News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint my car?

Started by Blusmbl, December 28, 2005, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blusmbl

I've probably posted a half dozen of these threads on different boards at one time or another... problem is, now my car's dangerously close to needing paint and I still haven't decided.  :icon_smile_cool:  I have narrowed it down a bit though...

Choice #1: dark racing green w/black top, black stripe, and black interior.  68 hemi Dart hoodscoop, hood painted orangosol black.  Probably original torq-thrusts for wheels, 15x4 up front, 15x8.5 out back.  Pic attached of the only dark racing green Charger I can find.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Blusmbl

Option 2: Dick Landy Super Stock colors.   I love vintage race cars with a passion.   I also never see cars painted in the Dick Landy colors.   Only differences, I may not put his name on the door (I'd just leave it blank), and I'd probably switch over to American Racing TrackStar wheels since I've heard plenty of horror stories about spinning the centers out of Cragar S/S mags.   :devil:

So... your thoughts? I'm honestly on the fence at this point, I can't decide one way or another.   I'll probably be flipping a coin when it's time to buy paint!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Blusmbl

One more of each. :D  No other options, Chargers look good in almost any color... I'm just trying to choose between these two.  :icon_smile_cool:
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Blown70

LANDY,

I personally not a huge green fan... But would never say its bad.

Tom

BigBlockSam

QuoteLANDY,

I personally not a huge green fan... But would never say its bad.

:iagree:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blusmbl

I'm not a huge green fan either.  However, the dark racing green is a nice, meanacing, manly green.  :P  My car was originally the lighter shade of dark greens for '68, the only way I'd keep it green is if the color got a couple shades darker. 
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

rt green

landys colors. you'll be the only one on the ....block?   to have that. it would be pretty bad ass. if that ges old after a few years, its always easier to go with a darker color later.
third string oil changer

GTX

I love the dark green for several reasons and I'm still thinking of doing mine in one of the dark green colors.
Some of my reasons are:
A:  I had a triple green '68 R/T and loved that car.
B:  I like dark green...dark colors in general.
C: It's not a color you see on tons of Chargers, at least not around here.
D: I just think it's like black Chargers, pretty evil looking when it's a good clean color although you really gotta make sure it's nice.
Green with black = evil to me especially with the right exhaust. :yesnod:

Mostly of course it's your car and although some may like and some may not, I say do it as you like it not how others think unless you have an eye towards selling for top dollar when you get it done, then you want one of the more popular colors.

Blusmbl

The dark green definitely looks mean.  It's an awesome color.  I really can't decide between the two, and I've been debating this for years.  :icon_smile_dead:

I did think I had the only green '68 Charger in my neighborhood, until I showed up at Wild Woody's on Gratiot and a twin to my car was there.  Non R/T, and it was a smallblock car, but it still shocked me.  There's a couple green '69's in the area, too.

Black would look awesome, but that particular dark green is so dark it looks black in most lighting anyway.

I'm definitely not worried about resale, either... I've had my '68 for over 4 years now, and I know I'm keeping it forever.  :icon_smile_big:
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

bluesfool

My choice would be the dark green (the darker, the better)...mainly because I love subtlety. I really love the second pic you posted of the green charger. Although I have to admit even though both looks would be unique, the flashier landy colors would draw even more attention to the car (and look great as well). I'm not a green fan either but the dark green combined with a dark top would look sharp! As for myself, I have dark blue highlights on my black charger and I love it. My dad didn't even notice the blue on my Charger until his third visit out (he's in Ohio and I'm in Delaware) and I'm sure other people have overlooked it as well, but once they notice it, it impresses 'em that much more.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

I think you should go for green, That landy paint scheme would be cool at first, but I'll bet you'd get tired of it after a while. Thats why I chose not to GL my 69, sure it would draw alot of attention, but sooner or later, I'd get tired of it. good luck witch ever way you go :)

hemi68charger

I would go with the dark green scheme you're talking about........ What's with the hood scoop? Will it be functional or cosmetic?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Blusmbl

That's the other thing I'm worried about... all the extra attention the Landy paint would cause.  I'd have to explain it everywhere, and it might get old after awhile.  It does look incredibly period-correct and bitchin', though!

None of the drivetrain on my car is original- it all came from a '70 donor, trans, engine, and all.  Mine was originally an automatic car, and a previous owner swapped in the 4 speed parts (minus the Dana... I just did that over the summer).  The rust was so bad around the wheelhouses that it ended up being easier to move them inboard 2.5", so now I've got mini-tubs, too.  Also found a fair amount of evidence that my car was stolen at one time... ignition switch was cut & spliced, driver's door isn't original (it's a '69 door, door lock rod moved, plus it's mismatched), found glass inside under the carpet, etc... anyway, point to the rambling is, it'll never be original, and I don't plan on treating it as such.  The hoodscoop will be functional, however I won't be cutting up my steel hood to do it- have a spare fiberglass one waiting to go on.

Eventually once it's back together I'm going to try running the NMCA's Nostalgia Muscle Car class with it- they run on an index, so poor people like myself that can't compete at a heads-up level still have a chance.  :icon_smile_cool:

Any more comments/opinions are welcome, I'm honestly just thinking out loud, and I'm probably going to change my mind another couple dozen times between now and when it's time for paint!

Nick
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

ChargerHound69

Landy :yesnod:

You don't see that everyday.

GTX

Sadly I don't have a better pic of my green '68 but I like the color. Many thought it was black from a distance and especially at night but I like the green.
It was almost a twin of your second green picture except for the hubcaps and mine had a green top.

blackcharger

Quote from: Blusmbl on December 28, 2005, 06:57:21 PM
Option 2: Dick Landy Super Stock colors.   I love vintage race cars with a passion.   I also never see cars painted in the Dick Landy colors.   Only differences, I may not put his name on the door (I'd just leave it blank), and I'd probably switch over to American Racing TrackStar wheels since I've heard plenty of horror stories about spinning the centers out of Cragar S/S mags.   :devil:

THAT....would be DANDY!! :D :D

Andrew

What about bright white?
A PW7 B-body would look kickass.

firefighter3931

Landy with the RO scoop....that's a perfect car for mr cadzilla/mailjeep.   :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blusmbl

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 29, 2005, 07:48:33 AM
Landy with the RO scoop....that's a perfect car for mr cadzilla/mailjeep.   :devil:

:lol: :smoke:  I'm so mild mannered in person, it's quite a contrast to my personality.  Definitely matches my other cars though!  :coolgleamA:

White w/black top/stripe would look awesome.  Same with silver, or candy apple red, or maroon, or b5 blue, or black, or yellow... it's impossible to make a '68 look ugly.  I can't bring myself to paint it any other color, though.  I've thought about these two choices pretty much since I bought the car.  I'm considering quadruple black as well, but EVERYBODY has black Chargers. :/

GTX - I take it yours was an original dark racing green car?  I've only seen pictures of that one from Idaho, both pictures I posted are of the same car. :D
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

charger01

Hmmmm No would mentioned orange with a rebel flag ;D

BigBlockSam

here's a picture of my 70 charger r/t. i hate the color but it all original. down to the last bolt. so i guess i will restore it in the same color. i'd like to do it sublime green. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Brock Samson

I vote for a modified Landy paint job,.. i wouldnt continue the stripes all the way to the front on top,..
the green would be fine though,..  ^-^

like you said though, hard to screw up such a beutiful design,.. just don't use some weak-assed color.
I like em dark too.  ;D

Spike

So use a little of both, paint the Landy with the green in place of the red. Add your own personal touch.
See if you can photchop a pic with different paint colors on the Landy Charger.