News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY RANT ON MEMBERS FOR PROFIT !

Started by skip68, December 18, 2010, 03:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

Well, Just my opinion on the names and address thing, I think there should be a stickied post at the top of both forums with screen names and the town and state where these people live, along with the screen name of the person reporting them. That way if someone else wanted to buy or sell something to someone from the same town and state as one listed, that person could PM the one that reported it and they could compare names and addresses in private to see if they are the same. That way the board stays away from the possibility of libel.

Any of that makes sense? I'm only on my first cup of coffee ˙dn pǝxıɯ ǝlʇʇıl ɐ ǝq ʇɥƃıɯ ı os    :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bobs69

Quote from: skip68 on January 16, 2011, 10:31:52 PM
I don't know how to say this without sounding rude.... I don't want to be the leader.   I don't want to get 10,000 pm's.  BUT, I won't turn my back on any of you that want to tell me something and just don't want to post it here. I know most don't want to get involved and that's fine.  I knew when I started this thread I would get a ton of pm's and take a little heat.  I'm ok with that.  So, I will be the leader of this thread and welcome all pm's.  Don't think that I don't want to hear what you have to say, because I do.  I saw a problem, I spoke up, and here we are today........  I guess I've gotten so much from this site over all the years that part of me feels I need to look out for others here.  It may sound corny but, that's how I feel.     Your dumb leader, skip68...   Chuck.

Hey man.........I was just trying to make light of the situation!  I'm glad this is out in the open.  We help each other with technical knowledge, why not help each other save a few bucks.

Funny thing, if someone was to complain enough about a problem at my work, they could regret because then they'd be told to document or fix it themselves or whatever.  Point is they'd give you more work to do so you'd think twice about trying to improve anything in the future!!! hahaha.

skip68

I hear you on that. I don't think that will happen here though.  I may have to change my name after this...  Haha.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bobs69

Can the moderators not just delete the asshole.  Really.  Do it and it's done.  Why wouldn't they?

Really, Why wouldn't they?

Ebay has the positive feedback % by memebers accounts, why can't we.  Whats Dixie Lee's rating on ebay?

Bobs69

Check this link out.  Scroll down to the for sale forum.  Take note that it says you "MUST HAVE 100 POSTS AND A FULLY FILLED OUT PROFILE TO POST IN THE FOR SALE SECTION."

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

NGC414

I think were getting onto something here, I have made a few posts about why I think setting a minimum post count is not the way to go..But what if the moderators changed the registration rules a bit just in the classified section. Such as:
Anyone posting in the classifieds must disclose full name, address, and contact number whch can only be seen by Moderators. Not other Members (for privacy reasons).
If a member makes a purchace or sells something in the classifieds then the sellers and buyers info is given to them at that time for (contact and shipping). (This might also eliminate dead beat sellers and buyers knowing the other party is going to get there contact info and address).
A good checks and balances would be to set it up that Items can only be shipped to the address listed in the members registration.
If a member buys something or sells something and discovers a descrepency between the address they are shipping to or receiving from, then he can alert a moderator and the other person will need to explain why they are using different info than what was registered.

Its not a perfect system, but I think if there was a way to make it happen, it would cut down on bad deals and shady sellers a lot.

ACUDANUT

If I were a Moderator, I would not want the headaches.  It's just like anything else out there. Buyer beware.
A minimum of at least a 100 posts might be a good idea, or being a member for a year or something..I don't know. :Twocents:
BTW I think you should actually own a Charger to be on this site.  :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 25, 2011, 10:10:03 AM
If I were a Moderator, I would not want the headaches.  It's just like anything else out there. Buyer beware.
A minimum of at least a 100 posts might be a good idea, or being a member for a year or something..I don't know. :Twocents:
Ah, finally someone who may have actually read the stickied posts at the top of all the Classified sections!

For anyone who hasn't... the Classifieds aren't discussion forums so any posts (especially ignorant, rude, hateful, or demeaning) not directly related to the item in question will be deleted. This is why the For Sale areas don't allow replies. Replies are only enabled for the Wanted sections for clarification. Otherwise, all communication between buyer and seller should be in private.

For Sale ads marked as "sold" are locked and so are Wanted ads marked as "found". This is the answer to the great mystery about Mrs.Caveman's thread. All ads get pruned from time to time to remove older items. Therefore, it makes no sense to have a long conversation in a Classified ad because it will disappear and not really do much good.

I certainly don't have time to monitor every member and transaction transaction or babysit a bunch of people who can't act like adults. Neither do any of the moderators - and I wouldn't expect them to.

Yes, I am concerned about people using the site to take advantage or scam others. That's why all posts and personal messages can be reported. It is not however the site's responsibility to act as a mediator for business transactions between two individuals. Any kind of feedback system is imperfect, basically gives free reign for people to make unsubstantiated claims about others, and requires a lot of effort to moderate.

I have thought about using post counts to limit permissions and access. As mentioned, that's not really foolproof either and anyone with ill intentions has already figured out how to get around that. Without keeping a file on each and every member to determine their worthiness there's not a system that provides a much better result than what we have now. We've had long-time members in good standing suddenly defrauding people in the past so nothing will catch them all.

As for members who buy/sell parts as a business (or just to make money but not as a business just so no one gets offended), they can provide an important service. It's pretty easy to spot them since they'll have a post count a 0 but have ads all over the place. Most of the time their prices are high(er) so that's another red flag. Many of them do have a good reputation and would like to keep it that way so, in a way, they're a safer bet than someone without a lot of transactions. It is great when members can "help out" others by offering parts at discounted prices and it's really annoying when a "flipper" takes advantage of that to cash in but it's not illegal or forbidden - just rude and irresponsible. Basically, the seller should be checking out buyers just like buyers should be checking out sellers.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Troy

ACUDANUT

I can't speak for others, But I see what's going on.
BTW Moderators here do this for a hobby...Like us...This is a "not-for profit web site" ..Use your common sense on buying or selling here...Do your homework and find out who is a real enthusiast or a "dealer".
I am sensing people from "Europe" wanting cars here are "questionable"....However, If they have the money and you need to sell....Sell....money talks...Bullshit walks. BTW I see Cavewoman Or Caveman's wanted add is gone.  :2thumbs:

dixie lee

Troy

Ummm, yeah, you're completely innocent...

Don't think that by stopping the escapades in the Classifieds that I condone your behavior.

Troy

General_01

Dixie, please stop. I forgot to put my boots on before getting on the computer and the manure you are spreading is getting all over my shoes. ::)
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: General_01 on January 25, 2011, 10:37:11 PM
Dixie, please stop. I forgot to put my boots on before getting on the computer and the manure you are spreading is getting all over my shoes. ::)

Its strange to change User names and ID's but the mailing address and phone # stay the same. Easy to figure out who your dealing with. A lot of people do good things but that doesn't  always make them good people. Whether you buy and sell for profit doesn't really bother me, a lot off us have done it. Its when you throw it in someones face that you made a profit is pretty tacky.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

General_01

I just find it funny that he has to change his username and ID. If your honest and good to deal with, you usually want to keep the same name so word of mouth spreads and you get more business.

You only change your name and ID's when your a pain in the ass and make money by stiffing people and word of mouth spreads NOT to deal with you.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

elacruze

Robin Hood, eh?

Dedication to your charities doesn't change the impact your actions have on a person. Ethics would suggest that you undertake all transactions with equal fair intent.

Or not.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Bobs69

Funny you told me they didn't come in 8" only 8.5 and talked down to me because of it.

472 R/T SE

I'm always leery of anyone who has to self promote themselves.

68charger383

Quote from: dixie lee on January 25, 2011, 07:50:24 PM
I have donated an automatic Floor console, headliner bows, engine parts, hood hinges to people that have a charger that spend their time doing benefits to raise money for "MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION" Anything that I have I sell to make the money to donate to Make a wish or mercy flight charities!!!  This is me, I don't make a living off this site, I turn things into donations for the less fortunate..
:angel:

Please advise us who you donated the parts to for the charger so we can contact them to confirm and put this issue to bed?  :popcrn:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

dixie lee

Quote from: 68charger383 on January 27, 2011, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: dixie lee on January 25, 2011, 07:50:24 PM
I have donated an automatic Floor console, headliner bows, engine parts, hood hinges to people that have a charger that spend their time doing benefits to raise money for "MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION" Anything that I have I sell to make the money to donate to Make a wish or mercy flight charities!!!  This is me, I don't make a living off this site, I turn things into donations for the less fortunate..
:angel:

Please advise us who you donated the parts to for the charger so we can contact them to confirm and put this issue to bed?  :popcrn: 
I'll put this to bed!!! 

Bobs69

Quote from: elacruze on January 26, 2011, 07:36:15 AM
Robin Hood, eh?

Dedication to your charities doesn't change the impact your actions have on a person. Ethics would suggest that you undertake all transactions with equal fair intent.

Or not.

Correction "true modern day Robin Hood"

skip68

Wow, this shows who dixie lee really is.   When put on the spot he disappears.   When he says "anything" he has for sale he sells for money goes to Make a wish, that means everything he sells...   Well, I guess I will make a few calls and see who knows dixie lee and let them know that he is claiming to be connected to them.  He is throwing their name around to all on the internet so he can make money AND CLAIMING all the money goes to them.   This should be good... Hahaha.  Sure seems like a lot of work just to make  money to give to charity.  This is smelling more and more like a scam to me if I ever saw one.   I would hope every member gives or could give to charity but that has nothing to do with what's going here....or does it ?????????.   So if this is all for charity I will find out and fully support you dixie lee....   Chuck.....
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

One more thing.  I will make sure I give the link to this thread to all the charities I talk to that he claims to be doing all this work for.  Then they can see and contact him if they have anything they need to tell him.