News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Torsion Bar chrossmember cut out or whole replacement?

Started by PatrickPeeters, October 15, 2010, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickPeeters

Front Torsion Bar of my 68 Charger isn't to bad (or it seems) except where it's connected to inner rockers.

Cut it out and weld in new fresh metal or replace the crossmember.

Thanks Patrick
Patrick  :punkrocka:

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

PatrickPeeters

Hi,
Here's pic, didn't clean it up yet, but the only part that is bad is the part between rocker and the framerails to the front of the car.
What you guys thinks?
Don't want caps, so New section or replace torsionbar?
Keep in mind in real life it doen't look as, awfull as in this pic..  :scratchchin:

Thanks Patrick

Mike DC

:Twocents:

If the original tranny crossmember is intact on both sides where it meets the front subframe rails and totally intact between them, then I would probably elect to patch some rust out at the edges near where it meets the rockers.  That's not a huge area to deal with and I imagine the rockers themselves were gonna get work anyway.  

If the tranny crossmember is rotten at the front subframe rail junctions and/or in between them, I would swap it out.

PatrickPeeters

Thanks, What you describe as "part that must be good" I do believe that that area's are OK.
a good cleanup of the current rust, cut out the bad part and weld in the new piece, that's the way I wanna go.
I can always choose to replace the hole thing, if the "patching" is getting me where I want it to be.

Thanks for response.

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

NMike

the rotten parts are at the ends. WHY just replace the outer ends? seems like alot more work than just dropping in a whole new member.

i vote new.

PatrickPeeters

Thanks, considering new.. :yesnod:
Otherside seem to be ok.
Here's a better pic, somewhat cleaned up.