News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taxes

Started by Road Dog, December 15, 2010, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Dog

Alright, I have about had it with Johnston County Taxes. Got the Taxes due for the 1969 Charger today. Last year I paid 84 bucks in taxes on it. This year it is 364.00 in taxes. They claim the car is worth 46,000 dollars in average condition. They claim they are going by NADA. My car has never been restored and it is high mileage and a 318 car with a non numbers matching engine and tranny. I took pictures and told them what the car is worth. They now have dropped the value to 31,000 bucks. I figure my car is worth maybe 15,000 on a good day. What do ya'll think? Any advice on my next coversation with these folks.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Richard Cranium

I say you're getting hosed. However, I hear that overall taxes are generally pretty low in TX. If you want to talk about taxes, try living in MA.  :RantExplode:
I am Dr. Remulac

Road Dog

I'm in North Carolina.

hemi68charger

Taxes? What the heck are they taxing your car for? Or, are you referring to vehicle registration?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

chargermike

dont they have collector tags in NC.  In colorado we only have to re register every 5 years and no emission test. i paid 300. that seems like alot every year on a old car.

Road Dog

Property Tax. Just got off the phone again and got the price down to 21,600 bucks. Still way high for my car , but livable. This gal was saying she had all sorts of references and price guides from so and so to whosits and they are the experts. I told here what I thought of those experts and that I know the current market for these cars and maybe the county would like to come buy my car. It's like dealing with the mob. The same thing happens to folks with the property tax on their houses.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Road Dog on December 15, 2010, 01:58:05 PM
Property Tax. Just got off the phone again and got the price down to 21,600 bucks. Still way high for my car , but livable. This gal was saying she had all sorts of references and price guides from so and so to whosits and they are the experts. I told here what I thought of those experts and that I know the current market for these cars and maybe the county would like to come buy my car. It's like dealing with the mob. The same thing happens to folks with the property tax on their houses.

Property tax !!!!  on a car?!  Man oh man !! We pay property tax, but only on the house here in Texas.. If they tax your car, then what's next? Property tax on your refrigerator? Shoot, there's the "death tax" and now this? What the heck is this government coming to? If I ever hear of a person running for office here in Texas that moved from North Carolina, they aren't getting my vote.  :rotz:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

moparjohn

Knock on wood, I've never heard of paying taxes on a car every year.  Registation for a QQ tagged cars in NJ is only paid once by the owner, Reg renewal is "free" after that.  NJ is one of the most expensive palces to live, better not say too much, they always want more. MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

SFRT

property tax on a car??????????

I'd move to a different state.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

twodko

Un freakin' believable! That's taxation rape. What's next, will they come to your house and physically rape you? I thought Cali was one of the worst states for excessive taxation. I'm sorry to hear this, people are way beyond fed up being taxed upon taxes paid on taxes we already paid.
:icon_smile_angry: :RantExplode: :rant: :2guns: :fireangry:

Man I love my country and served my country but I loath and fear the government in this country. The best government money can buy!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

NGC414

I have never heard of property tax on a car. Is North carolina the only state doing this? How in the world do they justify it? Or what kind of spin do they put on it to make it seem ok? Tax is just a nice way of saying extortion these days.

nvrbdn

they should have to offer to buy your item for what they say its worth for taxes. that would stop gouging.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Road Dog

Yeah, we have to pay Property Taxes on vehicles in this state. My personalized tags are around 50 or 60 bucks a year. Years ago Property Tax on the Charger was a whopping 6 bucks. Go figure :shruggy: Every year it was going up until the insanity this year. 

ITSA426

Here, on old cars, we pay $90, one time, for collector plates.  Another $100 if you want them personalized.  Shh...  Don't tell anyone.

Ghoste

Taxes?  Try Canada, I paid 13% tax today on a postage stamp.  I wouldn't even want to start figuring what I pay a year in taxes through vehicles.

Silver R/T

Another good reason not to live in NC, first one being HUMIDITY.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

I live in Ohio and we pay taxes on the car when we transfer the title. Across the river in Kentucky they pay yearly property taxes on their vehicles PLUS the registration. Also, depending on where you live, you have to buy a city parking permit - even if you have a driveway and garage. Somehow, Ohio still ends up with higher overall taxes than Kentucky.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparsons

Quote from: Troy on December 15, 2010, 10:10:18 PM
I live in Ohio and we pay taxes on the car when we transfer the title. Across the river in Kentucky they pay yearly property taxes on their vehicles PLUS the registration. Also, depending on where you live, you have to buy a city parking permit - even if you have a driveway and garage. Somehow, Ohio still ends up with higher overall taxes than Kentucky.

Troy

West Virginia is pretty much the same as Kentucky. Taxes every year AND registration. :brickwall: The nicer (more expensive) the car.....the higher the taxes.  Some vehicles have an extra "luxury" tax.  :rotz: 

Andy

vancamp

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 15, 2010, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Road Dog on December 15, 2010, 01:58:05 PM

Property tax !!!!  on a car?!  Man oh man !! We pay property tax, but only on the house here in Texas.. If they tax your car, then what's next? Property tax on your refrigerator? Shoot, there's the "death tax" and now this? What the heck is this government coming to? If I ever hear of a person running for office here in Texas that moved from North Carolina, they aren't getting my vote.  :rotz:
try living in arkansas we pay personal property tax on everything you own, cars,house,4 wheeler,utility trailers, shops or sheds on the property etc.

vancamp

Quote from: ITSA426 on December 15, 2010, 03:50:41 PM
Here, on old cars, we pay $90, one time, for collector plates.  Another $100 if you want them personalized.  Shh...  Don't tell anyone.
thats the one cheap thing in arkansas i paid a one time fee of $14.50 for antique tags

moparjohn

Not to get this thing all heated up, but we PAID TAX when we bought these items, why why why should we pay tax again yearly!!!  These taxes should be fought and removed.  I understand property tax on a house.  I also disagree with tax on a used car, again the tax on this item was paid when it was new. For once I'm glad I'm in NJ.  MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

y3chargerrt

Knock on wood John.We are talking about taxes and you are in NJ!!

Chargen69

I'll still be paying only $12.75 for my yearly property taxes even when the car is restored.    for you NC people, cross the line and move into SC

1970Moparmann

All I can say is WHEN THE HELL WILL PEOPLE GET INVOLVED AND STOP OUR LOCAL AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!!!!  Said it before and will say it again. If people spent 25% of their time understanding government as they do with sports, this would be a difference country.

Chicago - high property tax, highest sales tax in the country, income tax (state is going to almost double it this year).  The one thing we don't have here is car tax or big yearly fee - I'm sure it's coming.  :brickwall:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 16, 2010, 02:21:05 PM
All I can say is WHEN THE HELL WILL PEOPLE GET INVOLVED AND STOP OUR LOCAL AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!!!!  Said it before and will say it again. If people spent 25% of their time understanding government as they do with sports, this would be a difference country.

Chicago - high property tax, highest sales tax in the country, income tax (state is going to almost double it this year).  The one thing we don't have here is car tax or big yearly fee - I'm sure it's coming.  :brickwall:

Amen to that brother.............
Troy