News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger front disk/caliper upgrade

Started by FLG, January 07, 2011, 08:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Can anyone recommend a good front disk/caliper combo that will be a upgrade over stock, but fit with 15" rims?

Car is an origional front disk car, just want some better stopping power.

Thanks

chargerbr549

You can go to the bigger 11 3/4 rotor from cordobas, magnums, st regis, some of the monaco's, basically the B Bodies from 75 to 81 ish of which I have on my 69 Charger and they work great and clear my 15" wheels but not by much so you might have to test fit them to make sure. Otherwise if your thinking aftermarket I can't really help you.

Kevin

elacruze

For a lot less trouble and $$ you could try a more performance oriented brake pad on the rotors you already have. I'm ordering a set of Porterfield pads for my own, after a lot of research.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

FLG

Thanks!

Was thinking of ordering a wilwood front setup but not sure if this will be a big difference over a stock caliper with a good set of pads and a cross drilled vented rotor?

Where are the pads listed for 73 charger? Couldn't find it on the site.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/wiprostbrki.html

dangina

Quote from: FLG on January 07, 2011, 08:27:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a good front disk/caliper combo that will be a upgrade over stock, but fit with 15" rims?

Car is an origional front disk car, just want some better stopping power.

Thanks

the best combo is the 11.75 rotors on 73 and up spindles with viper calipers and ss brake lines and the viper caliper adapter kit from mancini racing

FLG

I don't think the viper calipers clear 15" rims? Plus aren't they like 400$ a caliper? Bit steep.

elacruze

http://www.raceshopper.com/ These guys have Porterfield street pads for stock Chrysler calipers, $68/set.

On my car I replaced the drums with 11.75" rotors and stock Mopar calipers. I did spend a bunch on Powerstop drilled/slotted/zinc plated and cryogenically treated rotors. I think the Porterfield pads will make it a great combination. If you only wish for a significant improvement rather than an awesome tire-smoker, you may be surprised how much better good pads work on what you already have.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

FLG

Thank you sir, seems like a good way to go.

Where are the pads you speak of, couldn't find em?

dangina

Quote from: FLG on January 08, 2011, 06:45:37 PM
I don't think the viper calipers clear 15" rims? Plus aren't they like 400$ a caliper? Bit steep.

true - the 15" rims do clear the viper calipers - some of the guys are using this setup on their pro-touring cars and it will probably be the setup i'll be going with - you can find the viper calipers as cheap as 300$ for the pair on ebay once in awhile - just trying to give you the best setup under a 15" rim...

dangina

Quote from: elacruze on January 08, 2011, 08:19:08 PM
http://www.raceshopper.com/ These guys have Porterfield street pads for stock Chrysler calipers, $68/set.

On my car I replaced the drums with 11.75" rotors and stock Mopar calipers. I did spend a bunch on Powerstop drilled/slotted/zinc plated and cryogenically treated rotors. I think the Porterfield pads will make it a great combination. If you only wish for a significant improvement rather than an awesome tire-smoker, you may be surprised how much better good pads work on what you already have.

where did you get the rotors and how much were they?

elacruze

FLG, I had to make a request for a vehicle I knew the pads fit, and RaceShopper emailed me back with info and an 800 number to call. I didn't find them listed.

dangina; The rotors came directly from Powerstop, part number AR8309XR. I ordered them Cryo treated over the phone, IIRC the cryo is offered someplace on their website but not by part number. I got them nearly 2 years ago so my memory isn't clear. I know I spent a bunch of research time finding any high-quality rotors at all. I should have them on the spindles by week's end and calipers mounted as soon as they arrive to confirm that everything works together.
http://www.powerstop.com/welcome/product_list/ar8309xr
Looking back, they are listed for a '78-'81 Gran Fury. I remember having to go through about a hundred cross-references to arrive at the fitment.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

chargerbr549

FLG

Thanks Kevin, i think im going to go with elacruze's combo though  :2thumbs:

Ill be ordering all of it within the next month or two, if you get yours all assembled by than please tell me how it went  :2thumbs:

Also when you get the pads can you just give me the PN so i can simply call them up and order it that way  :2thumbs: