News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vent Window Restoration:

Started by Captain D, November 30, 2010, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

I was curious to see if anyone has ever had their vent windows powder-coated before w/ a chrome-like finish and if so...How did they turn out, what was the cost, and any place in particular that does a good job? It may be an odd question, but seeing how re-chroming can be pricey, we were just curious to see if there are alternatives, such as powder-coating...

Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

doctor4766

I'd just splash out and have them rechromed.
After I'd virtually finished my car and fitted all new chromes pieces everywhere else, the original vent window frames stood out like dogs balls. Shoulda had them done while it was all apart the first time.
And for the sake of the hundred bucks for the new chroming I could have saved the hassle of the removal and refitting again.
I'm unfamiliar with chrome powder coating but if it doesn't fit in with the rest of the shiney bits you'll probably end up wishing you'd done it right in the first place.
Gotta love a '69

Patronus

Im about to put my old ones back in. Ones ok, but the passenger side is crap. You say $100/avg. to get em re-done?
I've seen the how-to's...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Patronus on November 30, 2010, 09:11:58 PM
Im about to put my old ones back in. Ones ok, but the passenger side is crap. You say $100/avg. to get em re-done?
I've seen the how-to's...

100.00 $ is a dream!! They cost me 900 for the pair. Some places I checked wanted closer to 1500.00.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

I'm  almost surprised it isn't a repro'd part yet.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the responses - 1HotDaytona is absolutely correct. To get originals re-chromed can run up through the $$ hundreds. I believe the average so far, at least for me locally, have been $700-$800 range.

I've been reading online that powder-coating may not be 100% like actual chrome, but its a cheaper alternative and what I've seen in my searches, the chrome-like finishing looks really good. Places that I've called around advertise that they can supposedly powder-coat just about anything for the automotive industry, etc.. But, when I call them and send them a pic of what I have here, they say that they won't touch vent windows. :icon_smile_question:

So, that's why I was curious to see if anyone here has ever actually found a place that will take on the project. If anyone has any leads, I'm all ears, lol!
All the best,
Aaron

y3chargerrt

I spent over $900 at Pauls Chrome a few years back to get my vents rechromed.

Patronus

:eek2: this is my least favorite thread
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

KSChrgr68

interesting, good info, hoping most of my chrome will pass as is  :D

I got my dreamcar in 2010

stripedelete

About $100 a side for me.  First rate job.

doctor4766

Man you guys are getting screwed over there for rechroming!!!
Seriously, I paid a hunge to have both the frames, the round hinge bits and the lower channels done.
Oh, and the job was nice to boot!
Gotta love a '69

68r/t

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 01, 2010, 04:09:21 AM
Seriously, I paid a hunge to have both the frames, the round hinge bits and the lower channels done.

Who was that by, Vincies?

bill440rt

I think mine ran about $200 - $250 per side.
They were pretty decent cores though. No huge pits, just a lot of peppering.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

doctor4766

Quote from: 68r/t on December 01, 2010, 07:16:04 AM

Premier plating.
Vincies are way too expensive.
You in Perth?
Gotta love a '69

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 01, 2010, 06:38:52 PM

Premier plating.
You in Perth?

Next time I need any pot metal chromed Im shipping it to you. It would still be cheaper.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68r/t

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 01, 2010, 06:38:52 PM

Premier plating.
You in Perth?

Yes I,m in Perth,  I never used Premiers I  used UltraChrome once but  Steve's arrogant attitude lost me after the first job,(rear bumper)  so Vincies got it all after that. Vincies wanted $100 each for the the vent frames.

Captain D

Just to double-check for clarification sake: Vincies' charges $100 per side to get re-chromed or was Premier Plating the cheapest?  :o  Still, $200-$250 is a nice quote after the ones that I've heard from. I'm not sure if powder-coating is the way to go or not, especially with those decent prices...best to just get actual chrome done, but a place called back today about the powder-coating. They said that to powder-coat a side would be $50-$75 per side and that includes the blasting, primer, and chrome-like finish.  :scratchchin: Its local, so I may just investigate about it tomorrow. Decisions decisions, lol.
Thanks!
Aaron

The70RT

The powder coating doesn't have a mirror finish from what I have seen.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Patronus

I had a downhill mountain bike frame powder-coated in a chrome type finish once. It came out ok, for about 2 weeks, when the clear coat started peeling off in huge chunks. They said is was tricky as they had to wait until the last minute to clear it before baking it and the two didnt always bond... interesting to see if they can do it now...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bull

Guess I'll be shipping my stuff to Australia when the time comes. G'day!

68r/t

Quote from: Captain D on December 01, 2010, 10:22:28 PM
Just to double-check for clarification sake: Vincies' charges $100 per side to get re-chromed or was Premier Plating the cheapest?  :o  Still, $200-$250 is a nice quote after the ones that I've heard from. I'm not sure if powder-coating is the way to go or not, especially with those decent prices...best to just get actual chrome done, but a place called back today about the powder-coating. They said that to powder-coat a side would be $50-$75 per side and that includes the blasting, primer, and chrome-like finish.  :scratchchin: Its local, so I may just investigate about it tomorrow. Decisions decisions, lol.
Thanks!
Aaron
Premiers was the cheapest as Doc got both done for $100.
I always told Vincies that I would pay extra for chroming diecast if they took a  bit more time with the polishing as they tend to get a little heavy handed on the edges,  all my diecast came out great.

bill440rt

Just dug up the thread I ran about vent window resto.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0.html

Chrome work was $480 for the pair, had it done at a local chrome plater in Newark, NJ.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

I have a set that I purchased from an unfinished project. The seller said they cost him $90 each side. I have no idea how long ago that was (I've had them for at least 6 years).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

doctor4766

I always told Vincies that I would pay extra for chroming diecast if they took a  bit more time with the polishing as they tend to get a little heavy handed on the edges,  all my diecast came out great.

The secret I've found when you're getting prices for rechroming is to NOT tell them what sort of car your parts are off.
I know when I was calling around for quotes on my bumpers as soon as the words Dodge and Charger were mentioned the price seemed to double.
Was either Vinci or Ultrachrome that wanted $800 a piece for those!
Instead I just loaded my bumpers into the ute and took them up to Premiers.
Lol I just told them that they'd come off and old Valiant and I only ended up paying a couple of hundred dollars each for them.
The grille chromes were a different story though.
Being bright anodised I could only get those done at Ultrachrome and I paid a small fortune for those.
Gotta love a '69

stripedelete

Quote from: doctor4766 on December 02, 2010, 04:55:52 PM

I always told Vincies that I would pay extra for chroming diecast if they took a  bit more time with the polishing as they tend to get a little heavy handed on the edges,  all my diecast came out great.

The secret I've found when you're getting prices for rechroming is to NOT tell them what sort of car your parts are off.
I know when I was calling around for quotes on my bumpers as soon as the words Dodge and Charger were mentioned the price seemed to double.
Was either Vinci or Ultrachrome that wanted $800 a piece for those!
Instead I just loaded my bumpers into the ute and took them up to Premiers.
Lol I just told them that they'd come off and old Valiant and I only ended up paying a couple of hundred dollars each for them.
The grille chromes were a different story though.
Being bright anodised I could only get those done at Ultrachrome and I paid a small fortune for those.

True Dat!