News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats this 68 RT worth?

Started by DC_1, December 26, 2005, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

I came upon a 68 RT, fresh restoration that I have a chance to pick up for $26k. Is it worth t?
Body is pin straight.Paint is good.... under side of the car is as shiny as the top. Relatively fresh 440. It is a column shift car but has factory A/C and power windows. It has the original #matching motor but not the tranny. The fender tag is missing. He claims it was somehow lost during the resto. Exterior is great....it has the original interior which needs new covers but everything is there.

What is your opinion? Is a car with the original motor more valueable than one with the fender tag? Can I get a fender tag? What does it cost if I can?

Sorry about the bad angle on the pics......the car was in the garage and it was a crappy day when I took these so i couldn't get him to move it outside.

DC_1

more

Rolling_Thunder

pretty good deal now adays.... I'd snag it if i had the means
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69charger2002

weird color combo. i expected black interior after seeing the stripes and top. but i think if it's restored right, it's worth 26k no question. and yes a #'s matching motor to me means a heck of a lot more value wise than a fender tag. a fender tag is just cool to have, but a #'s motor is much more rare and desirable in my opinion
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

sharpspike

did R/T's come with column shifts?

DC_1

The car came origianally with a white top and white tail stripe....the guy didn't like that combo and changed it during the resto. He was planning on changing the interior to black as well

69charger2002

Posted by: sharpspike 
Insert Quote
did R/T's come with column shifts?

yes they did. not that common, but not really rare either.. if that makes sense
trav

derailed

Id say its worth that in a heartbeat. Did you check the numbers on the motor against the car. I was somewhat under the impression that early 68s didnt have the vin stamped on them and you could only check the date against the build date of the car but I may be wrong and im sure somone here will correct me if I am.

bull

I'd say $26k is a steal for that, but it is an odd color combo. I'd be tempted to switch the interior to black if it were me, or go back to the white vinyl and stripes.

Quote from: drailed on December 26, 2005, 09:55:41 PM
Id say its worth that in a heartbeat. Did you check the numbers on the motor against the car. I was somewhat under the impression that early 68s didnt have the vin stamped on them and you could only check the date against the build date of the car but I may be wrong and im sure somone here will correct me if I am.

Starting in Jan. '68 the engines were stamped if they were 383 HP or R/Ts. Non-HP 383s, 318s and six-bangers were not stamped. Prior to January none of the '68 Chargers got any engine stamps IIRC.

PocketThunder

its worth it.  you cant build that same car for less than $23G
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

73ChargerSE

Wow, that is an excellent looking car  :o.  If I were older, and had a better job, I'd sure pony up the cash   :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:.  Would love to see how it would look with the white top and stripe, must be pretty sharp

65post

.Someone put alot of time and money in that one. Looks like a pretty good deal.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

BigBlockSam

Quoteearly 68s didnt have the vin stamped on them 
:iagree:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bull

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 27, 2005, 12:56:12 AM
Quote  early 68s didnt have the vin stamped on them  
:iagree:

It depends if you're talking about early '68 '68s or late '67 '68s. After January '68 all the HP and R/T Chargers got engine stamps.

derailed

I believe the serial numbers were put on mid 68 motors that were going into 69 model cars

440 Fanatic

Are you planning on buying it to NOT lose money?,,or do you really genuinely want THAT Charger?
If you are never planning on reselling it,,what does the cost matter? Considering that it is as nice as it is,,if you can't decide,,then the decision shouldn't be made for you.

Silver R/T

seems like good price but too bad about the tag, lots of value is lost with it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

89MOPAR

Does "fresh resto" mean new paint   ?

Not to pee on the parade , but the front drivers seat looks like it needs a serious scrubbing, the passenger seat has a split seam, and there's a big gouge in the drivers side door armrest.     

Not thaqt those things should be deal-breakers but, they'd cause me to go over this "fresh resto" with a fine tooth comb and make sure what worked and what didn't.   Besides that if you have been to see it in person - I guess so as you said he didn't want to take it out because of bad weather - then you need to get it outside and examine the paint. Paint looks better in garages with electric light than it does in sunlight.   And you should drive it. Maybe the engine knocks like a woodpecker or the brake pedal drops to the floor - who knows ?
Press bent exhaust is the cheap way to go also....
Beware vinyl dye [?]

I wouldn't dog it for being a column shift.   My former 70 R/T was column shift with " buddy seat" instead of console.
    OK , enough skepticism, just trying to help you protect your wallet and level of frustration in the future.....
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

8WHEELER

If it was mine I would put the white top back on, and the correct white tail stripe good looking combo.
I would have a problem myself with no fender tag, but if this is a car you plan on keeping for a long
time its not as much of a concern. Plan on re-doing the hole pearl white int, it will look great but that
will cost some good money to do, but its easier than painting it   ;D

They made a lot of 68 RT's with column auto with buddy seat.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

is_it_EVER_done?

Personally I could care less about numbers matching as long as the title matches the VIN, but if it's important to you, then this isn't the car for you. If however, your looking for a bargain on a nice Charger, then judging by the photos you provided, it appears to be well worth it, but only you can be the judge since photos always make a car look it's best.

It's obvious that someone took time and care in the preparation for paint since it was disassembled, cleaned, and preped instead of a quickie job, so if the paint and body are as nice as it looks, and it runs/drives well, with working A/C, radio, gages, windows, non pitted chrome, no rust, etc., then it is well worth the 26K as you sure couldn't duplicate it for that no matter what anybody might say.

If you buy it, just be prepared for the number of people "morons" that will criticize it due to the missing fender tag. Just treat your purchase decision as if it was a cloned 318 car. That way you won't agonize over the presence or lack of numbers, and you can then concentrate on the cars merits and quality, instead of it's future worth.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Is the build sheet intact/available?   If so  repro tag can be made form the buildsheet.

It does look like a nice car but like others stated it looks like a few corners were cut to "move" the car (ie, trim, fit & finish etc)
Overall I like the color combo the way it is right now
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

DC_1

Quote from: 89MOPAR on December 27, 2005, 02:30:47 AM
Does "fresh resto" mean new paint  ?

Not to pee on the parade , but the front drivers seat looks like it needs a serious scrubbing, the passenger seat has a split seam, and there's a big gouge in the drivers side door armrest.   

Thanks for your feedback.....The paint and body are new and i crawled all over the car and would say no corners were cut.The interior is all original and definitely needs new covers and a little TLC. All the gauges work and look ok but definitely could also go for a rebuild as well.

I have a 69 383 car that I am in the early stages of restoring.....I need floor pans trunk pans and quarters as well as a little tail panel work and general body work. I will also have to put on a new vinyl top and redo the interior. When I look at all that and see this car that is relatively done it makes me think I should go for the turn key and sell off the project car.......And as some one asked I would keep it for a while and I know I would loose money but is it one of those deals I should jump on or let it pass.

69charger2002

if you can get it for $25k or so, jump on it. i am getting to the point where i'd prefer turn key cars. i mean sure there is an unreplaceable gratification that comes from taking 2-3 years to restore your own car, but let's face it. none of us are getting any younger. the longer you can actually "enjoy" driving a charger, the better..
anyway   here's how i would make my decision:
take the original body, in this case an R/T. and assume it's worth $5k in rusty but fixable condition. then look at the car as it is today, factor in everything done to it including body/paint, new top, all the way down the list.. and if you get even CLOSE to 25k or beyond, and can save yourself the year or 2 of having to WAIT for it to get to that stage.. then go for it. also as far as the lose money part, i don't think you will. the thing i have found most enjoyable about chargers.. is that they are the opposite of newer cars. you buy that car for $26k TODAY, enjoy the car for 2 years, keep it in same condition, and you can put 20,000 miles on it even.. and when those 2 years are up, you can probably easily still get $26k for it, or maybe even more by then. that's the beauty of it, you just can't lose with them.
good luck and let us know what you decide
trav

bull

If you can be sure they didn't botch the body work I'd go for it. Body work and paint on the one you're restoring is going to cost you $10k minimum unless you do it yourself. Even then it will probably run you $5k to $6k. And how much did you pay for it initially? Say $5k or so? Say $2k-$3k to finish the interior, roughly $3k to rebuild an engine and probably another $5k-$10k to finish the rest. That adds up to between $25k and $31k, not counting all the time you're going to have to donate to do some or all of the work yourself and all of the new or good used parts you'll probably have to buy.

six-tee-nine

I'm sorry for the offtopic...but this is realy interesting.

I am wondering what R/T's go these days....i'm not relly looking for a showcar, but im into restoring myself and i am thinking of spending something around 12K.

Does that buy me an R/T???
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...