News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Third gen sunroof cars...

Started by ramairthree, November 06, 2010, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

that would be great!
i look over every and any intact, apart, etc. third gen sunroof picture or source I can.

Legendary Auto does adverstise a two bow 73/74 sunroof headliner.

It is the perforated material, and I think I recall those years were originally non-peforated.
But regardless, and also despite it would be the only decent, non ghetto piece in my entire interior, that is the only source and I will end up going that route.

I appreciate all the time and and what you have done for help with my sunroof.

ramairthree

well, the bezel came today.
it is not just "chrome cracking and peeling" as I was told.

The plastic is actually cracked. 

But, they don't grow on trees.

I am using gasket maker on the side that does not show to salvage it.

ramairthree

ps- the manual does not show,
but can anyone tell me what size/type screw holds the bezel in place,
and the same for the handle.

it looks like just a sheet metal screw for the bezel, but any special size/shape to the head?

And a machine screw for the handle, like window handles, but of a different size.

thanks for any further info.

1ol72charger4me

Just wanted to let you know that SMS Auto Fabrics had the correct material for my 74 sunroof car. It was kind of a weird cloth. They will sell you the cloth or a headliner. Pretty pricy though. Just for the record, my draintubes just end in the 1/4 panel also. No drain holes. Good thing it was a CA car, or the 1/4s would be history. I also heard that big Olds and Cads had the same sunroof and somebody on Moparts said the company was still in business but new parts are expensive. There was a real good thread on  Bbodies only about sunroof cars.

Alaskan_TA

QuoteAnd a machine screw for the handle

Philips head, 8/32 thread & 1/2" long from the end to the fat part of the head.

ramairthree

Well,
I could use some more help.  I am using the 74 body service manual, and the first step to remove my sunroof is to remove the liner.

It requires me to open the panel some, then slide the sunroof sliding panel back into the open position.

My sunroof will not open.
I get nothing with working the crank. So am just trying to slide it back.
but nothing.

Any hints on how to slide open the sunroof with a non working crank?

Thank you for any help.

I now have a car with everthing ready to be roadworthy except getting the wiper linkage right,
and am hoping to get the sun roof at least not leaking bad and hopefully working.

ramairthree

alright, I have an update.

The sunroof was not so much stuck, as needing help.

My handle DOES engage-
only I have to push very hard up on the mechanism for it to engage without slipping.

Then, because the roof is so tight to open, it will slip and not move even though engaged.

You have to push very hard to get the roof going, and move and inch or so at a time while pushing up, cranking, and pushing or yanking on the actual sliding portion.

I was able to get it open as far as about five or six inches of sliding portion still showing.

Any fully open pics I would like to see, I think it is supposed to go all the way in.

I can get it fully closed, but it sags a touch in back.
It is also not a fully tight seal.

I know they are designed to leak some, but if it rains hard and is real windy, some water ends up not flowing in the pan to the drain tubes, but ends up in the rear floormat area.

70 Charger RT

I don't know if you're interested or not but I have a 77 Cordoba sunroof complete.  I cut it out so that it could be welded in to another project.  If you want it, let me know.  I'll give you a smokin deal.  I'm near Edmonton, Alberta.  I can see by the dates of your posts that you were working on yours last year.  Not sure if you fixed the problem or not yet.

70 Charger RT
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

ramairthree

Thank you for the offer.
I am good to go except for the gear mechanism and a nicer bezel.

(plus I should put some headliner material on the headliner frame I guess)

I should be able to get the sunroof out and work on it now.
I have lubed everything I can get to with it in and removing the front and side cable track covers.

I think I need to get more mud wasp, etc. junk cleaned out of the pan to roof space for it to open all the way.
That, plus lubing everything and use I think I will have close to usable with minor pulling and pushing.

I think I am going to make holes for the hoses to actually drain out and gasket maker them to seal them.

I may smooth a bead of gasket maker around the weather stripping when it is out, and then let it dry.  that may give me a thin bump to the sealant and with adjustments may manage the leaking enough.  I wish I could store it inside.

I also want to see if I can take the pan off, and cover everything in eastwood or por rustproofing for long term. if not there is a paint for internal frames i can run in there.

thank you for all the help so far on the forum.