News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ram powertrain

Started by squishy73, December 28, 2010, 04:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy73

good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has successfully taken a ram powertrain and put it in a charger? i have a 73 charger with a 318 and id like to convert the pwertrain over. the truck has a 318 hooked up to a 5spd NV3500 transmission and dana rear.  if it is possible what did you have to do to make it fit? any input would be greatly appreciated

Troy

Member hotrod98 has a 5.9/A518 from a Ram in his wife's '72 Cuda. Your engine will fit but you'll have a bear of a time getting that NV3500 installed. It's waaaaaay too big! The Dana can be modified to fit - truck rear ends are the wrong width, don't have the pinion snubber provision, and the mounts are in the wrong place.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

squishy73

thanks for the insight i appreciate it.

Troy

Oh, and the oil pans/pickups are different.

Troy

squishy73

yeah the ram oil pans come out way easier. do you have any suggestions as to which 5spd to hook up to the 5.2? and do think its worth modifying the dana to put in the charger?

Troy

If you're using the Ram drive train there's no need for a Dana in the Charger. Assuming you have an 8 3/4" now though. All the modifications are fairly easy except for the pinion snubber mount.

Which 5-speed? You can't use one from the truck so that leaves you with cobbling one together or purchasing a kit. In either case, the popular choice id the T-5 (commonly found in Mustangs). You'll have more tied up in that than conversion than the rest of the drive train. If you really need/want overdrive then use an A518 automatic from the truck. If you want a stick just because you like them then find an old 23-spline A833 (or an overdrive A833 from a late 70s truck or car). You'll still need to come up with the rest of the 4-speed conversion parts (pedals, linkages, rods, clutch, etc.).

Troy

squishy73

The Charger has an 8 1/4 rear. Thats why I'd like to use the Dana out of the truck.  The A833 sounds like a good idea. I dont want to use an automatic, i was hoping to use the NV 3500 but since it doesnt fit i'll look for an A833.

FLG

Do you plan on going to the strip? That 8.25 can hold up for street driving.

squishy73

I plan on doing some time on the strip, but the 8 1/4 i have is an open diff and id like to have a limited slip outback. Id also like to have a rear that i wont have to upgrade in the future.