a $50K car when done IMO...I pop an engine, I'm DONE for about 2 years until the funds are there again... These guys popped engines left and right, all they had to do was go into the trailer and get another Hemi....

It better be able to be "Driven in city traffic" and such for that kinda money...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rustymuscle

We've be providing a complete fiscal breakdown of the build. No, it won't be a $15K car as few complete Dodge Chargers are. But we have pinched our pennies where it counts. We did most all of the metal work ourselves, all the disassembly and reassembly, and while it might look good in pictures, our paint job was a cheap-o $3,800 job (there are plenty of chips and flaws).

Of course, the big ticket item is the engine. Building a HEMI, even out of old retired race parts scoured off of eBay and Racing Junk still can add up to an expensive motor. I think the problem is that people compare the cost of restoring and/or rebuilding a Mopar to that of a Chevrolet. Don't. By their sheer numbers and aftermarket backing, the cost is nearly half that of a Dodge.

1970 Dodge Super Bee

Cooter

$3800.00 = El-cheapo?? Just what I'm referring to...IMO, "El-cheapo" paint jobs cost around $1000.00, and that's for the cost of paint in "kit" form, BC/CC....

Hemi= Have Excessive Monetary Income...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rustymuscle

Everybody's price range is different, Cooter. Plus, there wasn't a single square foot of straight sheet metal on this car. $3,800 is pretty cheap when you start asking around. But yes, had we done ALL of the body work ourselves and painted the car in our side yard with some plastic sheeting hanging off the roof of our house, then yeah, it could've been cheaper.

And I'm not saying HEMIs are ever cheap. I'm saying we saved our money in other places to afford to spend the money on a HEMI, because that's the engine we knew we wanted. Could we have built a 451cui RB Wedge for nothing? Yeah, and it would've made plenty of power. It's all subjective.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

ccr-host

A 1969 Hemi Charger? Wow! What a great idea for a TV show!!  :smilielol:

SPEED's new series Car Warrior's is also doing one this year! This is starting to become a trend. :horse:

Good luck! It's a great car to build.

G-man

It looks good and nice choice for motor.  :cheers:

I wish I could find a paint job for 3800. Down here to sand-blast the car and paint it inside and out mirror finished is a $20,000 job. 

Brass

Quote from: ccr-host on January 22, 2011, 03:45:31 PM
SPEED's new series Car Warrior's is also doing one this year! This is starting to become a trend. :horse:

Funny, Dan.  Yet there can't be enough Charger love IMO.  (The coverage is still nowhere close to what has been happening with the Bowtie, Mustang, cookie-cutter crowds for decades.)  Chargers are still the menacing dark-horse with fine lines and unadulterated force.  Though it would be nice if someone did a 68 with a wedge for variety sake.  ;D

daveco

R/Tree

Rustymuscle

Actually Daveco, if you're talking about me and Street Legal TV, we're a 100% free online magazine. But half of our business is video coverage, interviews, and production (hence the "TV" part).

And I promise CCR Host, we're not going to screw this thing up. No 9-inch Fords or TH400 trannys.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

daveco

...and along with cable will be a decent internet connection... :2thumbs:
R/Tree

R2

Kevin,

QuoteT7 Tuscan Bronze

Is that the color of the car now ? Do you recall what brand paint used ?

Is there a stripe on the back ? (black?)

Looks great in the pictures,,,,,

Looking for some paint ideas for mine,,,,,your car looks sharp,,,,

Doug

Rustymuscle

R2, yes T7 is the original factory color code and we really wanted it to keep that 1960's look. Believe it or not, it's just regular ol' PPG paint. After the paint and body work, we did install a black R/T tail stripe as we are making this into an R/T clone.

Your triple black '69 looks great (especially the Drag Stars). Why change it?
1970 Dodge Super Bee

greenpigs

I like it.

Plus got side tracked by the Tony Defeo blog.

Still why not run a stroker wedge? While those are not cheap to build either it would lower costs. You answered this allready but keeping the budget as low as possible & still meeting your goals is important also. Even if it only shaves 5K off the budget that's BIG money to me. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are but going with a wedge is more real world.

Not trying to start something just my  :Twocents:

And just so you don't get confused I think this is better than the Hot Rod version with the Stumble Bee. :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

Cause then it wouldn't grab the attention of EVERYBODY (This includes the "Ignorant" of cars and the chevy and Ford croud alike)...EVERYBODY knows a HEMI grabs the attention and that's what sells "TV"....

There's a reason you guys went with the HEMI and We all know it..We would just like to see an actual "Real world" build as you described, like they did it back in the day..It doesn't have to make rediculous Power.. But then again, I guess painting cars at home, for $1000.00 wouldn't grab the attention on TV that a $4000.oo Paint job would..just like a 750 HP Wedge isn't gonna grab the attention when fans look at it and ask "That thing gotta HEMI?"....A Big $$ build is Expected to perform the way you guys say it should..Hell, if it didn't, you better like Ketchup and Mustard on those words...

R2

QuoteR2, yes T7 is the original factory color code and we really wanted it to keep that 1960's look. Believe it or not, it's just regular ol' PPG paint. After the paint and body work, we did install a black R/T tail stripe as we are making this into an R/T clone.

Your triple black '69 looks great (especially the Drag Stars). Why change it?

Thanks Kevin.  
Mine is originally a triple GREEN car,,,,that was re-painted a long time ago,,,paint is getting old,,,,body is very good,,,all original panels,,,actually a calif car,,,and a RT/SE 4 speed 440 car.

I love the black color,,,but have had it over 17 years,,,and might want a change,,,,it's a stripe delete car,,,,but i installed a matte black stripe recently which i like.  496 stroker,,,alum heads,,,solid cam,,,,pump gas car,,,,

Not sure what it is about the T7,,,,,just struck me,,,,and really like that look.......we'll see,,,,,

Cooter

I'm diggin' that 'ol '65!! HAd one back in HS...Now THAT'S old Skool...

R2

65 Belvedere II,,,strip car,,,451, alum heads, 13:1 compression, foot brake car,,,caltracs,,,,,runs 10.08 @ 133 MPH... thanks for the comments,,,Doug
(sorry to detract from the original post,,,,)

Rustymuscle

Quote from: greenpigs on January 23, 2011, 11:48:54 AM
I think this is better than the Hot Rod version with the Stumble Bee. :icon_smile_big:

Because of this quote, you have become my very best friend. :icon_smile_big:

Actually, a few years back, I fished a high-nickle cast block 440 out of a motorhome. Although Cooter is 100% right, the choice of a HEMI is to draw in a wider audience (and it's a friggin' HEMI, c'mon guys), I was going to do a super cheap 500hp rebuild on the motor for a "Big Block Junkyard Jewels" article (along with a 460 Ford and a 454 Chevy - all out of trucks, station wagons and vans).

I know its not the same, but we've got a LOT of irons in the fire for 2011 and as a Mopar guy at the wheel, I promise plenty of Chrysler content.
1970 Dodge Super Bee

mauve66

Quote from: Rustymuscle on January 23, 2011, 12:37:09 PM
Quote from: greenpigs on January 23, 2011, 11:48:54 AM
I think this is better than the Hot Rod version with the Stumble Bee. :icon_smile_big:

Because of this quote, you have become my very best friend. :icon_smile_big:

Actually, a few years back, I fished a high-nickle cast block 440 out of a motorhome. Although Cooter is 100% right, the choice of a HEMI is to draw in a wider audience (and it's a friggin' HEMI, c'mon guys), I was going to do a super cheap 500hp rebuild on the motor for a "Big Block Junkyard Jewels" article (along with a 460 Ford and a 454 Chevy - all out of trucks, station wagons and vans).

I know its not the same, but we've got a LOT of irons in the fire for 2011 and as a Mopar guy at the wheel, I promise plenty of Chrysler content.

that's what i appreciate........... i understand the hemi thing for the public (that's why overhaulin stole everyone of my ideas including car, mods, and location for the first gen they did, but my family knew i wanted a stroker wedge and "hated having a hemi like everyone else" so they picked a car that the kid just sold as soon as it was done).

i for one won't complain about your choices, i'm just super glad you picked a mopar (and not a damn e-body at that!!!!)
keep us posted in case we forget to check your site regularly :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment