News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2008 Challenger SRT8 Opinions

Started by JMF, January 07, 2011, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Anyone know what the new Challenger is like? I would only get an SRT8, the only really newish car I've ever had is the 2005 Mustang GT so how do you think they compare, I realize the Challenger has more power but it also looks much bigger and heavier, any bad things to look out for on the Challenger if I went to view one? Thanks

speedfreak68

The Challenger is alot bigger, but I read a review that said it was the only retro car with a useable back seat. I'd take one in a flash, I'm 6'5 and I semi-fit in it.

NYCMille

As a road car the new Challenger is fantastic. It drives beautifully, has plenty of power and has leaps and bounds more comfort than any Mustang could ever hope to have. I have a 2006 SRT8 Magnum which is exactly the same as the Chally except with a really big trunk and at 6'4 and 245 lbs, it fits me perfect. Keep in mind though the Mustang will out handle a new Challenger everywhere. Otherwise they're great cars with great road manners.

Bobby41909

I may be able to help.  My wife had an '03 Mustang GT and I have an '09 Challenger SRT.  First the Challenger is bigger all around but tons more power.  Especially from a seat of the pants perspective.  I got the Challenger because I wanted  a retro ride with lots of power that I could cart my one year old son around with me.  The back seat is a very nice size and fits adults and kids in a car seat (although I wouldn't want to drive cross country).  The SRT handles awesome compared to the stang but does feel larger.  Having gone to the SRT experience I was surprised what you can do with this car.  I wouldn't go back to a stang, I love the Challenger and its not because its a MOPAR/FORD/CHEVY thing.  Its just a great all around car and gets tons of attention.   Kinda funny how that works out.  Its a car like any other you can go down to the dealership and pick one up but it still get attention. 
The SRT has tons of creature comforts, hands-free phone, NAV, sweet stereo, performance measuring gauges, etc.  The seats are comfy and I like the interior yet it isn't flashy. 
I got a auto because this is my daily driver and I have kids but at times I wish I got a 6-speed.  Then again at other times I am happy I have an auto. 

There are alot of performance mods for these SRT's but the best bang for your buck is the Diablo Sport tuner with a custom tune from DCX Depot. 

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.  Also might want to try www.challengertalk.com

Good Luck!

JMF

Thanks for the replies, nice car, lovely colour

maxwellwedge

The Challenger out-handled the Rustang in a few articles despite its extra size/weight.

elacruze

My bodyman has a Charger SRT8, and with a fresh air intake and power chip it ran 12.50's at Moroso on the stock tires.
Not my style, but badass by any measure.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Silver R/T

I'd love to have one. Hard to find one with manual trans
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparsons

Really......around here there are at least equal 6-speeds and autos.

71charger_fan

I've got a '10 SRT-8 6 speed and it's awesome. Although there're tons of aftermarket parts for these cars, other than fixing the wheel hop issue, there's nothing on the car I plan to upgrade.

Lord Warlock

Don't rule out the regular R/T should you decide an srt8 is a little too much.  The srt8 is definitely a good way to go, but personally i didn't want to use premium gas all the time,  and i wanted a little better miles per gallon than i was getting with my 04 SVT Cobra (supercharged mustang).  If you intend to track it or drive aggressively all the time, i'd go for the srt8, if looking for a daily driver, don't overlook the R/T. 

I bought a 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T last April, and am very satisfied with the purchase.  Much more room than a  mustang, or a camaro.  A little less horsepower than the SS and not as light or quick as the 2011 mustang gt or shelby, but it drives so much more comfortable on the highway that i was only too glad to give up a little power to gain a better ride.  It gets more attention than my cobra ever got, and it stands out in a crowd (hardly ever see that many challengers on the road, and almost never see another Yellow one) Mine has the OEM TA Hood package, mine is functional to the engine bay (still working on a ram air kit to the intake) it also has Tan Leather katzkin seatcovers, woodgrain dash kit, pistol grip handle for the auto shifter, navigation, upgraded SGII stereo, HID, sunroof, has an srt8 black rear spoiler with a rear view camera mounted in it, and a few personal touches such as magnaflow mufflers.  I painted the TA hood to match myself.  I also picked up a Diablo Predator tuner for xmas, so it has a few more ponies than stock.  After owning my charger r/t for 33 years, and owning my stealth R/T twin turbo for 18, i figured i needed another R/T, and this time i chose to buy my first brand new car in my 30 years of driving.  I'm glad i chose this over the mustang or camaro.  I do sometimes wish it had more power, but the 5% of the time i care about power is easily offset by the 95% of the time i don't care, or am driving it in traffic to and from work. 

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

68X426

I've been looking hard at 2010 SRTs and RTs, what with the 2011 being really jacked up in price.

Lord Warlock made some real good points. There are lots of RTs on the lots, with nearly all the SRT features and upgrades available. Only significant differences seem to be the RT has the 5.7 Hemi, no Brembo brakes and no locking diff. Lots of the RTs have the TrackPak and Super TrackPak which I think is the same as the standard SRT suspension. For 10 grand less I think the RT is a great value at the moment. :Twocents:

Well as much a value as any 35-40k car might be. :eek2:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Lord Warlock

I will say that right now is a great time to buy a new 2010 srt8 challenger,  they are heavily discounted with the 2011's coming out.  We're seeing srt8's priced as low as 36k new, which is pretty hard to beat, thats about what i paid for mine new.  (35.2 vs sticker at 39.7).  The super track pack is available on automatics, the track pack on 6spd R/T's and the suspension is as good as an srt8.  With updated tunes the R/T automatics are running in the high 12s which isn't far off from the srt8 times.  I drove both before buying mine, a six spd srt8 and an auto r/t and actually preferred the automatic (then again i'm getting old and the left leg isn't what it used to be).

If price isn't an object, i'd go for the newer 2011 392 powered srt8.  If track superiority is your only goal, i'd have to go mustang via the shelby gt500 or the new 2012 Boss 302, i'd love to get a boss, but i'm not going to toss away the R/T until they've been out a couple years first.  I've driven mustangs for the last 9 years, and much happier with the room and trunk space and comfort of the challenger. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

mikepmcs

You're more than welcome to come get mine.  Love the car but.....can't appreciate the car and don't drive it. Priority is photography and most of my car hobby is about to go away soon.  It's holding me from relocating as well.  I'm housebound and carbound.  :lol:
Here was my local listing in the fall. Has all the trick goodies you'll want and you don't have to spend the money to get them.
2008 Challenger SRT-8. 6.1L Hemi Automatic. One of 6400 made. #3647. First year of the retro Challenger and only 3 options were available. This car has all 3. Sunroof, Navigation, bigger rear tires. Also has the 13 speaker Kicker system. Car has 9800 miles, that's right, 9800. Hemi Orange with custom SRT Stripes. Diablo Predator Tuner, Cold Air Intake, Custom Exhaust, Oil Catch Can, 85mm throttlebody, JET 180* T-stat. I have the original parts as well. I don't have time to enjoy the car. Email me if you want to see the car or have any questions. $34,500.00

You can have it for $33k.  
you'll find some pics and stuff here.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53747.75.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?