News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with 68 charger

Started by G-man, December 25, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hello

I am still having issues with the Charger. When it rains the car fills up with water and I end up with soaking wet carpet. So, i checked the windshield seal and it was not sealed. So I went and bought some methylated spirits and windscreen sealant. I cleaned it all up and sealed the screen. Last night it rained and cars full of water again. I checked the seal and the water is not leaking under the windscreen seal anymore it is actually going over the top of the seal in the right hand corner (pass side) under the chrome moulding and going into the car that way.

How do I fix this headache? Pour more sealant in the corner under the chrome strip to stick the chrome to the rubber seal?

How do I remove that chrome strip thats on the bottom of the windscreen?

Also my rear window chrome stripping the right hand side corner piece came off and I have no clue how the heck that gets clipped in...

Help appreciated and hopefully before the next rain hits which is probbably 1 hour away...  :brickwall: 

BigBlackDodge

Hows your wiper pivot seals?

BBD

G-man

I think they are fine. I actually sat in the car and got my wife to pour water over the screen and I saw it come in on the right hand side of the dash board. So I got a straw, filled it up with water and stuck the straw down that hole in the corner of the screen, and my guess was right... water went in car through that particular spot. I just dont want to seal the chrome to the rubber if that is not meant to be done and there is another way of doing it... but at the same time I cant properly see whats going on under there because I need to remove the chrome strip to see exactly whats happening and I dont know how to remove that strip... im new to this and everything is foreign to me  :-\

tricky lugnuts

First things first - got a tarp?

G-man

Yes I got a tarp but living ontop of the mountain the wind is not very friendly with it  :icon_smile_blackeye:

UFO

To remove that trim,there is a clip that uses a phillips head screw on the inside of the door jam area.
The rest of the clips use a hook tool to release them.
Use the search feature there is a thread that has pics of said tool and how to use it.

G-man

Is there a way to get it off without a hook tool?

I only have a screw driver set, spanner set and socket set.

tricky lugnuts

I hear ya . . . Ohio River Valley used to play hell with mine!

Just saying - anything you can do in the next hour to keep that carpet from getting wet again is a good thing, especially if it's a nice carpet that you'd like to keep.

I was just hoping there might be some short-term solution to get you by until tomorrow or something . . . I always had good luck tucking the ends of the tarp up under the real valance by the leaf spring shackles and up under front bumper, pulling everything pretty tight and sticking the corners up in there real good.

But if you're living up on MOunt Washington or something, that might just get your Charger airborne!

Any parts store should have the "hook" tool you need. Without it you probably risk damaging your trim.

G-man

I cant seem to see any screw.

Its the chrome strip that goes from left to right on the bottom of the windscreen. It seems its glued on or something. Ignorance on how to do something on this is Frustrating me to no end!

UFO

A picture will make it easier.
Might be hiding under the w/strip.

G-man

thanks... i managed to find it but the screw is rounded off and cant be undone and i also found the leak. Took the door A pillar moulding off and the water comes just under the corner of the window. I will pour some window sealer in the hole and hopefully that fixes it. Is that the right thing to do?

G-man

Well the fun continues.

There seems to be 2 window seals. The main seal that is seen and then a seal that sits under the chrome strip that the window seal sits against. The seal under the chrome is the one thats got a hole in it on the left and right hand corner. Right hand corner found and done... left hand about to be done. Lets hope this fixes the issue! For first time doing something like this... I'm happy about the achievement.  :icon_smile_big:

doctor4766

There is only one seal.
The molding needs to be removed in order to see that.
Once the molding is off you will notice that there appears to be a "split" in the rubber along it's entire length.
This is the self locking type of windshield rubber so to seal between the glass and rubber or rubber and body it's better to "unlock" the rubber first by hooking that "split" apart. Then you can calk butyl mastic both between the rubber and glass and the rubber and body in your problem area(s). Don't use any sealant that you get from Supercrap Auto parts as it's probably just a silicone. Get the right stuff from an autoglass shop. Bostik 5614 is the preferred product of professionals here in Australia.
Pump in plenty of mastic then lock the rubber back up again. Then clean off the excess mastic that will ooze out with a putty knife then kero before refitting the molding.
Gotta love a '69

41husk

The seals have never been replaced but the wind shield gasket has.  I ordered it from year one and it was put in with the new glass about 6 years ago.  It was always stored inside and the only time it saw rain is if I got caught out in it.  I never had an issue with leaking but the only water it saw was warshing.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

G-man

so whats the gasket and what is the seal and which one of the 2 would need the replacing?

All I saw with the chrome strip on was that in the corner there is a gap about 1 inch wide... like the corner piece is missing or something (the seal bit under the chrome strip)

Still leaking....

Looks like I have to get the chrome off to see what on earth is going on. So I need to go buy a hook tool.

I know someone explained how to use it but I did not quite get it considering I have never seen this stuff before...

Stick the hook part of the tool under the chrome strip... slide it along till it hits a clip and then? Does it unclip towards the hood or up towards the glass, which direction do i unclip from... any picture or drawing to explain how the thing unclips so I know what to be 'trying' to do?

Thanks

68r/t

Aussies call them seals and Americans call them gaskets, it is the same thing and there is only one seal around the windshield.
Follow Docs instructions and you will be right,  all the mouldings have to come off if you want to do the whole screen.

UFO

Let's see how well I can describe this,,,What your trying to do with the hook is lift the clip away from the trim, more of a twisting motion.
It will take some practice and some clips are more stubborn than other's.
Hopefully someone didn't slop a whole bunch of sealer under the trim and bury a few clips.Since it's leaking I doubt that will be a issue.

doctor4766

The tool shown here on the left is what I've been using for 20 years.
We use it to unclip the molding.
A hook tool is a different thing altogether.

Gotta love a '69

UFO

The one on the left is what I'm talkin about.

G-man

I see.

Where can I get that tool from Paul?

G-man

Well I got the chrome strip off without the tool... I slid it off by hand.

It seems that the water is going under the seal into the car. I poured the water against the body behind the seal and it goes into the car... what on earth the problem is... seems I may just have to pay someone that knows what the heck there doing to get this fixed because I have no clue how to get the mouldings back on or anything else... if I pull it all apart I wont know how to get it back together again. Whats wrong with it... I got no clue.  :-\

charger Downunder

George take it to a windscreen shop the screen will have to come out, they will clean it up and re seal it plus they have the right tools for the job. If you crack the screen you will have to pay big $ to fix it.
[/quote]

doctor4766

Quote from: G-man on December 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM
I see.

Where can I get that tool from Paul?

Available from glaziers/autoglass suppliers or you could probably buy one from O'Briens.
Should cost around $20-25
Gotta love a '69

HOTROD

Check the cowl or the vents water rusts them out ,the pic is not mine !!
What the Hell-Dumass !