News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone change a car's model?

Started by motorcitydak, December 22, 2010, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

I have no desire to do it, Im just curious if it could be done. Take another similar year B body and toss other sheet metal on it. I know that most of the internal pieces would be the same, it would just need the exterior. You could get a $1000 shell of another B body, cut the roof, quarters and tail off then replace with new...o I dunno, maybe Charger parts. Looking back, it could have been cheaper for me to go that way since I paid $3000 for my car and still had to replace both quarters.

This all got started when I read an article about one of Richard Petty's Nascar Superbirds that had been recently discovered. It had been rebodied with Gen III Charger parts. I know thats a racing chassis so its really not the same thing, just got me thinkin....so, can/has it been done?
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

68X426

Sure it's possible. Anything can be accomplished with your money and your expertise - or - your money and someone else's expertise. :Twocents:

Seems to me what matters is the vision of the end product. Some visions don't work, even if the metal can go on the frame.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TruckDriver

That's what happens when you do drugs in a auto bady shop  :eek2: :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

vancamp

i was curious about this to if you could take say a coronet and an amd catalog and make a charger? it would sure save alot of chargers for the dukes jumps and help amd sell parts a win win for everybody.

motorcitydak

Yep

Anyone know if the internal pieces are the same between 68-70 B's to the 71-74's? Maybe you could take a gen III Charger and make it into a gen II?
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Ghoste

I think the 3rd gen to 2nd gen might be a bit of a stretch but there was a 69 Charger convertible making the rounds not very long ago that was actually a Coronet rag with the Charger sheet metal.

Cooter

Yes, all the substructure of the '68-'70 B bodies was the same..IE Side glass, Floorboards, Trunk, etc. Wheel wells would have to be changedthough..Given enough money, you could turn a Coronet into a Gen II Charger...With AMD onboard now, Mopar is gonna be as easy to rebuild as a '69 Camaro...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

motorcitydak

Thats cool to know. Seems like you could take this car which is in even better shape than needed and turn in into a Charger for $5000 or so in new sheet metal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Coronet-Super-Bee-Clone-/330510819228?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf3fadf9c#ht_500wt_1182
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Grim Jhaixus

71-74 not so much. 71-72s can swap and 73-74s can swap, but you would prolly be better off fabricating a shell then trying to fit 2nd gen body metal on either 3rd gen.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

HOTROD

Quote from: motorcitydak on December 22, 2010, 10:59:48 PM
Thats cool to know. Seems like you could take this car which is in even better shape than needed and turn in into a Charger for $5000 or so in new sheet metal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Coronet-Super-Bee-Clone-/330510819228?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cf3fadf9c#ht_500wt_1182

:2thumbs: go for it !!!
just change the doors quarters and rear end valance keep the rear back glass !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

Cooter

Quote from: motorcitydak on December 22, 2010, 10:59:48 PM

I assume by your enthusiasm, that your gonna do ALL THE WORK? If not, you might wanna rethink this...ALOT OF LABOR involved in swpaping the entire shell...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on December 22, 2010, 10:26:05 PM
Yes, all the substructure of the '68-'70 B bodies was the same..IE Side glass, Floorboards, Trunk, etc. Wheel wells would have to be changedthough..Given enough money, you could turn a Coronet into a Gen II Charger...With AMD onboard now, Mopar is gonna be as easy to rebuild as a '69 Camaro...
The trunk floors are different. The inner roof structure is also different.

Old race cars (late 60s) started out as whole bodies. Once the cages and roll bars were installed it was easier to "reskin" the car for the next year's model. Of course, I doubt none of the outer sheet metal was structural at that point AND it didn't have to meet any sort of quality control for fit and finish. The 71-74 B-bodies had a different windshield, roof line, and cowl so this required more work (and why most don't look "quite right".

To do this conversion you'll still need everything else that goes on a Charger - including the expensive parts like grill, tail lights, rally dash and wiring, door panel and pads, wheel well trim, and bumpers. Chargers aren't so expensive yet that it makes sense to do it this way. Plus, your resale value will suck. You'd be better off finding a B-body "donor" to swap the frame rails, inner fenders, cowl, etc. if you're Charger is rusted underneath.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Troy on December 23, 2010, 10:15:18 AM

Old race cars (late 60s) started out as whole bodies. Once the cages and roll bars were installed it was easier to "reskin" the car for the next year's model. Of course, I doubt none of the outer sheet metal was structural at that point AND it didn't have to meet any sort of quality control for fit and finish. The 71-74 B-bodies had a different windshield, roof line, and cowl so this required more work (and why most don't look "quite right".

To do this conversion you'll still need everything else that goes on a Charger - including the expensive parts like grill, tail lights, rally dash and wiring, door panel and pads, wheel well trim, and bumpers. Chargers aren't so expensive yet that it makes sense to do it this way. Plus, your resale value will suck. You'd be better off finding a B-body "donor" to swap the frame rails, inner fenders, cowl, etc. if you're Charger is rusted underneath.

Troy

You are quite correct, sir.  However, from what I understand, it's easier to make a Charger convertible out of another B-body convertible shell, e.g. Coronet.  If that helps.

Troy

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on December 26, 2010, 12:06:26 AM
Quote from: Troy on December 23, 2010, 10:15:18 AM

Troy

You are quite correct, sir.  However, from what I understand, it's easier to make a Charger convertible out of another B-body convertible shell, e.g. Coronet.  If that helps.
I don't know about "easier" but "cheaper" is likely - because the cost of the donor is much less (and you don't kill a real Charger to do it). The M.A.R.S. conversion was done this way. Since you're not worried about the roof structure there's more cutting than welding in that area.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.