News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

End of an Era, Goodbye Sony Walk Man...

Started by Brock Samson, October 26, 2010, 05:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Ponch ®

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 26, 2010, 05:03:00 PM

Anyone else saddened by the loss of high quality blank audio cassette tapes and players?..  :cryin:

uhhh...no.  :nana:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

DC_1

I remember getting one of those with a cassette of Pat Benatar for my birthday as a kid.....wait, did I just admit that!?

Ponch ®

Quote from: Sydmoe on October 26, 2010, 05:28:13 PM
I remember getting one of those with a cassette of Pat Benatar for my birthday as a kid.....wait, did I just admit that!?

well...did you take the tape and copy Iron Maiden's "Powerslave" over it?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

learical1

OK, I had an 8-track recorder.  Slam the blank 8-track tape into the machine, put the needle on the LP on the turntable, and go.  Instead of getting that annoying fade out-fade in as you changed track on prerecorded 8-tracks, there was a quick but still annoying 'click' in the song when the player changed tracks.  Don't remember what ever happened to that recorder, but most likely a tape got stuck in it and completely ruined it. :icon_smile_angry:
Bruce

Ponch ®

Brock Samson

Well,.. there was a time in the early mid '80s when i had to have the top of the line TEAC tape decks, not the reel to reels,..  though I had a couple of those too,.. but the professional quality TEAC cassette recorders to make my 4 track Demo. prior to going into a professional studio to record for real on their tape machines,... Yeah i finally made the transition to DATS and Cakewalk and all that, but you whipper snappers just wait intill internal combustion engines are all outlawed in favor of electric golf carts made in China and you shed a tear for the 440 MAGNUM or whatever, and some wise assed pimpily faced newbie says "mopar?.. what's that?..  :shruggy: or some other smack about your beloved long ago outlawed, superceded and crushed MOPAR...

:RantExplode: Kids....  :-\

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Brock Samson

cause some of us actually were out of diapers in the 60s, '70s and '80s... for the record I recived my first cassette recorder in 1969 for my 12th birthday,.. I recorded woodstock in the movie theater and listened to it everyday about 10 times...  :shruggy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsiUsF2ptz0

Neal_J

Per NPR, its is Japanese manufacturing of the WalkMan, and not the WalkMan itself, that is ending.

Charger RT

never liked cassette. I went from 8 tracks to CD to mp3
Tim

learical1

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 26, 2010, 06:28:32 PM
Well,.. there was a time in the early mid '80s when i had to have the top of the line TEAC tape decks, not the reel to reels,..  though I had a couple of those too,.. but the professional quality TEAC cassette recorders to make my 4 track Demo. prior to going into a professional studio to record for real on their tape machines,... Yeah i finally made the transition to DATS and Cakewalk and all that, but you whipper snappers just wait intill internal combustion engines are all outlawed in favor of electric golf carts made in China and you shed a tear for the 440 MAGNUM or whatever, and some wise assed pimpily faced newbie says "mopar?.. what's that?..  :shruggy: or some other smack about your beloved long ago outlawed, superceded and crushed MOPAR...

:RantExplode: Kids....  :-\
Mid 80's, when I had my recording studio, I had a PCM that recorded a 2 track digital signal on a VCR.  That, my 1" 8 track and my 1/2  tube 2 track were my main claims to fame.  (My recording studio is where most of my share of the money went from selling the SuperBird, Charger 500, and Hemi Challenger in 1983.)
Bruce

Todd Wilson

Its sad to see it go but its like anything else. Technology marchs on and things become dinosaurs. It will sit nicely along side my old RCA Victor all vacuum tube console AM radio as one of the many great pieces of technology that set the industry on its ear when it came out.

Todd

chargerboy69

I remember in the early eighties some of the Walkmans were fairly large.  Throughout the eighties they did get smaller.  I remember quite well listening to A-Ha and Duran Duran over and over when I was a kid on mine.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

BigBlackDodge

I remember 'capturing' songs off of the radio with my cassette tape player back in the day.....hit the play and record buttons at the same time
! We would call the radio station requesting the song and then sat there waiting for them to play it............and we waited and waited....

When they did play it the stupid DJ would sometimes keep talking as the song started! Grrrrrrr........ :eek2: I'm recording here buddy!!! :slap:

BBD

PocketThunder

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 27, 2010, 08:36:01 AM
I remember 'capturing' songs off of the radio with my cassette tape player back in the day.....hit the play and record buttons at the same time
! We would call the radio station requesting the song and then sat there waiting for them to play it............and we waited and waited....

When they did play it the stupid DJ would sometimes keep talking as the song started! Grrrrrrr........ :eek2: I'm recording here buddy!!! :slap:

BBD

Especially when the school talent show was comming up and i was going to lipsync to the song "my flag boy is gonna set your flag on fire.." or what ever that song was.  I had the whole gym singing along with me back in 8th grade but i ended up losing to some kindergarten kids doing the beach boys kokomo song. :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RECHRGD

The first thing I did after buying my Charger back in '68 was install a 4 track stereo in it.  That's right 4 track!  They had a short period of popularity before the 8 tracks took over.  Hell, Walkmans are still new to me!  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

nvrbdn

i still use 8 track in the charger, my kid asked me why do it with all the new stuff out there. told him when i was in high school in 73-74 with my 68 charger that was the sound and i want that back!! even found the kraco hump mount speakers for the back window. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

draftingmonkey

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 26, 2010, 06:42:11 PM
cause some of us actually were out of diapers in the 60s, '70s and '80s...

Yeah Brock, not only do some of us remember, but we still use it.  I still play around with recording on my Akai and Pioneer reel-2-reels, cassette decks, even 8-tracks. I actually play and listen to more vinyl than cd's, have a number of tube pieces, and don't own an ipod/mp3 player.  There still are a few of us old school boys out there. FYI - have 60+ pieces of vintage gear and about 40 pairs of speakers to play it on. Good thing I got an understanding wife.

Nacho-RT74

I still have my first and only one Sony walkman and still with the box, just the headphone is gone. Walkman is not working perfect though, but looks repairable. Some cosmetics details too

Can't recall the model and I'm not at home. will post about later

what I didn't know is abouth these really were made:
http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-Sony-PS-F9-Portable-Record-Player-phono-turntable-/220680184059?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33619060fb

an LP walkman!!!! grooovy. Sure I would love to get one!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

41husk

I remember recording songs onto blank Cassets of the mono radio KSHE-95 real rock radio :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

learical1

Quote from: 41husk on October 28, 2010, 01:56:23 PM
I remember recording songs onto blank Cassets of the mono radio KSHE-95 real rock radio :2thumbs:

I still have 5 cassettes of Dr Demento, edited from numerous shows in the late 70's.

They don't make Nun Names like that no more.
Bruce

Old Moparz

I had a cheap cassette player from Radio Shack that was a Walkman knock-off. It was handy when I was commuting by bus & subway, but I hate carrying things in general. As far as cassettes go, they were great. I still have my original TEAC deck from the 70's, although I did change a belt once. I bought a 2nd TEAC deck when I was recording jam sessions with friends. It was a dual recording deck with mic inputs in the front that would make 2 tapes at the same time. I haven't made a cassette recording in a few years, but would if I had a need to.

I know digital is the way to go, but I don't want to spend money on another gadget unless everything explodes on me. You can still find quality cassettes if you have to, like TDK SA90's here.... http://www.buy.com/prod/tdk-audio-cassette-2-x-90minute-high-bias/q/sellerid/19306247/loc/111/204618299.html
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html