News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor Mount: 71 440 Charger - Lots of engine movement

Started by magnum_rt, October 30, 2010, 03:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnum_rt

My 440 engine shows what I consider to be a lot of movement under hard acceleration. The engine tends to torque up. I have new mounts in place. I noticed that one hole in each of the new mounts are much larger then the bolt diameter. Can any one tell me if this lift is common? Why is the hole larger on the mount then the bolt diameter?
Thanks.
1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

The hole in the insulator where the mount attaches to the K-member is oversized to allow for proper fit, the attaching bolt should have a large washer which will cover the oversized hole once tightened.

If the engine is torquing up excessively on the drivers side under load the bolt could be loose or the new mount has failed. The only way to know for sure if the movement is excessive is to place a long pry bar between the shock tower and the exhaust manifold and pry the engine up while observing the mount or, if you're the brave sort, lean over the fender while somebody power brakes the car and observe the mount.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

magnum_rt

Thank you. I removed the 'loose' bolt and noticed the split washer wash broken in two. I also noticed that the hole inside the k-member has the same large size. Seems like an odd design to me. Looks like the oversize hole could take an inner tube to take up the movement. Since I took this apart many years ago I could not remember if one existed. I guess there isn't one... I'll replace the broken washer and torque it down. I appreciate the technical support...

1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum

John_Kunkel

Even though the hole is oversized, the sides of the mount that cradle the K-member will pinch in when the bolt is tightened and grip the K-member enough to prevent movement.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.