News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Estimate on horsepower of 440 rebuild.

Started by 540Hemi, December 12, 2010, 01:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

540Hemi

I have a 76' 440 that im planning to put in my 1970 Charger. My question is what would you guys think to be a good hp estimate after im done rebuilding it.
These are the parts im planning on using....

a Holley 750cfm double pumper carb
a Holley Intake
Edelbrock rpm camshaft
Hedman Headers
Possibly some new pistons, not sure what brand though if i do decide on them.

So my question is what would be a good estimate on hp and torque for my engine? i know i dont have good details so im just looking for a rough estimate. I hope to make somewhere around 500hp :/

1Bad70Charger

To hit 500 HP your compression will have to be at least 10:1 to 1 (and ideally 10:5 to 1), and would need Eddy alum heads or at least 440 source alum heads and the right cam, good elec. ignition, and a good flowing intake manifold like the rpm performer or holley street dominater.  To get that compression you will need new pistons matched to the heads your using to get the desired compression to make 500 ponies.

As we speak I am having my 440 professionally built for high performance street action, and it should be around 525HP (and more torque) and it will be at least 10:5 to 1 compression and will run 93 octane. I will be running Eddy heads, holly street dominator, MSD ignition, 750 Proform Carb and new Engle Cam 230/238, 110 LSA. .534 lift all at .050 valver operation.

500 HP is easy to hit with a 440 but you do need the desired compression and the right combination of parts referenced above.

Best of luck!  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

540Hemi

thanks man. its just i have a budget of like $4000. and cylinder heads are so expensive. plus im only sixteen and i'll be driving it to school every now and then and i have to also pay for interior and things of that sort.

metcoll

with 76 compression...probably 275hp & 325 tq...

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: metcoll on December 12, 2010, 12:42:59 PM
with 76 compression...probably 275hp & 325 tq...

I agree (lack of compression is going to kill your build-up)!   :brickwall:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

540Hemi

ok well now i know what i should be getting for sure. Here's the list

440 source "stealth" aluminum heads
Edelbrock Performer Rpm cam
a 750cfm double pump Holley carb
a Holley intake
Hedman shorty headers
and new dome pistons (havent looked into what brand yet, possibly speedpro)

think 500 horses is capable from this??

frederick

Looks fine, but loose the "performer" rpm camshaft.
I'd look at a Lunati or Engle camshaft instead.
Pick the camshaft after you've decided what compression you want to run.

Holley SD or Edelbrock performer RPM intake is OK, like mentioned earlier.

Brass

Compression is key.  If you're doing a rebuild, and you can afford it, changing out the pistons would be a good idea.  Otherwise you're leaving untapped horsepower on the table.  I'm not one of the experts but I understand that Keith Black ICON Forged Pistons are a good choice.  They're available through Summit for ~$475 a set.

540Hemi

Just wondering, what's wrong with the edelbrock camshaft? duration and lift seems good, so i was just wondering what makes a lunati or engle one any better? thanks.

charger2fast4u

if it were mine i would definitly replace the pistons with new ones from KB or similar the eddy camshaft has lots to be left on the table it is based off of one engine setup where as engle or  comp cams you have a more wide spread of choices on what camshaft will be better suited for what engine combo you build in my opinion ua engle or comp cam will be way better for your build and will help with the HP to also i would stay away from the 440 source heads but thats just me i'm a fan of indy or eddy heads as they are the better choices out they may cost more but well worth it have fun on the build take your time and research is the key

Cooter

I've made 500 plus HP with iron heads, but you better be ready to sink some money in 'em...Aluminum heads are the quick, easy, and now cheap way out of the old skool Iron heads where you had to have your sh*t together to make this kind of power...

I'd stay away from anything "Domed" piston...These are old skool tech and HEAVY...Good 'ol flat top, 4 Eyebrow "Six Pack" replacements from SpeedPro will get you there...Your gonna need some camshaft though...Don't know bout the Eddy Performer RPM, but I'd stay in the neighborhood of Duration @ .050 around 23-240 and lift somewhere in the .520-.540 range. This is with around 10.5:1 compression..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Quote from: 540Hemi on December 20, 2010, 09:23:25 AM
Just wondering, what's wrong with the edelbrock camshaft? duration and lift seems good, so i was just wondering what makes a lunati or engle one any better? thanks.

The Edelbrock cams are very slow (ramp speeds) and based on Chevy lobe profiles. The Engle/Lunati VooDoo series are fast rate of lift designs and better suited to Mopar builds. With low compression you need to close the intake valve early in the cycle to trap air in the cylinder and build torque. Cam selection on a build like this is critical.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Used a Edelbroeck RPM in my cuda some yaers back, first and last time. Terrible idle and no power
what so ever under 3000 rpm. :down:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Rolling_Thunder

I had a performer RPM cam from Edelbrock in my 440 and I was not a huge fan ---  too much duration with not much lift -  as Ron says - slow ramp speed...        I then swapped to an Engle cam and was so much happier with the result
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dangina

what kind of lift/duration are you looking for to hit the 500 mark?

540Hemi

Ok, my engine has finally gotten into the shop and is being cleaned up as we speak, and i think i have landed on the parts im going to buy for it.

440 Source Aluminum Heads
A Lunati cam, not sure which one yet
A holley aluminum intake
A holley double pumper 750cfm carb
Hedman shorty headers
As far as pistons go, the engine shop i took it to says they have a set of forged .30 over pistons that they would give me a deal for. So i may get those or Keith Black forged pistons.

But do i honestly need to run 10.5:1 compression to hit 500hp. that seems a little over the edge. I was thinkin 9.5:1. i dont want to be pouring anymore money into the gas tank than i'll have to already.

Cooter

Quote from: 540Hemi on January 16, 2011, 12:41:51 AM

But do i honestly need to run 10.5:1 compression to hit 500hp. that seems a little over the edge. I was thinkin 9.5:1. i dont want to be pouring anymore money into the gas tank than i'll have to already.

Yes, with aluminum heads, you need the extra compression due to the nature of aluminum dissipating heat better than iron...A 9.5:1 motor, with aluminum heads, most likely won't cut it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

Quote from: 540Hemi on January 16, 2011, 12:41:51 AM
Ok, my engine has finally gotten into the shop and is being cleaned up as we speak, and i think i have landed on the parts im going to buy for it.

440 Source Aluminum Heads
A Lunati cam, not sure which one yet
A holley aluminum intake
A holley double pumper 750cfm carb
Hedman shorty headers
As far as pistons go, the engine shop i took it to says they have a set of forged .30 over pistons that they would give me a deal for. So i may get those or Keith Black forged pistons.

BE CAREFUL of those "deal" Flatop Forged Pistons ? Not all Flat-tops are created equal ?
If they say speed pro L2266 on them, IMO, run away.
Ditto,
the GET 10:1 on the Aluminum Heads, PERIOD, no less !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

jhowell34

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on December 12, 2010, 02:00:59 AM
To hit 500 HP your compression will have to be at least 10:1 to 1 (and ideally 10:5 to 1), and would need Eddy alum heads or at least 440 source alum heads and the right cam, good elec. ignition, and a good flowing intake manifold like the rpm performer or holley street dominater.  To get that compression you will need new pistons matched to the heads your using to get the desired compression to make 500 ponies.

As we speak I am having my 440 professionally built for high performance street action, and it should be around 525HP (and more torque) and it will be at least 10:5 to 1 compression and will run 93 octane. I will be running Eddy heads, holly street dominator, MSD ignition, 750 Proform Carb and new Engle Cam 230/238, 110 LSA. .534 lift all at .050 valver operation.

500 HP is easy to hit with a 440 but you do need the desired compression and the right combination of parts referenced above.

Best of luck!  :cheers:
so is this 500 to the wheels or at the crank ?

Cooter

What's with all the "At the wheels or crank" questions lately? I mean C'mon guys, a 500 HP 440 AT the wheels? What's that like a 750 HP at the crank engine, on 10.5:1 compression? Without the use of at least a .800 Lift Roller cam? Yeah, Right.....

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free