News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone mod their lights?..

Started by Brock Samson, December 27, 2005, 06:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I know (Savage '68who appearantly just sold his modded Charger did his entire electrical being an engineer and all) but has anyone else done any tweaks?..
Some of the stuff i've concidered are the front parking lamps being swapped for more modern helogans (or however it's spelt...)
and rear sequencials with blu-dotts, (the modern style not the ford crap). last I checked Dakota Digital would custom make a dash insert for the guages for $900.oo complete.
just wondering as my imagination far exceeds my pocketbook...

defiance

Well, I don't think this is really the level you're looking for, but oh well :P ...     I'm sure many have replaced the wiring and/or added relays to enhance power delivery, as I have...   I've also replaced the headlights with halogens equipped with 'halos', and wired the halos in with the parking lights.   Makes a really cool effect at night!

Lights were pretty inexpensive on ebay.   I was really just looking for nicer lights, but stumbled on these and have been VERY happy with them.  

Haven't really done anything else, though.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

defiance

Well, they're on ebay for pretty inexpensive...  ebay's blocked from my workplace though, so I can't look now, but I'll see if I can find them when I get home.

defiance

Ah, here are some.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALO-DIAMOND-CUT-HEADLIGHTS-70-74-DODGE-CHARGER-EURO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8024931499QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Like $30 per set (two sets per vehicle).  Another nice thing is that it converts them to use standard H4 bulbs, so it's much easier to change when they go out.  The only two negative things are they are all high-beam style, so you have to bend the third pin out of the way (might be able to change to a low-beam style bulb?  I didn't bother; it works perfectly by bending the 3rd pin :) ) and you have to wire the halos to your parking lights (pretty easy, really).

Smoke20

Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

Ghoste

I've never seen anything like that on a car before.  That's wild.

Rolling_Thunder

I replaced all my wiring so i used standard housings and am now using the newer style H1 and H4 lamps....    give off alot more light
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

phat69charger

Rolling_Thunder, do your headlights have a blue, pink, or amber hue to them?

I also found these on ebay too, but I have no idea of what the little blue bulb is for, the ad calls them City lights what ever they are, are they like parking lights? does anybody know what the little bulbs do?   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-66-73-DODGE-CHARGER-EURO-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHTS-W-BULBS_W0QQitemZ8027318209QQcategoryZ33710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rolling_Thunder

my lamps are just regular looking white....     not the pasty yellow but not blue, pink, or amber....

the little bulbs in those headlights are basically like a running light...   it illuminates the lamp but doesnt look  like a headlight as the output is lower...   in short it is a means of lighting the lamp but does not illuminate in front of the car like a headlight....    thats what i understood of it anyway....    i was looking into those but just went with the basic ones instead
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

I did the same using glass lenses made by AutoPal.   Last year I did only the low beams.

I just ordered a set of the matching high beams last week......
Like Rolling stated thet are much brighter and not "ricey looking"
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AKcharger

So just confirming, they are a bolt in replacement with only modifications being the "halo" wiring and the 3rd pin right?

Looks like a "Must Do" modification!

defiance

Yep - although they benefit from using a relay to supply power to them just as much as the stock lights, so I personally did that, too.

NYCMille

I did an actual Xenon conversion to my Charger - each light has it's own separate ballast and works great. I bought the kit from AutoDynamics, it wasn't cheap but it was well worth it.

Nacho-RT74

Just and advice as a light "tech" and also experience with a friend of mine using that shiny blue light ( Xenon ). If you have that kind of shiny white/blueish or hight temp light will get LOTS of reflection over light colors, but won't find reflection over dark surfaces like yellowish lower temps light does

One example is with regular or halogen lights which are lower temp lights so then yellowed lights you find the light beam cone painting the road so you notice any detail over, BUT I have noticed with those white/blueish beams no "painted" beam over roads so hard to  notice the road and dark surfaces, for a while LOTS of reflections on lighter colors like road white lines or if somebody has a white cloth over.

There is a reason to have on city roads light poles those YELLOWISH bulbs called SUN light or kinda off.

I don't know if I explained clear enough... still needs better english LOL.

Oftenly, LESS is better. Is something I have learnt on sound and light, and I think easy to aply on real life.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

2Gunz

I wouldnt recommend getting the new style lamp housing and just putting in some HID bulbs.

Firstly it isnt street legal. The light output is bright but just goes everywhere.
And its dangerous for other drivers.

Ever drive down the road and all you see is some blinding Blue/white light?

Thats some asshat with HID lamps stuffed in some normal lamp housing.

If your going to do it please do us all a favor and do it right.

What you are looking for is a projector style, with a focused light output.

If you have no idea what Im talking about and want to know if you have the correct ones.....

Park your car like 30 feet from a wall and turn the lights on.  If your lights have a distinct

Light area and a dark area (basically a fuzzy line) then that is the correct version.

If the light just pretty much goes everywhere then that is the bad version.

Anyway I have yet to see a properly modded headlight with HID's in them.

And Im sure it not because they are not out there, its just that I dont notice them

because they dont stand out.

Ive been talking to a local headlight dealer and in a few months will have something that is legal

and might work for the charger. If they work out Ill let you all know.

autodynamics

I can honestly say the hid conversion kit is probably the top 5 things to do to your charger. The lights are about 300% brighter, last longer, burn cooler, and by far are the best way to illuminate your charger, or any other car. The bulbs feature a shield which directs light downward not smeared. The light output is so dramatic i will give a full money back guarantee. Thats the confidence i have. Mike from MR. Angry Inc, has them as do some other members. Dont be fooled by some members here sayiing there not street legal. Last i checked most of our cars arent street legal. carbs exhaust intakes etc. etc. here are a few pics. You guys do the homework and buy not from me but anywhere. The lights are truly unbelievable .

autodynamics

autodynamics

well that could be said with any light. of course they would go up. but that shouldnt be a problem unless i put 800lbs in the trunk.

autodynamics

LOL NOT AT ALL. The lights are not like you imagine. Any light pointed at your head would be blinding. They are amazing. Also if you drive with 4 passengers in the car there is no reason the car would lean back. if you have that problem you have other things to concider rather than you lights like scraping the ground, blowing out your shocks.etc

Reidar

So autodynamics.. Do you sell these kits? Tried to visit your website, but it was under construction. How much does a kit like this cost?

Reidar

autodynamics

i do sell these lights. the whole kit, the hid kit and the hella housings are $500 plus shipping

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 06, 2006, 05:17:02 PM
I did the same using glass lenses made by AutoPal.   Last year I did only the low beams.

I just ordered a set of the matching high beams last week......
Like Rolling stated thet are much brighter and not "ricey looking"

Quote from: autodynamics on February 07, 2008, 12:32:17 AM
I can honestly say the hid conversion kit is probably the top 5 things to do to your charger. The lights are about 300% brighter, last longer, burn cooler, and by far are the best way to illuminate your charger, or any other car. The bulbs feature a shield which directs light downward not smeared. The light output is so dramatic i will give a full money back guarantee. Thats the confidence i have. Mike from MR. Angry Inc, has them as do some other members. Dont be fooled by some members here sayiing there not street legal. Last i checked most of our cars arent street legal. carbs exhaust intakes etc. etc. here are a few pics. You guys do the homework and buy not from me but anywhere. The lights are truly unbelievable .

I REALLY LIKE HOW THE HEADLIGHST BEZELS LOOK ON 69... as far I know those were 68 and not 69 stuff ( unless I'm wrong ). If I'm right,  why the hell they didn't fit on 69 like on 68 ?

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree: thats why I used them on mine and so did AutoD & others.  Definitely improves the look of the headlight bucket & finishes off the grill.  These were pictured in the 69 model brochure as well but never made it to the 69 production model....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T