News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are the most popular color combos?

Started by revshag, December 28, 2010, 12:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revshag

Hey Guys,

I'm a model builder and making plans to build models of the different 2nd Gen Chargers.  I'm going to do a 68 R/T, 69 R/T, 69 500, 69 Daytona, and 70 R/T.  I want do the most popular exterior/interior combos for each year (as they came from the factory).  I'm hoping it will result in a cool display.  If a certain color is the most popular over multiple years then I'll make some changes.  Does anyone know what those combos are or where I could find that out?  I checked some of the year-specific registry sites but that information is only specific to registered vehicles.  I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Chris

Troy

You want the most popular colors then or now? Earth tones were big back then and green/green or bronze/black were pretty popular. Black, red, and most blues were pretty far down on the list.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

I've never seen a factory official count. That would be interesting. :popcrn:

For 1968 all Mopars were green on green, not just Chargers. I was there. It's a myth that any other color combo was available for 68.

:D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

The70RT

Probably orange now....but not factory  :lol: Realistically now I would Say Black, Blue & Red  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maxwellwedge

68 - Seafoam with a white gut

69  - F6

70 - Any of the H.I.P colors

These are my faves

gers1968rt

Here are the exterior colors that are listed on the 1969 charger registry. Looks like F8 green, R4 red, T5 copper, B5 blue and F5 green were popular.

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/exterior.html
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

tan top

:D
       Y2  :drool5:     black top & interior
:yesnod: :popcrn: 
just kidding  :D

to be honest  i think  , dark green F8    bronze T5 & T7  , B5 blue , R4 red
not checked the registry yet & forget what it was last time i looked  , but i recon its close   with the colors i mentioned above
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Admirality blue

1970 Dodge Coronet 440/Superbee.   Dk.green -Gatorgrain (black) vinyl top, black leather interior, flatblack rear (red accent trim around back taillights-front grilles),  no black tailstripe,  black 15" rims w/pentasar redline hubcaps.    in 1970 Greens-Browns-Golds-Silvers were the most popular colors.         

AKcharger

Red with a black vinyl top...the ultimate combo!

jaak

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 28, 2010, 05:01:10 PM
68 - Seafoam with a white gut

69  - F6

70 - Any of the H.I.P colors

These are my faves
:iagree:

Jason

revshag

Quote from: Troy on December 28, 2010, 01:16:38 PM
You want the most popular colors then or now? Earth tones were big back then and green/green or bronze/black were pretty popular. Black, red, and most blues were pretty far down on the list.

Troy

I want to know what the popular colors were back in the day.

I'm kinda thinking I'll do the 68 green, black top and stripe and green interior (one of these HAS to have the green interior), maybe do the 69 with a bronze exterior, the 500 might get the red/black combo, the 70 will definitely get the High Impact Color, and I'm not sure about the Daytona.

Chris

Troy

I believe the most popular combo on the Daytona was probably orange/black and I have seen a lot of red/black 500s. You'll have to check with the guys in the Aero section on those. I'd say green was the overall winner in 68-69 but there were at least 4 different shades (and I don't think the darkest green was the most popular but it seems to look the best now). In 70 I doubt any of the high impact colors was at the top of the popularity list.

Troy

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on December 29, 2010, 09:48:37 AM
In 70 I doubt any of the high impact colors was at the top of the popularity list.

Believe it or not, Plum Crazy was at the top of the charts in 1970 for the Charger R/T. I think the Challenger was the same.

Khyron

Citron Yella with a black stripe down the side :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Troy

Quote from: Chris G. on December 29, 2010, 09:59:47 AM
In 70 I doubt any of the high impact colors was at the top of the popularity list.

Believe it or not, Plum Crazy was at the top of the charts in 1970 for the Charger R/T. I think the Challenger was the same.
I was thinking of the overall production but I guess the numbers get skewed a little when only looking at the high-performance versions. Since he's building all R/Ts that makes sense.

Troy

Chris G.

Quote from: Troy on December 29, 2010, 10:18:50 AM
I was thinking of the overall production but I guess the numbers get skewed a little when only looking at the high-performance versions.

True, and EB5 is the overall popular choice in '70, followed by FK5, FF4 and EF8.

Troy

Quote from: Chris G. on December 29, 2010, 10:45:29 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 29, 2010, 10:18:50 AM
I was thinking of the overall production but I guess the numbers get skewed a little when only looking at the high-performance versions.

True, and EB5 is the overall popular choice in '70, followed by FK5, FF4 and EF8.
So blue, brown :P, green (light) and green (dark).

Troy

Admirality blue

Revshag.   make the 68RT dk.bronze w/black bumblebee/vinyl roof-interior, pentastar redline hubcaps.  69RT. the most mass produced advertisements show it white or red.  make the 69RT/SE triple White,white vinyl top,white leather interior with a black tailstripe w/redlines & magnum 500's.  69 500. paint dk.green w/black int/tailstripe w/black rims-Pentastar caps.  don't know the color numbers of the 69 500 but i'll bet most were dk.green, though the promo/road test car in all advertisements was red/black, did'nt know they make a 69 500 model kit?.   69 Daytona promo/test car in advertisements was red/white. in dealer showrooms many were red but most were dk.green. make the 69 Daytona the #71 bobby issac K&K insurance car.  70RT paint it burnt orange w/burnt orange interior w/black tailstripe (hardtop), or burnt orange/black interior-vinyl top. make sure rallye rims (not magnums),  most 70RTs were ordered standard w/various hubcaps or ordered w/14"-15" Rallye rims.     

69_500

Here is a break down on 1969 Charger 500's from my records.

these are only the ones I have seen though.

15 F5 green cars with green interior.
13 F8 green cars with green interior.
9  B5 blue cars with blue interior.
8  R4 red cars with white interior.
18 R4 red cars with black interior.
9 T5 bronze cars with tan interior.

Those are the most popular combinations that I have seen.
Personally I like the odd ball combinations though as they stand out more.
Like only 2 Q5 Charger 500's so far and both have black interior.
1 Y2 yellow car came with a green interior.
1 A4 silver car came with a blue interior.
Oddly enough I have only seen 1 factory R4 red 500 with tan interior.
And both of the 99 99 orange cars I've seen have had black interior.
Only one B5 blue car with white interior that I've seen.

By far the most common color combinations on Daytona's are V2 orange and black, and R4 red and black. I don't think its even close on any of  the other color combinations. Between those two color combinations I'd think that would be around 1/3 of  the total cars produced.

Nacho-RT74

one combo with the rebel flag on the roof :P
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

revshag

Thanks for the help guys.

I am a Dukes fan and have build GL models and was hoping to avoid having any more orange in the collection, but we'll see.  I've got lots to do.

Chris

hemigeno

I believe the most popular combo on the Daytona was probably orange/black and I have seen a lot of red/black 500s. You'll have to check with the guys in the Aero section on those. I'd say green was the overall winner in 68-69 but there were at least 4 different shades (and I don't think the darkest green was the most popular but it seems to look the best now). In 70 I doubt any of the high impact colors was at the top of the popularity list.

Troy

Based on what we've observed from actual Daytona fender tag information, 1 in 4 Daytonas was painted R4 Red, and an equal number (1 in 4) were painted V2 Hemi Orange.  That's half of the total production run, so if you want popular colors it doesn't get any more "popular" than that.  No other paint colors get close, to be honest (for Daytonas anyway).  Interior and/or stripe combinations make the total percentage calculations a lot more complicated, but black is by far the most popular choice.

The Daytona production run didn't necessarily follow the paint color trend in overall '69 Charger production, as Chris' '69 Charger Registry color breakdown shows.

Khyron

Quote from: revshag on December 31, 2010, 05:20:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I am a Dukes fan and have build GL models and was hoping to avoid having any more orange in the collection, but we'll see.  I've got lots to do.

Chris

Quote from: Khyron on December 29, 2010, 10:04:09 AM
Citron Yella with a black stripe down the side :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.