News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger starting/electrical problems

Started by jedatide, January 18, 2011, 06:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedatide

I recently purchased a 1968 Dodge Charger (383). The car has not run in over 2 years. The engine was rebuilt about 5 years ago (high performance - do not have the internal specifics). I had to connect the Holley carb (670 cfm) w/elect choke. It has an MSD electronic system; ignition module (was removed and I replaced), distributor, coil. The alternator is a Powermaster (80 amp). The fusible link wire had lost its protective coating and was bare wire. The original wiring harness was replaced with an aftermarket kit (everything appears to be legitimate).
1. I connected the electronic choke to the alternator regulator (IGN - Dark blue/white wire) 12v ignition source.
2. I connected the MSD ignition module to the original connetion on the (IGN - Dark Blue wire).
I primed the carburetor and turned the ignition over. Initially, the started attempted to turn the flywheel, then the fan stopped moving; but the starter was still making noise. It did this several times until the motor attempted to crank. The motor never sounded like it was attempting to start in any way. During the attempts to start the motor the fusible link started smoking. What am I doing wrong? It appears that this was a previous issue with the fusible link.
Jeff

jedatide

I am trying to add photos, but having no such luck.  Can someone help me out?

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff

Dans 68

Jeff,

Welcome to the site. Email me the photos (look at my profile for the address) and I'll re-size for you.

Dan

Here are the re-sized photos.
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Cooter

Your letting the "Magic Smoke" out of that fusible link...Not good....Over heating...Check to see if you have a bad starter...Try a known good used one of another Chrysler...If ok, then I'd be checking the flywheel teeth on the torque converter to be sure they aren't "Suspect"...

After that, I'd need some more info...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

jedatide

HOT DAMN - SHE STARTED!!!  Whoooo Hoooo! I sent the photos above to the technician at powermaster and he figured her out for me. I could not figure out why there were 5 wires connected to the back of the alternator.  After looking at the wiring diagram for my car, I could not figure out where they were all supposed to be attached.  Apparently, the blue wire (hot) was attached to a ground and that was the short.  He told me to ground the two locations with the blue and brown wire and after that she fired right up. The brown was attached to the horns.  Is it a ground?

Now, I need to figure out why my temp gauge is not working.  The oil pressure gauge and the alternator gauge seem to be working fine.  I am not sure about the gas gauge.  It moved to half a tank and then back down to empty.  I know I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank.  Anyway, thanks for the advice.  Any recommendations on where to start with the temp gauge?
Jeff

Cooter

I wonder if the guy at powermasters can figure out Fuel senders? :lol: :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"