News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drums to discs - Which kit is the best?

Started by DanneP, October 16, 2010, 03:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanneP

Hi!

So this winter I'm planning on upgrading the brakes on my '68 Charger R/T,
which now has power drums.

I've been looking around the forums and googling a bit, but I just can't decide
what brand I should go with.

These are the two kits I'm thinking about right now:
http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=246      MP Brakes

http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/detail/index.cfm?nPID=8572               SSBC

Any thoughts?

Also, I've thought about the Hydroboost setup which I've read lots of good stuff about..
Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Daniel

DanneP

Oh yeah, I forgot...  I'm using 15" wheels

Fred

Hi DanneP,  in regards to the hydro boost.........adding it and the front disc brakes from SSBC is the best thing I ever did. The car stops on a dime so to speak, no more hairy moments! :scared:   It all works beautifully. Both a well worth spending your money on. Once you've installed it you'll have no regrets :cheers:  Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

DanneP

Sounds great!

How about the installation, was it bolt on?

Fred

Yes it's a bolt on and so easy to do. The instructions are very easy to follow and if you're mechanically minded then it's a piece of cake.
I love how it performs and will use the system on all future projects.  If you want to see any pics, I've already posted some in the charger discussion board under "got a pic of your charger"  Fred

Rolling_Thunder

I have the SSBC front kit on my 68 Charger but am going to be looking to sell it in the near future...     

I am going with way bigger discs so I just simply don't need them anymore ---  they were a night and day difference from the manual drums (i kept manual discs)

So I would highly suggest them...    the MP kit is based on the chrysler stuff - but they master cylinder and booster set up looks hideous...   like most aftermarket ones...

I would get either disc kit but use a hydroboost.      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

DanneP

Thank you both for your input!  :cheers:

Just thought of something... Will spare parts be more costly if I choose SSBC?
Since MP uses Chrysler parts I'd imagine stuff like rotors and pads would be cheaper?

Fred

Sorry don't know..............for me it's all about quality and performance.  Fred

DanneP

Quote from: Fred on October 17, 2010, 02:22:42 AM
Sorry don't know..............for me it's all about quality and performance.  Fred
I feel the same way.
But if there's a way to get equally good parts while saving a few bucks, why not  :2thumbs:

Well, the SSBC kit is the first on my list right now.
Anybody else willing to share their thoughts?

68coronetGLwannabe

I have the SSBC kit and could never get it to work with power brakes. I converted my car to manual and they work great now. There is also a single piston caliper setup on ebay thats about half the cost. With this kit you change the spindles and its about the same amount of work. I have this set on my 68 Coronet (also manual) and they work just as good as the SSBC kit I purchased and installed on my 69 Charger. There is a bunch of thread on SSBC kits and the problem people have had right here on this forum. Do a search and you will have plenty to read.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

DanneP

Thanks.

I just searched the forum and read some of the threads...
People seem to have had some serious issues with SSBC kits,
so now I really don't know...
Maybe MP will be a better choice.

HPP

f you rconcerned with original like appearence, ease of securing replacements parts, high quality, easy fitment, and saving a fist full of cash, skip the kits and get original parts; http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

Belgium R/T -68

Hej Danne :cheers:
I have MP disc setup but a stock rebuild powerbooster/mc setup. If the brakes doesn't get better then they are after 150 miles I will go for Willwood discs with hydroboost.
Bad brakes destroyes a complete car in my opinion, doesn't matter how good and nice the rest is.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

DanneP

Wow... I thought that starting this thread would help me make up my mind,
but I'm getting more and more confused  :icon_smile_big:

SSBC seems to be the best thing since sliced bread, but also the worst crap
ever produced, depending on who you ask...  :scratchchin:
Some love their stuff, others can't get them to work like they should.
Or they just fall apart.. Hmm...

HPP: Thanks, I stumbled upon that article a while ago, and that was my original plan.
But then I got lazy and thought it'd be nice to order a brand new complete kit.
I might have to reconsider though  :scratchchin:

There's a couple of junkyards here in Sweden that specializes in American cars,
maybe I'll give them a call to see if they have the parts I need.

Supercharged Riot

Dont feel bad DanneP
I've been doing continuous research on these forums the last few months and I came to the same dead-end as you.
I'm not going with the SSB kit set up because I read too many complaints on this forum about it.
And besides,

I really want to invest on a Viper SRT-10 brake setup because I'm going to use 17" wheels.
No one really posted a DIY or How to.. yet.
No I still have no idea where to start. 

I read the Mopar Action tutorial on parts to use, but I can't find any spare steering knuckles online.
Magnum force has some new knuckles, but they're pretty expensive.

Rolling_Thunder

The problem with the SSBC front disc kit revolves around their Force 10 disc brake kit that uses aluminum calipers---

If you order their standard kit it uses steel 4-piston calipers with a decent rotor with a slotted option ---    

I know Chris used the same kit I did and he praises it as well...     I love my kit - just going bigger.  

The parts availibility is not an issue -  I did a ton of research on these kits when building my own and discovered what parts they use...    lets just say they are available at ANY parts store...   

six-tee-nine

For powerbraking you cant get any better than with the Hydroboost setup. You loose the stock look of course.......

I would not dare to try SSBC. I just read way more bad reports about them than good.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Long Island RT

I have the wilwood 12.19 disc conversion.  It fits behind 15" steel wheels.  I originally had power drum - now I am manual disc with no issues.  I'm using the 4 piston superlite calipers - not sure if the 6 piston calipers will fit behind 15" wheels.

I may eventually put on the hydroboost - however - I can lock up all 4 wheels - it just takes some effort.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

twodko

DanneP,

No worries, it can and is difficult to choose the best brake system at the best price. I've got a 69 R/T with OEM power assist drum brakes. When I switch over to discs it'll be a setup from MP Brakes. I made this conversion on a 69 Chevelle (don't tell the rest o' the gang I owned a chebby) and it was money well spent. Easy to install and much cheaper than SSBC etc. If you have the cash for a high dollar setup go for it but an MP Brake system will stop my R/T just as well as the big money systems AND no headaches. Good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

charger2fast4u

I got the ssbc kit for my 68 front and rear I haven't installed and tested them yet car is still being redone so I don't know   if ill run into any problems with them seems most of the problems people are having is getting the right master cylinder setup for them and some actually have parts breaking I might sell my whole kit and go with a wilwood setup if I had the choice id buy the wilwood over ssbc I got my kit before everyone started posting about having problems wish I would have held off  longer on buying them

Troy

Daniel,

the brakes on that Charger never were very awe-inspiring but I hated to deviate from stock. They were horrible before the new master cylinder - but still stopped better than a standard Charger. Whatever you convert to, keep all the original components since the R/Ts came with the bigger 11" drums and they can be hard to piece back together.

My Challenger has the MP (manual) kit and stops really well. I've never used SSBC on any of my cars so I have no experience there. I have a very nice kit from Dr Diff for another car but it requires 17" wheels.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

FLG

Dr.diff also sells the kits for 15" wheels, cass is a great guy to deal with. I believe he gets around 520 for the rear kit.

DanneP

FLG
Thanks, I'll look into it!  :cheers:

Troy
Yes, any stock parts I take off the car will be saved  :yesnod:
It would be nice to keep the car stock, but I want to upgrade some
stuff to make it more enjoyable to drive.
:vert:

Patronus

We have a 13" Baer system in an A body f/r, nice quality. Pretty $$ tho'.
I was thinking the XV route, anyone??
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Patronus on October 24, 2010, 02:35:58 PM
We have a 13" Baer system in an A body f/r, nice quality. Pretty $$ tho'.
I was thinking the XV route, anyone??

The XV stuff is just stock mustang cobra stuff on a machined hub...           it works...     but a little weak with its 2 piston calipers IMO -