News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I thought all the '68 383 4-speeds were "sold" cars....

Started by Dans 68, October 12, 2010, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

I was just perusing the web for '68 383 4-speeds (once a week...It's a sickness :P), and realized that one of the fender tags in my collection did not have the "u1" stamping, indicating that the car was ordered by someone. I attached a photo of the tag, and of one (a 383 2-barrel 4-speed) having the "u1" stamp. Interesting that an XP 383 4-barrel (in this case) 4-speed was built by the factory without having a buyer lined up. I'm mildly puzzled, to say the least....

Any opinions out there?  :smilielol:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Why were you under the impression they were all ordered that way? I never heard that rumor.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on October 12, 2010, 09:38:10 PM
Why were you under the impression they were all ordered that way? I never heard that rumor.

me either

Dans 68

Never any rumor that I've heard of. It is just that since there were so few of that particular combination (A 4-speed XP) it lends itself to only being built if it was ordered with. I can't see the factory building them just for laughs and giggles as they were so scarce. I can see the factory building '69's that way based upon the quantity made (3,549 made out of some 69,000 XP's) That fender tag obviously disproves my theory.  ;)  I guess it is time to come up with a new supposition.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

A383Wing

both our 66's are factory 4spd cars...neither were "ordered" that way...no "1" under the "U" on either fender tag...

Dans 68

Quote from: A383Wing on October 12, 2010, 11:38:49 PM
both our 66's are factory 4spd cars...neither were "ordered" that way...no "1" under the "U" on either fender tag...

Interesting...good to know. This will require a lifetime of examination, no doubt.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

Dans 68

That is (used to be?) Bev's car. She is a member here and of the Mopar Alley club in San Jose. She has been wanting to sell it for a while and pursue other dreams. It is a beautiful car. And you are right in that is is not a "sold" car. Also interesting in that the color is not typical...must have been specifically specified by "someone" in the know.  :scratchchin:

Dan

rarefish

I have always seemed to focus on the R/T's but now that I have looked at the production numbers of the 383 4 speed cars.  It turns out that they are the real rare Chargers in 68!    :scratchchin:

Dans 68

Quote from: rarefish on October 14, 2010, 01:41:47 PM
I have always seemed to focus on the R/T's but now that I have looked at the production numbers of the 383 4 speed cars.  It turns out that they are the real rare Chargers in 68!    :scratchchin:

Yes they are. There were qty 333 4-speed 383 2-bbl's and 4-bbl's made, while they made a (relatively) whole bunch of the run-of-the-mill R/T 4-speeds (qty 2,954).   :icon_smile_big:

A companion question comes to mind; how were the Chargers ('the '68's in this case) specified at the factory (dealership?) for configuration? Who made the decision to build a 4-speed Hemi, or a 383 2-bbl 4-speed, or even a plain Jane 318 auto with a rear window defroster that was not a sold car? Men in black suits? The Janitor on the swing shift at the Hamtramck plant? Color me curious.  :scratchchin:

Dan

rarefish

I always figured that cars came two ways. Cars that were ordered by a buying customer that were then coded as a "sold" car, and cars that were bought by the dealer for their on the lot inventory. These cars would not have a number under the U on the fender tag.
I'm good friends with the son of the owner of the Dodge dealer that sold my Charger new back in 68. He worked at the place back in the mid to late 60's and remembers when my Charger was delivered.
He has a collection of 1968 dealer advisory books and info that few people have ever seen today. He showed them to me many years ago and I remember seeing marketing info that was supplied to the dealerships telling them what were the popular options and colors that the buying public would want. It recommended a mix of cars and options that the dealership should order for their show room and lot inventory.  I also remember that the factory said that their studies showed that green was a popular color with buyers and recommended that you should stock green colored cars.
  Just an add on note, my friend asked me if I was interested in buying the collection of 68 dealer info that he has. I told him that it depended on the price. Since then we have never brought up the subject again. I'm thinking now that I should give him a call about buying them.... :yesnod:

Dans 68

Quote from: rarefish on October 14, 2010, 03:18:06 PM
...I'm thinking now that I should give him a call about buying them.... :yesnod:

Absolutely. A treasure trove of paper, no doubt.  :yesnod:

Dan

bull

I also remember that the factory said that their studies showed that green was a popular color with buyers and recommended that you should stock green colored cars.

No kidding. ;D Seems every third 68 Charger was another shade of green.

[quote
  Just an add on note, my friend asked me if I was interested in buying the collection of 68 dealer info that he has. I told him that it depended on the price. Since then we have never brought up the subject again. I'm thinking now that I should give him a call about buying them.... :yesnod:
[/quote]

Please do. :drool5: But don't sound too desperate.

Dans 68

...or borrow the book to copy. I just want the information.  :yesnod: Have him FedEx it to me,  I'll color copy every page, and then return it.   :angel:

Dan

maxwellwedge

I always figured that cars came two ways. Cars that were ordered by a buying customer that were then coded as a "sold" car, and cars that were bought by the dealer for their on the lot inventory. These cars would not have a number under the U on the fender tag.
I'm good friends with the son of the owner of the Dodge dealer that sold my Charger new back in 68. He worked at the place back in the mid to late 60's and remembers when my Charger was delivered.
He has a collection of 1968 dealer advisory books and info that few people have ever seen today. He showed them to me many years ago and I remember seeing marketing info that was supplied to the dealerships telling them what were the popular options and colors that the buying public would want. It recommended a mix of cars and options that the dealership should order for their show room and lot inventory.  I also remember that the factory said that their studies showed that green was a popular color with buyers and recommended that you should stock green colored cars.

That is correct on "Sold Car". The dealer would check this off on the new car order form if it was a customer ordered car rather than a car the dealer ordered up by themselves. I was looking at almost 100 of Grand Spaulding Dodge files and all had "Sold Car" on them. I asked Mr. Norm if all were sold. He told me, "Nah - We checked off Sold Car on most of the order forms because Chrysler would ship them quicker to us".

Dans 68

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 14, 2010, 07:16:12 PM

That is correct on "Sold Car". The dealer would check this off on the new car order form if it was a customer ordered car rather than a car the dealer ordered up by themselves. I was looking at almost 100 of Grand Spaulding Dodge files and all had "Sold Car" on them. I asked Mr. Norm if all were sold. He told me, "Nah - We checked off Sold Car on most of the order forms because Chrysler would ship them quicker to us".

So that stamp on the fender tag is worthless (as far as uniquely meaning something). Good to know.  :2thumbs:

Dan

charger490

i ordered my 68 4sp 383 4bbl  in jan. and got it in april. i dont have any papers because in 1969 i was hit headon by a drunk driver and that was the end of that one.

Dans 68

Quote from: charger490 on October 14, 2010, 07:57:12 PM
i ordered my 68 4sp 383 4bbl  in jan. and got it in april. i dont have any papers because in 1969 i was hit headon by a drunk driver and that was the end of that one.

Sorry to hear that.  :'(  Damn shame. Wouldn't happen to have the vin, though (or any paperwork on the car)?  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

charger490

i think i have ihe paper work somewhere but i moved 12 times and i cant find anything anymore. if i come accross it i will let you know

Chad L. Magee

Dan-  Have you ran across any other 4-speed 68s with the white with red inserts interior in your searches?  Just curious.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

A383Wing

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on October 15, 2010, 03:42:15 PM
Dan-  Have you ran across any other 4-speed 68s with the white with red inserts interior in your searches?  Just curious.....

there was a 68 3-spd manual up here that had that interior

Dans 68

If you are referring to seats (white with red inserts) then no. Otherwise please enlighten me.  :yesnod:

Dan

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 15, 2010, 10:38:02 PM

If you are referring to seats (white with red inserts) then no. Otherwise please enlighten me.  :yesnod:

Dan

When I sent in my registry info to TDC on my red/white 2-4, Wayne told me that particular interior was pretty rare on any 1968 charger.  Guess not many customers picked it out of the catalog....

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: A383Wing on October 15, 2010, 07:18:18 PM

Do you happen to have the fender tag info on it by chance?  What was the exterior color scheme?  Thanks....

A383Wing

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on October 17, 2010, 04:56:57 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 15, 2010, 07:18:18 PM

Do you happen to have the fender tag info on it by chance?  What was the exterior color scheme?  Thanks....

gold exterior...slant 6 car with 3-spd manual on column