News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Third gen sunroof cars...

Started by ramairthree, November 06, 2010, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

I have a manual 74, even if I find a bezel and crank at less than a fortune price,
I doubt I'll have a functioning sunroof for years.

It leaks like crazy.  I have it taped off on the outside with duct tape for now.

I am going to seal it up.

Not bondo it in or anything, It will still appear to have a sunroof, just not functioning.

Have any of you done that?

I am thinking
shoe goo
ultra black gasket maker
silicone adhesive

What do you think you think would be best?

Also, anyone that had installed a headliner in one of these cars,
or knows how to get the rearview mirror tight instead of dangling like a disco ball on a string,
I would love to hear your tips.

thank you.

Alaskan_TA

If it is leaking, there are two possible problems, either the pan is rusted out, the drain tubes are clogged or they have come loose.

The first step is to locate where the 4 drain tubes exit the car & blow them out with compressed air.

If your pan is rusted out I know a guy that has a good one, shipping would be expensive though.

ramairthree

thank you,
I am not in good enough shape for those tips yet, I wish I was. 
it is way simpler than that,
it does not close tightly
and seems to be missing the parts and not functioning to get it to.

i dont have a pic from the inside right now, but I should get some tomorrow when I am working on the floor

Alaskan_TA

From memory, it does not look to be 'ramping' up at the back. They are adjustable.

Ramped up or not, it will leak if the drain tubes are not clear. (or if the pan has rustholes)

FLG

PLEASE don't do what you described  :eek2:

Figure out what you need and post up in the wanted section, you'd be suprised at the genoristy of the people on this forum.

Btw where are ya located?

Alaskan_TA

A list of missing / broken parts would be good. I know that the one I am aware of has the pan, handle, cables & small parts. The chrome bezel is cracked & in bad shape though I think, if needed I can get a closer look at all of it.

ramairthree

Trust me, I do NOT want to do it.

I just have to end the leak.  The car starts, runs, stops, and all the front exterior lights work.
Not quite roadworthy yet.  But it lives outside and braves the weather.

I have been going over the body manual,
but think I am missing more than just the crank handle and bezel.  The passenger side is propped up by a socket, and there was nothing propping the driver's side up, where it is lowest.  I am missing all headliner except the shreds of the last two bows.  So I am not sure what it should look like from the inside.

I have two hoses coming out behind the rear lower panel/seat belt retractor covers.

I will post some pics tomorrow to see if anyone has some ideas / pointers of how to stop it leaking wihthout sealing it.
(meant to be a reversible fix, not permanent)

I will get so pics on here tomorrow, and  will accept any and all tips at trying to end the leak without sealing it.

I wll list what I think I have compared to the manual list.

thank you

Alaskan_TA

The two front hoses travel down the inside of the A-pillars. Look in the front wheel well area for where they exit. Blow them (four total, two in front, two in back) out with compressed air & the leak should go away if the pan is in good condition.

It was asked before, where are you located?

ramairthree

Thanks for the email Alaskan,

here is where my hoses go-
not good as they do not exit the car-
who knows what and why was done

obviously missing the bezel and handle
when I try it with a window handle a little wiggle each way but nothing else
I do see cables in there

This is the general shape

I dont have a day to dedicate to dissaembly and reasembly right now, but from the pics how bad off do you think I am?

the hoses not exiting right really tthrew me off

Alaskan_TA

I see at least part of your problem.

Remove socket.

Rotate arm out.

Rotate it back in, but get it below the roller.

Repeat for other side if it looks the same, that will allow the back to ramp up.

ramairthree

Thanks,
I'll give that a try.
Does anyone have a pic of where  the hoses should come out?

Alaskan_TA

The rear ones went into the wheel wells on mine.

The fronts somewhere behind the rear of the front fender, look for holes.

moparjohn

I have a crank handle, a parts guy sold it to me as the emergency crank for my power 69 sunroof,it is not.  $10. 
plus ship it's yours.  I paid $50 for it, just better to see someone who needs it get it. MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

FLG

I hope this helps you

http://img831.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=40735659.jpg

Click on each image, and right click and "save as" and youll get the full image and you can zoom in on it and read everything (its quite readable)

:2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 06, 2010, 10:28:41 PM
The two front hoses travel down the inside of the A-pillars. Look in the front wheel well area for where they exit. Blow them (four total, two in front, two in back) out with compressed air & the leak should go away if the pan is in good condition.

It was asked before, where are you located?

It must be top secret  :shruggy:

ramairthree

Quote from: moparjohn on November 07, 2010, 08:29:53 PM
I have a crank handle, a parts guy sold it to me as the emergency crank for my power 69 sunroof,it is not.  $10. 
plus ship it's yours.  I paid $50 for it, just better to see someone who needs it get it. MPJ

you are too awesome,
I'll be happy to get it.  I sent you a PM.

One step at a time!

I can't find holes for the hoses to come out,
I must be missing something will keep on checking.

ramairthree

Quote from: FLG on November 07, 2010, 08:59:07 PM
I hope this helps you

http://img831.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=40735659.jpg

Click on each image, and right click and "save as" and youll get the full image and you can zoom in on it and read everything (its quite readable)

:2thumbs:

thanks, that worked great, better pics of the exploded diagram than I have

ACUDANUT

ramairthree

OK,
I got the spring arms under the rollers, but it actually pulls the rear lip down some.
Anyways, will keep working it.

Also,
I think the previous owner (got it from a guy who's uncle bought it new) bondoed in the exit holes and then sprayed the inner fenders with truck bed liner/undercoat.

Any pics of where the hoses enter would be pefect, so I know where to sand down to and get the hoses going out again.
I can trace them all down to behind the rear lower interior panels and behind the kick panels, so I should be close to getting them routed right.  great exploded view on the links pic I have to say, but not actual exit points.

Thanks again.

For other progress, I got the 73 interior I had modded to take the seat belt retractor covers,
reflectix and rust encapsulator on the floors (nice and solid, found two pin holes in rear drivers pan, everything else surface rust, salvaged the rear tray with a piece of vinyl to refurb the top surface.  dynamat was about 150 for 36 sq feet delivered.  I got 100 sf of relfectix for 37$.

ramairthree

Thank you MoparJohn,
I got the handle today.

Looking forward to the weekend and some car time!

moparjohn

Cool man, glad it's being used in a car and not on my shelf. MPJ

ramairthree

ok, here is what I found also with two other guys-

no holes the hoses actually exit through

just right into behind the kick panel

and right into behind the rear lower panel

I thought there should be holes they exit through and not just drip behind the panels,
but two others have same set up.

could be I was wrong about someone closing up the holes.

ramairthree

well, I can't say I got the sunroof working,
even with all this time.

but finally,

I scored a bezel for the sunroof handle !

I might have to get a headliner ordered now.

I remember finding one company that made the sunroof headliners.

moparjohn

Sunroof headliners are a hard find.  I had the local upolstery shop make and install mine, very good work. Ask around at car shows, someone else there had a headliner installed by a local shop.  Keep on working at it, nothing happens overnight, I too wish it did. OK, one more thing, I have, somewhere, a video showing how a sunroof in one of these cars functions (power) but the rest is very simular.  IF I can find it, would you like a copy?  (I know the answer, LOL!)  MPJ