News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuilding a 360

Started by DustinSimmonds, December 25, 2010, 01:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustinSimmonds

Does anyone have any idea of what is capable of a rebuilt 360? Such as torque, horsepower, and what it could be rebored to?

Challenger340

Strictly limited by how much you wanna spend ?
IMO,
pretty open ended question without a budget or more specifics ?

But,
if you are talking pretty basic complete rebuilds, Block machine Pkg., Head machine Pkg., and assembly, with aftermarket Pistons, Camshaft(Flat Tappet Hydraulic), ARP Rod Bolts, Valves, and some Bolt-ons like Intake & Carb,
then,
400-425 hp is easily attainable with the stock 360 Internals(Crank & Rods) and Cast heads on Pump Fuel.

If you start getting into Strokers & Aftermarket Aluminum Heads, the Sky is the limit right up to 700hp, the stock Block being the limiting factor.

.060"overbore is usually safe, WITH a Sonic Test to verify cylinder Wall Integrity(Thickness).

Only wimps wear Bowties !

femtnmax

:iagree:
I have put together a 360:  Ross flat top piston, 0.03 overbore, set at zero deck for about 10.5:1 compression, aluminum Edel rpm magnum heads & air gap intake, Bullet cam 226/229 duration at 0.05 lift with about 0.54 lift using 1.6 rocker arm ratio, 850 cfm TQ carb, Hooker super comp headers.  Estimate is about 400 tq and 400 hp.
Unshrouding the valves really helped on those Edel heads, I don't know why they had so much extra material stuffed around the valves.  I also opened up the pushrod restriction.   Still finishing the car so have not run it yet.
The 0.06 overbore with sonic test I would totally agree with.  If your searching for every cubic inch there are better ways to get there...stroker kit
Phil

NHCharger

I'm building a 360 for my 72 Charger this winter. The engine builder that is helping me said a few simple add on's will easily give you 350-360 hp. After that more hp will cost you. One thing to keep in mind a SB will not give you the torque that the BB's will, at least not cheaply.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

DustinSimmonds

Thanks for the input guys!  :icon_smile_big: So what parts would you recommend for maximizing the HP. I want to get the most out of this engine and i'm going to be getting it rebuild here soon. I'm having a friend rebuild it here Jan. 11th. So what parts and what brands would be best?

femtnmax

Do you want to maximize hp or torque?  Torque is king on the street, so don't pick too big a camshaft if thats where you will be using the car.
The big "3" for performance are:
1. compression  (10.5:1 with aluminum heads or 9.5:1 with cast iron heads works easily on pump gas).  Suggest forged pistons, rather than hypereutectic.
2. cylinder heads  (RHS has a good cast iron product, Edelbrock is ok for aluminum)
3. camshaft  (tells the engine what rpm range the powerband is at. Look for most valve lift for least duration)
Call Lunati tech and have them help you pick a cam, they offer Mopar specific cam lobe rates to make use of the larger lifter diameter.
The big "4" includes the intake manifold, which is an extension of the cylinder head intake port.  Smokey Yunick said to look at airflow from air filter to exhaust tail pipe.  So along with the intake manifold think about exhaust system too (headers & low restriction muffler with dual exhaust).

You can push all of this, like was said...how fast do you want to go and how much money are you willing to spend?
Phil

nrt69

check out page 72 of the FEB 2011 Mopar Muscle magazine.